Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell is watching your dialogue on future versions of their '32 Ford kits

url="http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22961&st=0"]Ken Hart and many others talk about their ideas for future '32 Ford kit variations

Guys....just a headsup that I understand that one or more of the product develompent team from Revell are watching this thread of ideas....obviously, no promise that they will in fact do any more kit variations but it is interesting to know as they've shown a willingness to consider ideas from the building community in their future product plans.

Best regards....TIM

Marshall....like you I would be highly enthusiastic about a '32 pickup....my recommendation being the Roadster pickup (as the cab could be easily adapted to the '30 through '34 model years). As a matter of fact I think I put it at or neat the top of the reply I sent them a number of years ago when they first contacted me on new body styles for the '32 series (with the Tudor sedan eventually being their response).

TIM

I have to agree with Jim. Another '32 Ford? Really???

There are so many subjects that have never been kitted. Wouldn't the hobby be better off in the long run if we saw a kit of a car never before offered instead of yet another variation of one that has been done to death? I'm just sayin'...

It's just economics Harry. Revell knows any version of the '32 Ford they release is going to be a winner financially. It takes a lot less money to tool a modified reissue versus a completely new tooling of an entirely knew subject, the marketabilty of which may be unknown. They are just playing it safe, which may not be very exciting, but given the current economic condition is very smart.

David

It's just economics Harry. Revell knows any version of the '32 Ford they release is going to be a winner financially. It takes a lot less money to tool a modified reissue versus a completely new tooling of an entirely knew subject, the marketabilty of which may be unknown. They are just playing it safe, which may not be very exciting, but given the current economic condition is very smart.

David

Ya, right now they need to watch their pennies, there's no telling how long this current situation will last for sure. Yes, a business should take risks in order to break new ground and hopefully create new success, but only when they can afford to lose on that bet.

David

Marshall....like you I would be highly enthusiastic about a '32 pickup....my recommendation being the Roadster pickup (as the cab could be easily adapted to the '30 through '34 model years). As a matter of fact I think I put it at or neat the top of the reply I sent them a number of years ago when they first contacted me on new body styles for the '32 series (with the Tudor sedan eventually being their response).

TIM

I'd like to see a generic '32 Ford hot rod with all sorts of traditional rod options. Make it a blank canvas for us to have fun with yet keep it simple. I like the Olds engine option, I believe that the small block Fords and Chevies have run their course.

Make the kit simple enough for the kids to build as well. I almost hate to say it, but if they followed the old AMT Trophy Series 3 in 1 format they couldn't lose.

Bob

For me the critical part for any future '32 issue would be a stock-style frame with transverse leaf spring rear suspension. I'm assuming that the actual cost of plastic is negligible so that the most of the costs would be in the prototyping and tooling, thus not much different than smaller parts like an engine or new type wheels. This piece would drive large numbers of sales as a critical part for traditional rod and factory stock builders. Paired with drum barkesd a stock style firewall and interior for whatever body style was released and you have a classic parts box/kit bashing kit. The Special Edition Roadster upgrade is my pick for this approach but a true '32 roadster pickup with the details show in the pictures above would be fabulous, too. But the key issue here are the more stock, more traditional details, in the frame and firewall, since these can be used with any of the other kits.

Tim,

You might wish to check your references, as there are many differences between even the late, steel roofed Model A pickup cabs (both roadster and closed cab) of 1931 and 1932, completely different sheet metal.

Even a '32 Roadster pickup has very little, other than the firewall, similarity to the '32 closed cab. Spotted this Deuce Deluxe Roadster Pickup at this year's Kruse Auto Auction on Labor Day Saturday at Auburn IN:

FordModelBDeluxeRoadsterPickup-vi.jpg

Note the considerable tumblehome in the bodywork, which is vastly different from the nearly slab-sides of the '33--34 cabs. which both roadster and closed cabs used the same straight, almost flat panels between both (adapted from the '32 Closed Cab unit.

In this pic, note the form-fitting front of the pickup box, conforming to the tumblehome, and the curvature of the back panel of the cab. Additionally, while I was unable to get pics of the feature, the roadster pickup cab had the top edges of the sheet metal rolled over, in the same manner as a '32 Roadster.

1932FordModelBroadsterpickup-vi.jpg

Note also that this pickup is a Model B (4cyl) car, as were the majority of '32 Ford trucks of all sizes, due to the shortages of V8's for much of the model year, and at that, a '32 Roadster pickup is quite rare, only a few hundred were produced (only a little more than 250,000 '32 Fords were built, in what was not only the depth of the Great Depression, but also a truncated model year, given that Deuce production didn't get underway until March of that year, and terminated in late December.

Art

While I realize the '32 Ford is arguably the most popular kit offered in plastic, I am also of the mindset that a new tooling would be welcome at this point. With all the suggestions made on dozens of threads here, I'm sure there are at least a couple that would be viable options for Revell to consider offering in their lineup.

This isn't a slam against the '32 kits either. It's just that at this point the market is flooded with the various releases and there are still huge voids left in other areas of the automotive hobby that would surely turn a profit given the right choices. Another kit that falls into this category is the new Mustang kits. We've been flooded with the different variations of this car as well. While it does make financial sense to make the most out of a current mold, there also comes a point where the same kits just repackaged with different decals and wheels just doesn't cut it anymore. At that point, those once profitable kits become a liability and we're back to the same old song that the model companies aren't turning a prfit, hence no new releases until the "market picks up."

There are plenty of other rod subjects, muscle cars and so forth that could be modeled that we would just as readily accept. It's time to stop flooding the market with the same kit that is just repackeged with new decals, wheels and tires.

I realize that there are some of you that would like to see Revell do a stock '32 chassis version of their Deuce Ford series. My contacts there tell me there is no chance of that happening. The reasons are that they do not see any significant market for it. As was pointed out to me, if there was a market for a complete stock version, we would already see some of of the Aftermarket kitmakers doing the entire conversion. Yes, Norm does a very nice converted frame, but's that's a far cry from all the parts needed for a truly correct stock version.

Look at this another way. For nearly five decades now, and with a few notable exceptions (this kit series being one, Monogram's '37 Ford series being another), street rod modelers like myself have had to put up with so-called street rod versions of early Fords that are extreme compromises due to the need for restored stock parts in the same kit. It's about time that WE (the street rod builders out there) had some old Ford kits that are truly accurate street rod kits to ourselves.

As has been pointed out before, between the parts in the Revell Rat Rod '29 and '31 kits, the AMT '32 Vicky/Tudor/Phaeton kits, and the stock version of the AMT-Ertl '34 Ford Coupe kit, a really accurate stock '32 could be put together using either the Revell Tudor or Five Window sedan kit. This would be a great magazine article or a great web tutorial. Who's going to step up to the plate on this one?

TIM