Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is Revell watching this thread, too???

I don't want to upset you '32 Ford guys, so I thought I'd post this as a stand-alone topic.

No offense to any of you who like '32 Fords, but let's face it guys... there are enough '32 Ford kits already out there to keep all of you Deuce-lovin' model maniacs building '32 Fords for the rest of your lives! I mean, really... we're talking about yet another reissue of a car that's already been kitted in more different variations than maybe any other kit in the history of the hobby! How many versions of the same basic car do we need? :blink:

We've heard from all the '32 Ford guys... how about a little heads-up to Revell (or any other manufacturer) as to what some of us who don't happen to worship at the altar of the Deuce might like to see?

Where are the mid-thirties Chevies and Plymouths? A Tucker? A mid-50s Buick or Pontiac? A late model pickup? A late model VW? A first gen. Barracuda? These are just a few random ideas off the top of my head, maybe some of these have been done, but you all see what I mean.

I don't intend this to become another "why don't they make" thread, we've seen those too often before... I'm not necessarily asking for specifics here. My point is this: '32 Fords are great, I have nothing against them or the guys who like to build them... but wouldn't the hobby be better off if instead of spending money on endless variations of the same car over and over and over, some money might be spent on filling in some longstanding holes in the car-modeling world? I realize that the resin guys cover some of the gaps, but it sure would be nice to see a NEW kit of a never-before offered subject instead of yet another rehash of a '32 Ford. Just my opinion... all others welcome ;)

I gotta side with ya Harry, Just HOW MANY of ANY version of the 32 do we need" I mean I do love 32's as to me, they are the quintessential hot rod, BUT they aren't the ONLY hot rods! Howz about a nice 34 Chevy? Or maybe a ________(add your own). If they had put as much research into say, the 70 bochedup Cuda,they'da sold aTON of them! Who picks what'll be made? Certainly NOT us! I'd STILL like to see a 74/76 Pontiac Grand Am, but I'm probly one inna million who wants one. I was glad ta see the Black Widow, but now my MPC/AMT conversion 'll probly stay in the box! There's ALOT of cars yet to pop. Like you said Harry, the resin casters do fill SOME gaps,but to spend research dollars on ANOTHER version of the 32 is a waste to me. Of course, if they do a 32 B-100 hardtop/convertable,or a Victoria I'd probably get a couple, but other than those, WHY do we need ANOTHER 32 Ford? ;)

but all some seem to do is bitch and complain that we dont have what WE want.

Dave

Seems to me that if the '32 Ford bunch can tell Revell what they want, it would be just as appropriate for the rest of us to maybe state our opinion too. And like I said, I'm not intending this to be another "why don't they make" rant, I was just stating an opinion regarding the choice of kits issued (or not issued) by Revell and the others.

I guess if you talk about what new stuff you want from Revell as far as another '32 Ford, that's perfectly fine... you're not complaining or whining, you're just letting Revell know what you want. But if anyone tells Revell what they want other than another '32 Ford they're guilty of being a whiny malcontent... is that it?

Interesting point of view you have there.

:blink:;) I find it interesting that "THEY" never seem to appear in any form except the good ole "press release"....when was the last time any of us got a form to fill out our wants and needs in styrene? I am sure that these companies use market research to determine what to mold....Harry ask Gregg or that other guy....jimbo haught...when as EDITORS were they asked what we need????

just curious and venting a bit....but think a bit is it the LHS owners that are the "research"???? :blink::blink:

yes I've read Art and Tims response to this in the other thread ..why no mfgr presence in our forums..??

Edited by MikeMc

Harry, it comes back to that Revell does apparently know what modelers do want and is making an effort to bring that to the market IF it is truly marketable and saleable. Round2 seems to be paying a whole lot of attention as to what folks want as well and doing their best with the limited resource they have to bring those they can back out.

not everyone is enthusiastic about the '32 kits and not everyone is enthusiastic about the "Donk" kits either, but those who love them, welcome those kits with open arms.

Dave

Revell knows what you want. Yeah, you're a happy camper. The industry has obviously catered to your specific interests very well... they've given you a bazillion different versions of the same car so you can build '32 Fords from here to doomsday. And that's great... enjoy them, build them to your heart's content. I'd say that Revell and the others have accommodated your interests pretty darn well.

