Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ancient History

When I first started building model cars in the early and mid 70's several of the kits I bought and built had engines that carried a higher level of detail than any other kit I've seen. The level of detail on these engines extended to the representation of internal features. There were piston tops cast on the cylinder banks, the heads had the valve train cast on them and the crankshaft was featured prominently on the bottom of the block. These kits would be great for doing a "workshop" build in which the engine is in some state of dissambly. These were most likely 1/24 scale, though they may have been 1/25.

A few years ago, I asked the "model guy" at my LHS if he remembered these kits and if they're still made and by whom. I think he had already decided on his answer by the time I started by saying "Back in the early 70's..."

He essentially told me that that was "ancient history" and offered no more help or assistance than that. People here seem to be much more helpful and knowledgeable than "Mr. Hobbyshop" could ever be, so I thought I'd post this question here.

Any way, I'd at least like to know if those kits were as detailed as I remember them, who made them and if they're still available.

Thanks for any help you guys might offer.

David

Dave, sounds like yer talkin about the old Revell kits of the 55'56'57 Chevys. The had all the things your describing, the Roth kits were like that too, along with the Orange Crate 32 sedan, the 56 Ford F-100, an a few others. Revell's engines of that time were MUITI-multi peice engines that had alot of detail in them. AMT,an MPC'S engine's didn't have those added internal details in them until lately, I THINK they mighta started with the 66 Nova release. Before that,only the old(now re-issued)parts pac engines featured those details. Hope this helps. You LHS owner sounds like a younger guy. :lol::D

Definitely sounds like many Revell kits of that time and even somewhat earlier. The Mickey Thompson Challenger kit features four Pontiacs with the internal details and, as George 53 said, the Roth kits and others had that also.

I have a Challenger kit stashed away and I tell myself that one of these days I'll build it with one engine torn down. Don't hold your breath! :)

Thanks for all the input, guys.

Are any of these currently in (re)production right now? If not, what would be the best bet for an ebay search.

Make model or year wouldn.t matter so much, as long as it's something from the 50's.

Thanks again,

David

Thanks for all the input, guys.

Are any of these currently in (re)production right now? If not, what would be the best bet for an ebay search.

Make model or year wouldn.t matter so much, as long as it's something from the 50's.

Thanks again,

David

The Competition Pack is a current kit. The others, I can't say what the latest reissue might be.

Don't forget AMT's Don Garlits' Wynns Jammer. The Chrysler engine had a separate crank, and pulleys, rubber drive belt, and rotors inside the blower case! It looks like the crank could make the rotors turn, but I'm not completely sure. Is this engine part of that engine parts pack?

There was a remotely available 1/24-1/25 manufacturer which made incredibly detailed kits and parts. The manufacturer was named Eldon, and they produced a series of street rod kits, and to my knowledge a really overdetailed series of spare motors. a la AMT and Revell.

The Eldon offering among others is the 427 Ford side oiler with a 3 carb set up, which went down to the block heads, cams, and cranks. It was all chrome, and sort of meets the description on this post.

I still have 2 left, one still in the shrink pack with instructions on the back. These kits also came in other types and I got them from a hobby shop that specialized in carrying model car kits and supplies only. The owner I think was using his shop to stock his personal builds. Talk about heaven it was only a mile from my house at my building peak, and hosted about 5 contests per year. He also displayed my cars, offered me some free kits and parts as my cars tended to generate interest, so he said. One of the cars he gave me which got lost over the years was a T "Milk Wagon' with the 427 motor and it was a total hard build but an incredible finish.

These models were so dubious that I never saw an Eldon model anywhere else, kit or finished.

I am out of attachment space. If someone will email me, I will reply with a photo of the kit attached and you can post it.

Talk about unexpected finds.......when looking for some kits, I found a box with my old stash of Revell spare parts, including several Spare Parts motors, some AMT Parts Paks, incluidng motors and grilles, and I am in pig heaven.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman