Model Cars Magazine Forum

Astrovette Corvette model.

Can anyone tell me who made this Corvette model? I got it off Evilbay a little while ago, and plan to restore it, but I'd like to know who made it, so I can get a donor kit to use for parts.

Vette.jpg

Vette1.jpg

Vette2.jpg

Possibly an MPC/AMT by the looks of the oil pan. Anybody know?

Edited by Custom Hearse

Wooohaaa!!! That's the old MPC Astro Vette, released only once. Those kits were made with radioactive plastic so for your safety, since I'm licensed to dispose of that properly, send it to me ASAP. I'll even pay for the shipping :P

Seriously, That's the Astro Vette show car.

Now, before you accuse me of pasting this from the certain Corvette model web site, I wrote it :)

In 1968, GM unveiled the AstroVette show car. According to an official press release, "This clean-contoured, experimental Corvette is a study vehicle, which will provide useful information in yet another area of automotive design investigation". The car was actually based on a blue production '68 convertible. It was built in the spring of 1968. The shape and the aluminum wheel covers suggested a land speed record Bonneville salt flat racer. The paint was pearlescent white and the blue interior was dyed black. Other than a non stock steering wheel, the interior is pretty much production stock. The side flaps in the front fenders are non functional. They are only scribed in the body. The original 400hp L-68 427 engine mated to an automatic Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission was not modified, except for some chrome items. Tall narrow Firestone tires added to the Salt flat racer look.

The car was not very popular at first and it earned the name "Moby Dick". Soon after its unveiling, it was relegated to secondary show car circuits and eventually put in storage. At some point in time, the car was repainted orange, and in 1992 the car was restored to original show car specs.

Apparently the model was not as popular either so it was never reissued. I tried to investigate if the tooling still existed but could never get an accurate answer. Jimmy Flintstone reproduced the body in resin. I built it a few years ago using the '68 Revell convertible as a donor car.

None of the Mako Shark would make very good donors. The best donor is a regular '68 convertible. I used the automatic transmission form a early 80's MPC Corvette.

I mastered the wheelcovers and Arrowhead Aluminum reproduce them. Last time I check they still had them in their catalog.

Here is a picture of mine and a link: These pics are old. I need to update with better pictures.

MVC-314F.JPG

link to AstroVette model

Thanks,

Wooohaaa!!! That's the old MPC Astro Vette, released only once. Those kits were made with radioactive plastic so for your safety, since I'm licensed to dispose of that properly, send it to me ASAP. I'll even pay for the shipping :P

Seriously, That's the Astro Vette show car.

LOL!!!!

Now, before you accuse me of pasting this from the certain Corvette model web site, I wrote it :)

In 1968, GM unveiled the AstroVette show car. According to an official press release, "This clean-contoured, experimental Corvette is a study vehicle, which will provide useful information in yet another area of automotive design investigation". The car was actually based on a blue production '68 convertible. It was built in the spring of 1968. The shape and the aluminum wheel covers suggested a land speed record Bonneville salt flat racer. The paint was pearlescent white and the blue interior was dyed black. Other than a non stock steering wheel, the interior is pretty much production stock. The side flaps in the front fenders are non functional. They are only scribed in the body. The original 400hp L-68 427 engine mated to an automatic Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission was not modified, except for some chrome items. Tall narrow Firestone tires added to the Salt flat racer look.

The car was not very popular at first and it earned the name "Moby Dick". Soon after its unveiling, it was relegated to secondary show car circuits and eventually put in storage. At some point in time, the car was repainted orange, and in 1992 the car was restored to original show car specs.

Apparently the model was not as popular either so it was never reissued. I tried to investigate if the tooling still existed but could never get an accurate answer. Jimmy Flintstone reproduced the body in resin. I built it a few years ago using the '68 Revell convertible as a donor car.

None of the Mako Shark would make very good donors. The best donor is a regular '68 convertible. I used the automatic transmission form a early 80's MPC Corvette.

I mastered the wheelcovers and Arrowhead Aluminum reproduce them. Last time I check they still had them in their catalog.

Here is a picture of mine and a link: These pics are old. I need to update with better pictures.

MVC-314F.JPG

link to AstroVette model

Thanks,

Thanks for the history and the laugh! I'll either give the original parts a bath, or look for the '68 you talked about. I paid $22.50 for it, so I'm guessing I got a good deal on it. Thanks for the help Ismael!

Edited by Custom Hearse

Nice find! That chassis definitely screams MPC. They used the same one under all their C3 Corvettes. It has separate chrome A-arms with a spring (working front suspension), poseable front wheels, and rotating half shafts for the rear wheel. Any MPC-based 1968-1982 Corvette kit should yield the replacement chassis/engine parts you need, and perhaps some of the interior parts. These kits were basically annuals, and the body was the main thing updated.

Nice find! That chassis definitely screams MPC. They used the same one under all their C3 Corvettes. It has separate chrome A-arms with a spring (working front suspension), poseable front wheels, and rotating half shafts for the rear wheel. Any MPC-based 1968-1982 Corvette kit should yield the replacement chassis/engine parts you need, and perhaps some of the interior parts. These kits were basically annuals, and the body was the main thing updated.