But step back and look around beyond yourself! There are many people who like to build kits other than '32 Fords, if you can believe it! And their opinions as to what they would like to see are just as valid as your opinion, no? Why is it that talking about what new version of a '32 Ford you want acceptable, but talking about what new kit you want other than another '32 Ford is nothing but bitching and moaning? Explain that to me.

Let's not label everyone who would like to see a new kit of a never-before done subject a complainer or a whiner.

Harry, I think you've hit a very valid point here.

While some things are very, very popular, it can start to detract from the rest of the hobby by over-developing a few kits at the expense of variety that all of us could benefit from.

Sure, there are plenty of people who will happily buy '32 Fords, Tri-Five Chevies and so forth. I will, too. I love '55-57 Chevrolets, and will gladly buy one that I can build stock. The same applies to a '32 Ford. I won't buy the Revell kits because I cannot build them stock. If they offer stock parts, I'll consider building them. The exception, as mentioned in the other thread, is if they were to start offering engines I could use in resin kits, for example an Olds 303/324/371 with different carburation options, and hopefully choice of transmission as well.

However, like the planet's ecosystem, maintaining a diversity in the marketplace is healthy. Think of times when new species of plants or animals have been introduced and overran, and in some cases, made extinct, the native species; it's very rare that's beneficial. In the case of the marketplace, it never is.

I'd love to see some more mid-fifties cars besides Chevies and the occasional Ford. I'd love to see a Dodge, De Soto or a Studebaker Hawk. A Buick/Olds/Pontiac would be nice, too.

I'd like to see a Step-Down Hudson, too. I can say without reservation that almost everyone in the Hudson-Essex-Terreplane Club, which I belong to, would buy at least one of those kits, even if never built, just to display with their cars at shows and meets. Whoever steps up and does this car and does it right, would have at least 2-3000 sold right there. Club membership is running about 3500 last numbers I saw. And I can honestly say any member of the club would be delighted to let you use their car for measurements and references.

I'd like to see that 1981-88 Cutlass Supreme/C.S. Classic issued, too! We had two of those cars, and I'd love to build replicas of them. I hope they supply an option for the quad lamps and the different grilles so I can (ours were both 1986s.) If Revell is really concerned about market reception, the 3-in-1 maybe the best option, and then maximize the tooling usage with things like options for a Cutlass Salon or Calais, Brougham interiors, 4-4-2 and the Hurt/Olds. Would this be of the same vain as tooling ten different '32 bodies? I suppose, but it adds the variety we need, and as seen here, this is a kit almost everyone would buy if they do it properly.

One thing I will touch on here a little is basing stuff off the diecasts. I don't have a problem with it myself, as long as the end product is of high-enough quality. From what I understand, Revell based the newer-issue 1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe off of a diecast, and it came out very nicely. The '58 Chevy is a nice kit too, from what I've been told, just needs a little trimming on the trunk inserts.

What I object to is basing something off a diecast and making the details, or some of the components toy-like, and then charging very high prices for the kit. That's dishonest and unethical, regardless of who does it.

I think a discussion thread like this is a good one, and is about time it came about.

Charlie Larkin

I would LOVE to have one of these:

85 Caprice Classic STW (always wanted)

97 Lada 1700 Sedan or STW (my old car :lol:

70`s Lada 1300 Sedan or STW (just love them!)

66 Volvo Amazon (always wanted)

80`s Chevy van in NEW Tooling (just love them!)

85 Skoda 120 GLS (my moms second car :D

70`s Fiat 127 (my moms first car :lol:

70`s Dodge Aspen (just love them!)

81 Saab 99GL (my first car ;)

And many more Chevys, Dodges, Fords, Plymouths, Pontiacs etc etc!!!

There is so many BMW, Ferrari, Nissan, Ford`32 kits for sale all around hobbystores, but never found models what i REALLY wanted!!!! :lol:

in general here i think everyone needs to stop and take a look around at the model car and truck hobby and ask themself "can it get any better than this?" seriously.

we have it better than ever when it comes to what we have available to us, in plastic, in aftermarket support and supplies, in paint technology, in every aspect of the hobby!

heres a few i'd love to have, even if i just gawked at them forever..

