Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrambo - Feb 5th

Drago

Forgive me the purists, but I liked this car a lot. For me, that is the hot rod essence. Take one part here, put another over there and... Voilá! You got a custom ride!

Ferrambo
1960 Rambler Wagon, chassi made by Art Morrison, Ferrari's 3.6 V8 engine, front and rear suspension. All parts from a crashed 360 Modena.
By Divers Street Rods.
2008 Ridler Award (Autorama) winner.
Purists or not, the fact is: this ride represents an outstanding building!

00-vi.jpg
01-vi.jpg
02a-vi.jpg

And there it is!!
Base kit: '53 Ford Wagon from R&R resin
03-vi.jpg

At first, I did not had in mind to make the model 100% equal to the original Ferrambo. Insomuch, I gave the fenders a square look and was intended to use this wheels set.
17-vi.jpg

But, as we used to say: "Once in hell, give daemon a hug"! So, I asked myself: why not???
So, I decided to build "THE" Ferrambo. I'll try to do my best to make it happens.

Side panel that was sanded away!
04-vi.jpg
05-vi.jpg

The body without originals pillars / new ones in place (correct angle)
06-vi.jpg

Edited by Drago

The original rear with rounded tail lights / new rear panel made with heated styrene / new egg-shaped tail lights made with Tamiya´s putty and some Dremel working on it.

07-vi.jpg

08-vi.jpg

09-vi.jpg

10-vi.jpg

The front panel has received a 2mm styrene piece. The original 53 Ford hood is too peaked and was smoothed. Also, another piece of styrene was glued to make the rounded edge fabrication possible.

11-vi.jpg

13-vi.jpg

14-vi.jpg

Still there is a lot of body work to do.

So far, the body is waiting for the new fender lines.

16-vi.jpg

Edited by Drago

I love it! I love it when you guys look outside of the box. This is one of the great things about modeling....you can "cut and paste" all day long and never worry. The worst case is a few "bad" pieces of plastic....no biggy. I like what you started with and the direction this is headed. Nice job so far. Have fun with it.

Drago, I saw this rascal last year at the Detroit Auto-Rama, it IS a BEAUTIFUL work of art! Yours looks like It'll be on the money. But I'm not sure if the bodies are the same size. The Rambler body LOOKS to be a tad smaller, but I guess you's have to have them side by side to compare them properly. Yours looks like it'll be right on! Oh, an WHO is that CUTE little boy in your avitar? Sure is a Good Lookin lil guy!!! :lol::D

Hi bros!

First of all, I would like to thank you guys (all of you) for the positive feedback. I really wasn't expecting for so many compliments and incentives. Thanks, thanks a lot!!!

BigGary, what about F53 by Pininfordina??? :D

George53, I don't know if this body has the same measures, but I guess it is pretty much the same line, so, I hope after all done, this car could be a nice replica. Thanks for the comments. I follow your buildings and your are a great modeler! By the way, YES, he is my baby... my King. Only 10 months old.. but don't worry.. he is not drinking for real! rs

In this phase, the progress is slower if compared to the other steps (painting, detailing, etc) just because cut and weld new parts need to be 100% well scheduled and executed.

I'm sorry for such few photos in this updating, but I wouldn't like to leave this thread without updates for a long time after so much prestige.

So, let's go!

The new fender shapes was done!

18-vi.jpg

The "A" pillars must be larger. It still need do cut and give the correct form.

Also, the new spot line will be make and the top of the rear door as well.

19-vi.jpg

And to make the rear door smouth rounded edge, I used two pieces with different sizes so I can make de fade effect in the door.

20-vi.jpg

21-vi.jpg

Hum... new pieces to make new body shapes...

22-vi.jpg

to be continued!

Edited by Drago

• 2 weeks later...

A little progress...

I sanded the external rim, stripped the chrome plating and eliminated the holes and screws. In the next steps I will make the knock-off
24-vi.jpg

Construction of the spotlight with aluminum pipe which will receive a better finishing later…
26-vi.jpg

Now, the front work. After find the center, I defined the limits of the grille. I made this work using a tape as guide before definitively demarcating. This make possible to restart the lines if anything goes wrong at the first time. Then, just draw a line with a pencil or pen.
26-vi.jpg
27-vi.jpg
28-vi.jpg
29-vi.jpg

The car had its front inspired by the Ferrari 250 GTE
And after so much putty and sanding work, it is time to get a first primer coat to see how bad the building is doing. Still have so much work to do...
61Ferrari250GT-vi.jpg
31-vi.jpg
Thanks!

Edited by Drago

• 2 years later...

After so much time... I decided to work a little more on this car...

Here, preparing the holes that will receive machined rims in the future.

34-vi.jpg

35-vi.jpg

36-vi.jpg

As I´am working in the art of many photo etched for my other projects, I take oportunity of it and draw PE for this project as well.

PE_Ferrambo-vi.gif

Edited by Drago