Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Firebird WIP

Modlbldr

This is my Firebird that I started a couple of weeks ago. Then the parents showed up for a 5 day visit and I'm trying to get back to it.68FirebirdWIP001.jpg

68FirebirdWIP005.jpg

Paint is the new Testors Lacquer Rootbeer with Wet Look Clear. I shot it over the bare plastic. No primer. I hope I won't pay for it.68FirebirdWIP002.jpg

68FirebirdWIP003.jpg

Interior shots next.

Later-

The interior is Testors Light Ivory on the package shelf, dash and door panels and Light Earth on the seats.68FirebirdWIP008.jpg

68FirebirdWIP012.jpg

68FirebirdWIP011.jpg

68FirebirdWIP010.jpg

Plans are to do a relatively stock Firebird with white stripes and probably stock tires and wheels. I'm going to try to get to either the engine or the flocking tonight.

Stay tuned.

Later-

Not a personal attack on you my friend, I think you did a terrific job on the paint but I don't like the fact that the metal flakes in this paint are out of scale. I say this because I painted a Johan '71 Cuda w/ the Citrus Yellow Metallic and thought that the flakes looked out of scale. I did use the Nassau Blue Metallic from the same line of paints and it came out perfect.

Of course, IMHO, when you take the picture under direct sunlight, the flakes become more noticeable, try taking the same pictures under the same bright day but shoot them with the model in a shaded area, I assure you that you will like it more. :lol:

Of course, if this was the look you were going for then, my apologies, I know that there are 1/1 paintjobs out there with big metal flakes just like the ones the lowrider folks like to use! :(

Thanks Mustang.

Marcos- I know what you mean about the large flakes. It is a bit out of scale, but being as I was trying the new Testors Lacquers for the first time, it's fine with me. And, I'll have to live with it because I bought about 15 cans of different colors. I got a good deal on them.

I tried for the fourth time today to flock the interior and it turned out patchy. This is the first time I've used Elmers glue to do it. Usually I paint the area first and sift the flocking over the wet paint. The glue isn't working for me, so tomorrow I'll break out the paint to do it. Pictures tomorrow of it. (I promise)

Later-

• 2 weeks later...

OK.I'm working out of town in NV and I took these photos of the interior flocking before I left. I finally have a chance to post them while sitting in the hotel.

Flocking before dumping off the excess:68FirebirdWIP013.jpg

This is what I endeed up with after the 5th attempt:68FirebirdWIP015.jpg

68FirebirdWIP017.jpg

Not much, but it is progress. I'll be home late Sunday evening, so I should be able to get the bottoms of the door panels flocked and get some engine work done on Monday.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

I had plans of working all day today and tomorrow on my Firebird and, like normal, my plans got changed for me. However, I did manage to get some painting and assembly done on the engine and some paint on the exhaust pipes. I didn't get a chance tonight to take any photos, but I should be able to post some tomorrow night.

What I am looking for is some good reference photos of 68 Firebirds, if anyone knows of any.

I like how this kit is going together, so far. Tomorrow I plan to do the flocking on the bottom of the door panels and maybe finish the engine work. Stay tuned.

Later-

I don't know if you tried this, but eBay Motors is a great source to find pics of all types of cars. Generally the more expensive the car, the more (and better) photos they will have to show.

Check the link below for a whole page of '68 F-Birds on auction..............

http://snipurl.com/nuznu

You can always check completed auctions too for pics if those listed aren't to your liking.

Hope this helps! :lol:

Bill-

Thanks for the link. I'll surely check it out. I still didn't get the photos taken of yesterday's progress. My whole day, like yesterday, didn't go as planned. Plus, my wife came home a little early today.

Maybe tomorrow.

Later-

OK Guys-

I finally got some time to take, and post, some photos of my little progress. Here they are. I flocked the bottoms of the door panels:68FirebirdWIP025.jpg

68FirebirdWIP026.jpg

And I got a little engine work done. I seperated the oil filter and starter from the pan before painting:68FirebirdWIP034.jpg

68FirebirdWIP030.jpg

68FirebirdWIP028.jpg

68FirebirdWIP027.jpg

Does anyone know why the locating pin for the carb makes the carb sit at an angle to the front of the block? Is it this way on a 1:1 400? Seems strange to me.

I hope you like the progress. Any comments or criticizm is welcomed.

Later-

Does anyone know why the locating pin for the carb makes the carb sit at an angle to the front of the block? Is it this way on a 1:1 400? Seems strange to me.

Later-

Screw up. Just cut it off and turn it back straight with the intake like it's supposed to be. There is an after market racing intake that is made that way, but no factory intakes that I have ever seen turn them at an angle.

Well Guys-

I got some small progress done last night. I decaled and installed the hood tach and finished the plumbing and assembly of the engine. I also painted the underhood bracing, the radiator wall and fan shroud, and the grille insert. On the insert I foiled the Pontiac emblem before painting and now can scrape the paintoff to reveal the chromed emblem.

I also installed the clock decal on the center console.

BTW- On the instructions, I noticed a mistake. The instructions show that decal #4 is for the clock in the center of the console and that #7 is for the tach on the steering column. These should be switched.

Hopefully I'll get some time to do some more work tonight and get some more photos posted this week.

Later-

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys!

Juergen- The photos are very helpful. I'll be using them as reference shots. Especially the interior.

dwc- Thanks for the info. I figured that it must be a mistake. I can't recall ever seeing a carb sitting at an angle like that before. I'll have to pull mine off and reglue it on straight.

I haven't gotten anything done lately. I was out of town from Thursday evening till Sunday night for a convention. What a pick-me-up that was. Today has been chores around the house. Hopefully tomorrow I can spend some time at the bench. This thing has already drug on longer than expected. I got some MicroSet and MicroSol Thursday morning. I can start on decals soon.

Later-

Thanks for the help guys!

dwc- Thanks for the info. I figured that it must be a mistake. I can't recall ever seeing a carb sitting at an angle like that before. I'll have to pull mine off and reglue it on straight.

Later-

Welcome,anytime. I've caught the same mistake on some Mopar kits before. Not sure how they screw that stuff up. I've even caught them with the pins made to mount the carbs backwards. Only car I have ever seen a holley sitting backwards on is a 427 Cobra.

I finally got a chance to get some build time in and some photos taken. Here is where I am at so far.

I got the front grille assembled and detailed, except for the headlights, and it is just pressed into place for this photo:68FirebirdWIP049.jpg

68FirebirdWIP046.jpg

The engine is complete, with the exception of a coil. I may also run a wire for the fuel line from the filter to the carb.68FirebirdWIP042.jpg

I did straighten out the carb as suggested by DWC (thanks) an the radiator wall is just sitting in place in this photo. I'll be gluing it into the body before assembly instead of to the chassis.68FirebirdWIP045.jpg

More photos in next post.

Later-

Here is the near completed chassis and susension.68FirebirdWIP044.jpg

68FirebirdWIP043.jpg

I still need to paint the shocks and the springs. The rear assembly is just sitting there for a photo op.

I am using the tires and wheels from the Speedwagon kit since they give the model a nice rake and stance. I painted mine in Tamiya bottle "Metallic Grey". It isn't accurate, but close. And I like it.68FirebirdWIP036.jpg

68FirebirdWIP035.jpg

That's all for now. Any comments or criticisms welcomed.

Later-