1982 dodge d100 long bed pickup(my dads truck, ive always wanted to slam it to the ground :P)

1970's dodge panel van(my papa's old van i spent most of my childhood in that van)

jeep waganer ;)

a lhd skyline.

75' datsun 510 station wagon

more old school caddilacs,lincolns, and cars like that.

I'd really like to see a 1:4 scale 84' corvette though :D

I'd really really like ot see a truck like the one in my avater, a nice cheyenne long bed, my papa used to have on of those to.

Edited by ThatOneEmoKid

I may be in the minority here but heres what I would love to see and some would be minimal effort

Ivo's twin engine dragster

John Peters "Freight Train" AA/GD

Stone wood's and cook Dark horse Mustang gasser

Big john Mazmanian's opel Kadett

I would love to see revell do a series like Polar lights did with the funny car kits from a few years ago and go in with Slixx and offer some one off exclusives...

I guy can dream right...

Let's see

3rd Generation Camaro; not as a prostreet car

'86-'87 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2

'83-'84 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds with Hurst Lighting Rod shifter

'85-'87 Oldsmobile 442

Late model DeSoto with a Firedome

'69 Plymouth Barracuda; in coupe, fast back and convertible

'70 Mercury Cyclone

'70 Mercury Cougar; Eliminator or XR-7

Edited by El Destructo Inc

Guys....there are two fundamental different sets of circumstances here. Doing a kit variation (the subject of Ken's original thread on the '32 Fords) IS NOT the same as doing an all new tool. Or stated another way, you are not missing out on all new tools of your favorite subject because Revell tooled up a five window coupe with a new Hemi engine, all new interior, additional exterior options, and a new decal sheet. Let me explain....

First is the creation of continued variations of kits like the '32 Ford and the Shelby, Bullit, and GT500 versions of the '06 Mustang GT kit. These variations are of relatively low incremental cost to a company like Revell Monogram. Because they sell well and because 80% of the "tool" has already been paid off via sales of previous versions, they can put together the business case to do addtional, and relatively specialized, variations. It makes us modelers happy, they sell relatively well, and most importantly, it helps them remain a viable business enterprise that can someday invest in all new tools.

Second, and a completely different set of circumstances, is the creation of all-new or mostly new tools, which is what most of the suggestions in this thread are. These require an exponentially larger investment of engineering time and tool cutting for an entirely new kit. The subject must be of broad enough appeal to promise much higher sales that a variation of an existing kit, as the much larger investment must be paid off with much greater sales and income.

So don't suggest that it's an equal choice for Revell to do another '32 body vs. an all-new kit of something else. They are completely different sets of business considerations. Or that your favorite idea somehow will never see the light of day because Revell does variations of other kits. It just doesn't work that way.

I personally hope that we continue to see variants of existing kits AND all-new tools. Just be cognizant that with today's economy and the very specialized (read, much lower sales volume) of our hobby these days, all new tools must comprise some pretty popular subjects to be a business success.

And as much as I'd love to see that Lusso, and, by the way, many of the other suggestions in this thread, most of these ideas just do not have the broad appeal required for commercial success. That's why we have the resin aftermarket and that's why we kitbash. So grab your X-Acto, go pound some plastic, and MAKE your kit idea a reality on your own desktop. Besides, as some of us know all to well, the one way to nearly guarantee a future kit of your favorite subject is to finish your own scratchuilt or kitbashed version first!

TIM

Interesting thread. Try this: pick one. Just one car you would actually buy more than one of, to have Revell make a kit of. No lists just one, the one and only that you would buy at $25.00 a kit. Now if everyone posted their one and only, how many of us would have the same one? Of that list how many of us would actually buy them in a quantity that Revell can make money off of? If you think of it that way, you see Revell's problem, they need to produce a kit they can make money off of. A '32, a tri five Chevy, Mustang, Camaro, Charger, etc, are safe bets. So are reissues. In the old days there was AMT, Revell, Monogram, MPC, and Lindberg. Who's left? I don't think they will be taking too many risks in tooling investment. BTW, mine would be the Roush GTO/Trans Am Cougars from the late '80's early '90's. But that ain't gonna happen!