Model Cars Magazine Forum

New funny cars from Revell?

I found this on one of the other model sites I frequent. does anyone in the "know" have any info on wheter this could be true. Im as giddy as school girl if this is true

"I went to the Hot Rod Reunion at Beech Bend yesterday and saw the Revell booth. I looked at the "coming soon" section and noticed they're coming out with the '69 Hawaiian and Chi Town Hustler Chargers the first quarter of next year. Feller said the were taking extra time with the tooling for the chassis because of the off-set drivers cage, but I can't remember which car he was talking about.

Could be old news, but I was kinda suprised.

l_a76c0bec48df474bac7f028df5df0467.jpg

l_e67079eb29534321a7787b5ea5308468.jpg"

I found this on one of the other model sites I frequent. does anyone in the "know" have any info on wheter this could be true. Im as giddy as school girl if this is true

"I went to the Hot Rod Reunion at Beech Bend yesterday and saw the Revell booth. I looked at the "coming soon" section and noticed they're coming out with the '69 Hawaiian and Chi Town Hustler Chargers the first quarter of next year. Feller said the were taking extra time with the tooling for the chassis because of the off-set drivers cage, but I can't remember which car he was talking about.

Could be old news, but I was kinda suprised.

l_a76c0bec48df474bac7f028df5df0467.jpg

l_e67079eb29534321a7787b5ea5308468.jpg"

I have the original Hawiian somewhere, don't recall if it was originally Revell. Maybe its a reissue, but I have heard nothing about this.

I have the original Hawiian somewhere, don't recall if it was originally Revell. Maybe its a reissue, but I have heard nothing about this.

Yes there were both revell and MPC hawaiian kits but from what I'm reading above this will be a new tooling. I hope this is true especially for the Chi-Town car as it was a side by side car as in the driver and the and motor were staggered rather than inline.

chitown.jpg

Edited by TxRat

I saw this post and had to run straight to my calendar to see if we were still in the month of April. I too would love to see more drag toolings, whether they be modern or vintage, but, without trying to sound too pesimistic, I can't see where it would be financially in Revell's interests to do two seperate toolings for the same body style. The Hustler was in fact a side shifted car, with a side mounted roof hatch, but the Hawaiian car was a traditional style chassis with the engine and driver in the center. They would have to do two seperate chassis or at least a seperate piece to convert one to the other.

I saw this post and had to run straight to my calendar to see if we were still in the month of April. I too would love to see more drag toolings, whether they be modern or vintage, but, without trying to sound too pesimistic, I can't see where it would be financially in Revell's interests to do two seperate toolings for the same body style. The Hustler was in fact a side shifted car, with a side mounted roof hatch, but the Hawaiian car was a traditional style chassis with the engine and driver in the center. They would have to do two seperate chassis or at least a seperate piece to convert one to the other.

Its all over the straight liners news group and on spotlight hobbies as well.

Quote from spotlight: Revell has announced that they will be offering a new “Chi Town Hustler†’69 Charger funny car to represent the contemporary car currently running at the nostalgia races. It’ll be all-new tooling with the trick offset chassis used on the current real car, and it’ll also incorporate the functional and safety features of the new car. They’ll also be doing a “Hawaiian†’69 Charger funny, also to represent the current car, and it will share the same body but will use a more conventional chassis which they will likely revamp from a vintage Revell piece. They’re both scheduled for early ’10. Sorry, no pics yet.

BRING IT!!!!!!

It would be nice to see some ALL NEW pro stock or pro mod kits come out, but I doubt that will ever happen....

All I 've seen so far, is the old soff seal and charles carpenter top sportsman cars repackaged with generic decals and such.

The same treatment was given to the pro stock oldsmobile and firebird kits.......yawn.........Sadly, it's not really to much to be excited about.......Give us something completely new already!!!!

Im all for that, Id love to see a modern up to date kit..even as a generic kit to get by most trademarks, slixx has us covered with decals anyways.

eh, I don't see a huge market for these. I think maybe the NHRA put up some money to have these done because I just don't see a big enough market for Revell to do these.

and yet we are still without a ZR1, 2010 Camaro, and 2010 Mustang kits. ohh well

Edited by gasman

I was thinking the same thing....The license issue is likely the main problem since everybody wants a ridiculous fee for this and that and the other thing, but it would be very cool if Revell went ahead and tooled up an all new kit of an up to date subject, with an up to date engine combo, and threw in some generic decals just to get it on the store shelves....like you said, slixx decals would pretty much cover the aftermarket...

