Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Art Deco Aero Coupe Updated Jan 3, 2010

Peter Lombardo

YEAH BOOOOOYYYYYY. Man I am so happy for ya....she looks great!!!!!!! Like I have stated before, I love this post. I would say that your first attempt at the vacuum forming was a success and I am sure the reason why it was such a success was because you had a lil help from your son, making sure daddy didnt mess up :o You think you could post a pic of your vacuum forming box....would love to see it. And if for some CRAZY reason you ever wanted to get rid of those bucs....let me know a $$$$. Lets hope for more no golf rainy days :lol:

Peter, that is simply amazing work! The design is great, and the vacuum forming work looks perfect!

Years ago, I vacuum formed a canopy for a scratch built 1/4 scale Rutan Quickie R/C plane. I used a wooden box and the home vacuum cleaner. After several dismal failures, I got a usable canopy, but looking through it was like looking through your car windshield in a rainstorm when the wipers don't work! Vacuum forming is not easy!

Sam

HOT D@MN!! This is amazing! I am sure you are smiling from ear to ear seeing how that body turned out... there is only one word that I can think of to describe this design/car... SEXY!!!

The art deco cars of the '20-30's (Delahaye, Cord, Cadillac, Rolls Royce) almost pale in comparison to this work of art... I just wish I had the money to make the 1:1 a reality!

AMAZING JOB... ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

To all of the guys that have responded to my posts, thank you very much. I really appreciate the positive comments on the design and the out come of my first vacuum forming experiment. Frankly, I was not sure what the results were going to be so to have this much success surpasses my own expectations. It is great to know that so many of you guys were watching and hoping that this would actually work. It really is exhilarating to know you guys want this to work too. Thanks again.

Last night I epoxied two bodies together, one inside the other to give the body some additional strength. I then was able to clean up the bottom and add some support plates to the front. 4025123717_30d23e3863.jpg I opened up the windshield and roughed out the door and hood opening. The doors will be gullwing, I am planing to have the wheel spats ( fender skirts ) removable held in place with some very small magnets. I roughed in the headlight placement, which also come from the Viper that is supplying the engine and chassis. I also began playing around with the design of the "Art Deco" chrome trim for the bottom of the car.

I threw in a picture of my "old" driver that I "flamed" yesterday which I did just for the fun of it. I know there are a lot of flames on it and it does look better in the light of day, but it is going to be different. 4025878060_9e89f3b048.jpg This club, along with my old set of irons and wedges is going down to Florida next month with me for a few days, and then it will take up residence in Southwest Florida so whenever I can get down there, I don't need to drag my clubs with me anymore. I thought some flames on the club would look pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I made some headway on the Art Deco Aero Coupe. Up front, I incorporated the Viper headlights and added road lights below them. I opened the hood and hinged it forward.

I will add mini struts later.

I opened the doors and hinged then in a gullwing style like the Mercedes sports coupe from the 50’s. They will also get mini struts.

4065200695_abc3baa43f.jpg

4065949534_5dbdd84c19.jpg

I opened up the rear windows in kind of a 1963 sting ray style. I always loved the split window design so I stole it! You should be able to where I screwed up the window openings. I made the original opening come too far forward at the upper front portion. It did not look right so I glued and puttied in fillers and then rounded all of the corners, which I think looks better now.4065947096_d007106b14.jpg

4065196391_fee2b5ccb0.jpg

I have opened up the wheel spat’s and have made some nice little art deco wing designs for each wheel spat. (Pictures not yet included.) I have run a molding strip down the hood from the radiator opening to the windshield. I hope I can come up with a sharp hood ornament. I want a “flying lady†looking thing…we’ll see. 4065195945_6b2ac75f9a.jpg

I also ran a molding down the sides, over the doors and it meets up at the duck tail. I have run another molding along the bottom, which will connect to the “art deco wing designs on the wheel well covers. All of the moldings will be covered in bare metal foil.

The wheel well covers will be removable held in place with a few of those mini magnets.

4070537490_3c0d5f35ec.jpg

I have added the tail light openings which are opened on the rear fender sides and mimic the Viper headlight openings. 4069777037_5f1c6562a9.jpg

The chassis is an extended Viper unit and naturally the engine is a Viper V-10 and the wheels will be huge honkin’ suckers with huge art deco style painted disc’s hiding under the spat’s covers. I am contemplating adding some more art deco chrome trim sweeping up the front of the rear fender right behind the door area. I just haven’t decided yet.

I am planning a two tone paint scheme in deep amethyst pearl (dark purple) and cream up top. Not too different than the paint combo I used on Cybele. My thinking on this car is that is a modern throw back to art deco style. This car has modern running gear but retro styling…not unlike the Chrysler Atlantic concept car from the mid 2000’s era. In today’s economic climate, models that we build may be the closest we will get to seeing factory concepts any more. I have begun work (wood buck shaping) on a two place sports car roadster, but I may put that on temporary hold as a more appealing design has popped into my head, so that one may get pushed up to the front of the line. If so, I will post some design sketches of it and than the start on the wood buck or bucks as this design may require multiple pieces. This is getting a little crazy.

I agree with Harry 100%!

When you can make your very own body from scratch, that is truly scratch-building masterpiece! Reminds me of those old classic cartoon cars, long, and sleek! Very awesome with the opening doors and all.

I'm amazed at how a sheet of plastic can turn into a masterpiece! Thumbs up!

This is awesome Peter and a real insperation, something I can aspire towards. Congratulation on the success. Man you work fast, I really dig all aspects of this WIP. Your future ideas sound very cool. Like Harry said, scratch building at it's finest.

Edited by Plastic Freak

WOW...THIS IS AMAZING......I LOVE THAT BODY DESING YOU DID!!!!!! and of course the great vacumforming job, just superb!!!

I wish you would offer that body for sale as a vacumformed option or maybe resin in the future, is an unique and spectacular body sculpt and desing, I would love to do one of this as a 1930's all out car...ala Delage streamlined specials or Duesenberg black phanthom car, only using 1930's technologie.

Your body desing(the car, mind you ;) ) is sooooo balance and elegant that the modern accents only make it look even better......just superb workmanship and scrachtbuilding, I can't wait to see this one finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred

Mr. Lombardo.....BRAVO, I was very excited when I signed on to the forum and saw that you posted progress on the subject. And once again, I am floored. Love the gullwing doors, love the 63 vette rear window but I really love the body side molding you added. I know you will be adding skirts but I must say, I like the no skirts look also. Sort of reminds me (with the no skirts) of the car Boyd did...I think it was a Dehay (sure I have spelled it wrong). The choice of two colors is a must and will you be using Viper interior? Anyways really enjoy this post, I really enjoy the scratch building techniques and execution, keep up the great work look forward to your next progress post. ;)

Guys, now I am speechless. :D :D I can't believe the wonderful responses to my post.....thank you , I really appreciate them. I have to admit, the thought of creating and being able to build my own design has me really energized.

Being so close to the Areo Coupe design, I see a number of things I would like to change...not big things, but subtle features. The next design, at least I think, will have a few more twists and turns to it. I will get on that right away. Again, thanks for the encouragement.