Model Cars Magazine Forum

The velvet authority…

Bryce

…or so the advertising said at the time!

This one was inspired by a photo in a book. It’s the AMT kit built factory stock from the bastardised “RIDES†version. I spent a lot of time sweating the small stuff on this build to try and get “the look†I had in mind. The convertible interior tub has been modified into a correct hardtop version and the body has been “channelled†over the frame to get the right ride height. I also raided a ’66 kit for its separate exhaust chassis and merged it with the ’65 poseable front end.

Here’s some pics:

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3643.jpg

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3648.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg

And here’s a link to a WIP in case you would like a bit more detail:

http://amcc.forum-motion.com/the-workshop-...00-xl-t1250.htm

very, very nice! not only do you build awesome hot ros and customs, but musclecars too? :lol:

wait until Bob Black sees this one, he's going to flip!

Dave

I can only second what Dave said. All the skill and creativity we see in your classic period rods and customs has emerged in this superb replica build. My addiction to factory stock is thoroughly satisfied with this one! Thanx for sharin'....

it's amazing what you can do with a 40 plus year old, bastardized AMT kit isn't it? pretty darn nice and really shows some thought, insight and hard work. and i agree that "Rides" junk they stuck in the kit STINKS. might as well glue the wheels to the fenders as use that ######.

but again THIS is a beautiful build. time-warp car. love the long XL armrests, too.

Thanks guys – really appreciate all the nice comments.

I would have to agree that ’65 was definitely the best looking year for the Galaxie. When I saw the picture in the book I just knew I had to build a model of it. Took me a few years to track down a kit and it was a less than a perfect base to build on, but I’m pretty happy with the outcome.

Yes Dave – I build plenty of muscle cars too! They are the hot rods of my generation. Mopars are my favourite. Working on a ’68 Roadrunner at the moment.

Thanks for noticing the armrests Curt – this car must have the longest armrests ever made I reckon! I was tossing up painting the interior white, but decided on red purely because I liked the contrast of the red armrests against the brushed aluminium door inserts…

Lee – the tyres are plain old AMT Firestones. I added the narrow whitewall using a gel pen and circle template.