I can't even remember the last time Revell did a pro-stock kit....The "summit racing" firebird perhaps?.......and that was a LONG time ago.......

It is possible that the reason Revell is doing the "Nostalgia" versions is because they do not run in NHRA sanctioned series, and therefore do not fall under the NHRA's copyright infringement.

If any of you ever get to an NHRA National event, make sure you read the back of the ticket. You may be amazed at what you read. I was.

Basically it says that the NHRA owns any photos taken at one of their events. Even if you are the ones taking them. They are granting you the privelidge of taking photos, video, etc for your own private use. Technically we are not even allowed to post the photos on the web.

I appologize in advance to any lawyers who may frequent this board, but sometimes all of this BS seem like some lawyer is simply trying to justify why he has a job.

PS!!

Sign me up for both of them. And I too would love to see new versions of Pro-Stock and Pro-Mod (especially a blown version or 2 or 5)

Ohhhh and how about a new tool Fuel Altered!!!!!!

I see that Slixx is now offering decals for the Rolling Stoned & Tweedy's Rat Funny Cars. These are 2 "local" nostalgia cars from here in the Philly metro area. I have seen both run at the Englishtown Funny Car Reunions over the past years. They are beautiful cars. Both are finished extremely well.(I guess i shouldn't say that the Rolling stoned is a nostalgia car. It is actually Joe Jacono's original car that has been restored and upgraded to meet current safety stds.)

I was at E-town the first time Joe got back into his old car. He was supposed to make a burn out and dry hop only. Well...After Joe dry hopped, he staged and wailed the throttle for better than a half track pass. That is the first time i have ever seen a car come completely off the ground when the loud pedal was mashed. WOOOHOOO! No lie, there was daylight under all 4 tires. Then, the crazy (he really is) Son of a gun actually drove the car back through the pits to his trailer. What a sight. I was stoked!!!

Faint rumblings are that Slixx may be producing another Philly racer's Funny Car. Rocky Perrone, Whose Boss Hydro & Big Time Memories Willy's Gassers (33 & 41 respectively) are currently available from the decal giant may be having his brand new Screamin Eagle 77 trans-am Funny car. But there may be some licensing issues because of the clear Harley Davidson tie-in. Here's a link to some photos of the car. Screamin Eagle F/C

Edited by Tommy Kortman

It is possible that the reason Revell is doing the "Nostalgia" versions is because they do not run in NHRA sanctioned series, and therefore do not fall under the NHRA's copyright infringement.

If any of you ever get to an NHRA National event, make sure you read the back of the ticket. You may be amazed at what you read. I was.

Basically it says that the NHRA owns any photos taken at one of their events. Even if you are the ones taking them. They are granting you the privelidge of taking photos, video, etc for your own private use. Technically we are not even allowed to post the photos on the web.

I appologize in advance to any lawyers who may frequent this board, but sometimes all of this BS seem like some lawyer is simply trying to justify why he has a job.

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy....

To put in terms an advocate for gun owners' rights can understand: Lawyers don't bleeed people dry, the people or organizations who hire them do. Don't blame the firm who handled the details for that policy, but the NHRA who see fit to bleed their fans dry of every last cent they can squeeze out of them as them emulate their mentor and big brother Nascar. Witness their emulation of the "Chase" playoff system.

As for the upcoming kits which are the subject of this thread. They kind of mystify me. Revell has been on a two year roll: the '55 Chevy hardtop, the '32 Sedan, the '49 Merc, the '70 Mach I Mustang, the '69 Nova, the '57 150, and the soon to be released '32 five window.

These funnies seem to smack of lunatic fringe appeal like all the cries of "Hey Revell when are we finally getting a '53 Mercury Parklane Estate Wagon" etc. One that a few folks who are intrested will pick up the moment it comes out and the rest will languish on the shelves. I don't think any of us out there mind the subject, it's just that we can take it or leave it. Especially at what seems to be Revell's new price of admission ~ $25. All of us would grab one as a raffle/door price $5-$10 Big Lot closeout etc. But at $25, I bet a lot of us are going to sit this one out.

Edited by Jason Rothgeb

I am VERY excited to buy these! I will be grabbing some as soon as they appear in the store and I will build them, not just throw them on a shelf.

No offense to some of the others who have posted here, but I am getting very tired of all the variations on the new Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers. How many variations do you need? Get out some styrene and make your own version. One or two is enough.

I am VERY excited to buy these! I will be grabbing some as soon as they appear in the store and I will build them, not just throw them on a shelf.

No offense to some of the others who have posted here, but I am getting very tired of all the variations on the new Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers. How many variations do you need? Get out some styrene and make your own version. One or two is enough.

Exactly. Its high time we get some "new" drag kits on the market. Dont get me wrong as Burkett has definately filled the void on our drag kit cravings for vintage reissues. Personally I will buy everyone of the new funny car kits I find on the shelf. Im as excited about these and can be.

and yet we are still without a ZR1, 2010 Camaro, and 2010 Mustang kits. ohh well

Yes..Revell did a great job on the '05-09 style Mustangs, but I want to see kits of the '10 GT and GT500. And the '10 Camaro is out now in 1:1, where are the models???

Anyway, good to see some new vintage drag kits...I'm sure these will sell well w/ the gray hairs. :)

Edited by Rob Hall

I think Ken is onto something. The two kits will share a lot of same tooling. It is an interesting mind exercise to think what could be added or changed to make a presentable offset chassis like the Hustler. I think it could be done with one small tree with a marginal loss of accuracy. This has been done on more than one occasion. The bodies are another story.....

I find the subject odd. The Charger seemed like the PL kit that didn't sell all that well. Besides the Hustler, there's no that many (maybe Custom Body Ent.) of the name Chargers that weren't in the PL offerings. I don't believe the chassis will be that much better than the PL's. What would be wonderful would be if they have the old Jo-han molds, but that's too much wishful thinking.

I really wonder if this is a trial balloon to create a buzz to measure interest. Am I interested, yes. I'll buy one of two of the Chi-towns and several of the Hawaiians (part sources). I'd be much more excited over an accurate USA-1 and Dick Harrell Camaro. Or they could do a Nova funny car (already have the body for that) with Jungle Jim lettering. These suggestions scare me as I'm a die hard Mopar fan.

Mike

Slight clarification ... the Revell Hawaiian kit was the later version with the '71-'74 Charger body style, not the '69 body shown in the pic. MPC was the only company that did kit(s) of '69 Charger-bodied F/Cs until the Polar Lights kits came out a few years back.

No need for clarification, I merely mentioned that both companies did hawaiians didnt "specify" year models...

Did I mention Im as giddy as a school girl about this leak :)

Pardon me gents, but Revell has had the longest tradition of drag racing kit making among the model makers. Theirs is a long history so this is not a shock at all. it's been a longer time coming than I would have liked but these are certainly welcomed.

Drag racing kits have always been brisk sellers since the old days so i fail to see why there would be questions as to why these are being produced. New toolings are welcome of new subjects from the current crop as well as nostalgic cars. Drag racing has a great history which remains quite strong even today.

Bring on the new kits!

Bob F

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy....

These funnies seem to smack of lunatic fringe appeal like all the cries of "Hey Revell when are we finally getting a '53 Mercury Parlane Estate Wagon" etc. One that a few folks who are intrested will pick up the moment it comes out and the rest will languish on the shelves. I don't think any of us out there mind the subject, it's just that we can take it or leave it. Especially at what seems to be Revell's new price of admission ~ $25. All of us would grab one as a raffle/door price $5-$10 Big Lot closeout etc. But at $25, I bet a lot of us are going to sit this one out.

Ahh Jason... I kinda figured that my lawyer comment would drag you out of the wood work. It's good to hear from you again. Hope the family is well.

I think you might be underestimating the support for new racing subjects. I know how the replica stock crowd feels about anything that defaces "Gods work" but I think there may be a few more of us sinners out here than you realize. As you know I love all form of motorsports, but while we have deluged over the past few years with a ton of NASCAR variants (although I would have liked to have seen a COT kit), there has been a relative derth of new Drag Kits. Model King has done a wonderful job in bringing back some of the old tooling, and the Poar Lights kits from a few years ago were OK, (although most needed work to make right) but there hasn't been a new tool drag kit from Revell in quite a while. (Yes, I do realize that the Willy's gassers are not that old) OK, let me rephrase my last statement. There hasn't been a new Fuel drag kit in quite q while. (Top fuel, F/C, Altered) It has been even longer since there was a new Pro-Stock kit available. And dont get me started on Pro-Mod. The current class of Pro-Mod features some beautiful machines, automotive masterpeices if you will, but we still only have re-issued 55 & 57 Chevy nitrous cars to re-do.

Oh...BTW...I hate the "Chase" format in any series!!! Motorsports is not a stick & ball sport and should not try to be one!!! At least the NHRA has not instituted that fugaze qualifying B/S. They qualify as it should be. GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!

Hope to see you this coming Friday.