Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell is watching your dialogue on future versions of their '32 Ford kits

Great idea in theory; in practice, not so much. Revell simply cannot release a kit that requires a builder to make major modifications to it in order to build it correctly. It's a recipe for returned kits, unhappy retailers and alienated consumers. Obviously, for the people who post here, removing a gas tank would be no big deal, but think about the "casual" modeler who's built maybe 1-2 kits his entire life, or the hobbyist who's been out of modeling for years and chooses that Revell '32 pickup kit as his re-entry point.

Like Dave said, though, I don't think the gas tank would necessarily be a deal-breaker for a pickup kit, since we're talking about a non-stock vehicle here.

Regarding the Rat Rod wheels/tires ... those obviously look great on any of the '32s, but the tires won't fit the standard wheels in the Deuce kits, and the Rat Rod wheels and/or the '32 axles require modification in order to work together properly. Therefore, Revell can't use the Rat Rod wheels and tires in the '32 kits without retooling either the wheels or the axles. Like I said, simply throwing the Rat Rod wheel/tire pack into the '32 kits along with a note reading, "Here, you make these work" simply isn't an option.

I do agree with you for the most part, but hey, isn't the "Here, you make these work" concept pretty much the standard M.O. with the vast majority of resin kits? On the other hand, I guess a 'casual' modeler isn't going to dive into a resin kit, so I suppose that makes the 'resin kit concept' theory of mine pretty much moot. :( Although I believe Revell lists this as a Skill Level 3 kit, which might rule out any casual modelers.

As far as the two-piece whitewalls, if I recall, the wheels supplied in any of the '32 kits will fit. I can't be 100% sure of this as I usually kitbash my builds beyond all recognition, but I seem to rembember using the inner/outer wheels from the '32 with the '29 tires, without significant modification to the wheels or tires. If nothing else, it probably wouldn't be a big deal to tool up some inner wheels that fit the whitewalls AND snap onto the '32 stubs.The way Revell is operating nowadays, that wouldn't really surprise me.

And I said it once already, but it does bear repeating- I'd be up for a Revell Deuce pickup, regardless of where the fuel tank is located! :) This ain't a replica-stocker after all, right?

Edited by Chuck Most

Regarding tires ... please don't misunderstand; I'd LOVE to see Revell either tool up some new period-looking whitewall bias-ply tires for its '32 kits, or find a way to adapt the Rat Rod tires to the '32s. Call me a pessimist, but I just don't think it's going to happen, for reasons I've already enumerated in this thread.

That's what I'm talkin' about! We 'serious' (?) modelers get some sweet wide whites for our '32, and the casual modelers don't have to worry about making it fit! I'm guessing I'm a tad bit more optimistic on seeing it happen, but if enough people want to see it happen, I'm sure Revell would be more than happy to see it through. Provided, of course, it's profitable for them! (And that last sentence is not a slam- I simply understand the fact that it makes no sense for a company to invest in a product that no one, or very few people, will purchase. Revell is in it to make money- just like every other manufacturing company out there!)

Edited by Chuck Most

• 2 weeks later...

I have to wonder if all these its too hard to remove the fuel tank people would even know its in the wrong place? Besides its not the first time a manufacturer made an incorrect kit.

I'd accept a new truck kit even if it is a Ford* with a minor error.

* nothing against Ford, I'd just prefer to see anything but a pre-1950 Ford truck since we have nothing but Fords except for the '41 Chevy.