Thanks Jim! That'll give me more leeway for finding parts. Appreciate the info!

I remember when Ismael first showed the completed model. He did a great job on an old, rare kit!

Here is the box art...

389-vi.jpg

Thanks for the picture of the box art Jon! Do you have any of the side panels? Thanks again!

Got the model in today! Checked it out and found some good news and some bad news... The good news is that whoever built it, didn't bother to scrape the plating or the paint when gluing the body parts together, and some parts of the interior. The bad news is the fame and interior tub are a total loss. The hood, front, and rear panels, and glass was glued to the body, but when I tugged slightly on the parts, they just popped right off with no damage with the exception of the glass. A very small chunk of it broke off, but I have an idea on how I might be able to fix it. here's the pics of it...

IMG_2937.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

When I get started on it I'll post it regeneration under the title "Saving history".

WOW! Scale dust bunnies!

Looks like a job - dun dun dun - for SUPER CLEAN!

I'd even put the glass in there. Best to get any grime off there before ya start polishing it.

I thought that was Captain Chaos, the Super Cleaner... :D

Before I wrote them off, I'd soak them in oven cleaner. This is eat the paint and may break the glue free. It will also destroy the chrome, but it may salvage these pieces. If not, the interior looks really close to standard MPC fair.

Mike

Thanks! I do have a new MPC kit to replace the kit parts though...

Marshall,

I took these pictures back in 1995 when the car was at the Indy 500. The blue interior was changed to black very early on, probably even before hitting the show circuit. I've only seen one GM picture with the blue interior. The interior is factory stock except for the steering wheel. Keep in mind the 1968 interior is unique. The ignition switch is the dash, not in the steering column like '69 and later. The car is also automatic.

It was restored in 1992.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. These are scans from small faded prints. I'm trying to locate the original negatives.

astro2b-vi.jpg

astro3b-vi.jpg

astro1b-vi.jpg

astro4b-vi.jpg

Thanks,

Marshall,

I took these pictures back in 1995 when the car was at the Indy 500. The blue interior was changed to black very early on, probably even before hitting the show circuit. I've only seen one GM picture with the blue interior. The interior is factory stock except for the steering wheel. Keep in mind the 1968 interior is unique. The ignition switch is the dash, not in the steering column like '69 and later. The car is also automatic.

It was restored in 1992.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. These are scans from small faded prints. I'm trying to locate the original negatives.

astro2b-vi.jpg

astro3b-vi.jpg

astro1b-vi.jpg

astro4b-vi.jpg

Thanks,

No, THANK YOU!!! The pictures are great, and those and the information you've given me will help me tremendously with the restoration. If you don't mind, may I PM you if I have a question? Your help in this endeavor is really appreciated!!!

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Hey guy's. Isn't there are more modern aerovette model kit out there? I think it's also MPC. It's pretty futuristic looking, hard-top, and common to find these day's. One of my local hobby shops has it and I've been tempted by it. Not much of a Corvette fan, but I do like futuristic concept cars.

If I recall the picture on the box shows a silver colored future-Vette.

That model look's like it would be a pain to restore, specially the interior. I'll be keeping my eye out on this one. B)

Edited by FujimiLover

Hey guy's. Isn't there are more modern aerovette model kit out there? I think it's also MPC. It's pretty futuristic looking, hard-top, and common to find these day's. One of my local hobby shops has it and I've been tempted by it. Not much of a Corvette fan, but I do like futuristic concept cars.

If I recall the picture on the box shows a silver colored future-Vette.

That model look's like it would be a pain to restore, specially the interior. I'll be keeping my eye out on this one. B)

You are referring to the AEROVette. This is the ASTROVette. They are 2 different cars, about 5 years apart. The AeroVette is Revell. The Astro is MPC and has never been reissued.

Thanks,

*EDIT* I mean the real cars were about 5 years apart, but the models were not. The MPC model is from around 1970 and the Revell AeroVette is from the late 90's

Edited by ismaelg

If you decide to use the '68 Vette as a donor, as Ismael suggests, you can use the steering wheel from the recently reissued AMT '78 Trans Am. It's similar, although not 100% accurate, but looks better than the one you have now. Another option is to use one of the photoetch ones from Replicas and Miniatures. I hope you decide to restore it and not customze it, since it is a pretty rare model.

Fernando

Thanks Fernando! I've got 3 of the '78 T/A kits in my stash, 2 of the original issues also. I'm gonna fix the center of the steering wheel by adding a piece of plastic rod to it. I might have a Corvette decal that I can use for the center of it.

No need to worry bud, I've decided to restore it to stock.

Thanks for the help!

F024-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This was at Meadowbrook Hall for the 50th Corvette anniversary in 2003. The car is a very bright pearl white and under direct sunlight was awesome. However, this was with a lesser camera. :lol: Check Google and see if there are any better photos from the show.

At NNL East a few years ago, I picked up a set of machined aluminum wheels for the Astrovette. They are much better than the plastic ones and cost a $20, but worth every penny. I'm still waiting to find a body, although I heard there is a resin one available.