Model Cars Magazine Forum

missing versions in kits

On 1/10/2018 at 1:49 PM, Mark said:

The Studebaker body tool was likely new, but was based on a wooden master done at Revell for a stock '53 Stude kit.  Revell stopped work on theirs upon seeing AMT's kit at a trade show.  When Revell dropped their Studebaker kit, the masters for some of the parts were likely done but had probably not yet progressed to the toolmaking stage.  Had Revell done a stock kit, might it have had opening doors and trunk like other car kits they were making in the '63-'66 period?

The Miss Deal chassis is NOT new; it is an extensive rework of the Parts Pack custom chassis (actually a C1 Corvette unit).  A few new parts were tooled: roll cage, seat, rear suspension, likely a few others.  But the wheels, engine, front suspension, and frame were based on tooling for Parts Packs that were no longer being offered by then.

I recall hearing something about that Studebaker sedan/post body previously, and it may have from one of your posts, Mark, but thanks for the backstory.

The chassis looks really worked over, but the two braces forward of the rear axle kick-up do appear to be the same:

eac7b8d2-f4ab-4995-99b7-69231bfdbf12.jpg

5f5a8f6a-c90a-4e2f-86d3-6b170b287752.jpg

The Blown '58 Chrysler V-8 Engine, Custom Car Frame, and Drag Racing Wheels were the Parts Packs which were pirated, and at least some part of each re-used as part of the Miss Deal kit if I understand correctly?

On 10-1-2018 at 10:31 PM, Mark said:

Maybe there is one that just never got released.  I've got a bagged test shot of the Monogram '64 GTO that includes the optional "street machine" parts; I got it long before the 2-in-1 version was released...

On 10-1-2018 at 10:26 PM, Art Anderson said:

Luc, it is quite possible that no "2nd Version" was planned back at that time.  While Monogram did have a tradition of at least designing a "second edition" of model kits, I don't believe that was an ironclad thing.  (Too bad Bill Lastovich is no longer around--he was my guru, my pipeline into what was happening at Monogram, back in the 80's)

Art

I remember when the 2'n 1 Revell (ex Monogram) '69 Coronet came out(2001), Dean Milano stating, that it was the first time, that the street machine parts were included, which were tooled when the kit was designed back in the '80s .

So to me it's doubtful that the same MO wasn't applied when designing the Satellite, now those street machine parts inserts could have been scarified when the kit got retooled into a GTX and released in a Revell wrapper in '95.

Monogram Kit

1077811-31911-92-720.jpg

Revell re-box with the street machine Parts

187667-11104-56-pristine.jpg

Photo's courtesy of Scalemates

https://www.scalemates.com/

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, Mark said:

The Studebaker body tool was likely new, but was based on a wooden master done at Revell for a stock '53 Stude kit.  Revell stopped work on theirs upon seeing AMT's kit at a trade show.  When Revell dropped their Studebaker kit, the masters for some of the parts were likely done but had probably not yet progressed to the toolmaking stage.  Had Revell done a stock kit, might it have had opening doors and trunk like other car kits they were making in the '63-'66 period?

The Miss Deal chassis is NOT new; it is an extensive rework of the Parts Pack custom chassis (actually a C1 Corvette unit).  A few new parts were tooled: roll cage, seat, rear suspension, likely a few others.  But the wheels, engine, front suspension, and frame were based on tooling for Parts Packs that were no longer being offered by then.

Here's a photo of the original 1/10th scale master for Revell's stillborn 1/25th scale 1953 Studebaker kit.  After the kit was cancelled, the master was rejiggered (including front and rear wheels moved forward in A/FX style) for the "Miss Deal" release in 1967.  This artifact is on display at the International Model Car Museum near Salt Lake City, Utah.  TIM 

DSC 0472

More from the International Model Car Museum at this link.....

7 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

So to me it's doubtful that the same MO wasn't applied when designing the Satellite, now those street machine parts inserts could have been scarified when the kit got retooled into a GTX and released in a Revell wrapper in '95.

Applying the same logic, shouldn't there have been Street Machine options for Monogram's '70 Superbird and '70 Pontiac Trans Am kits too? I wouldn't include the '70 Road Runner as it was created long after the other '80s Monogram Mopar musclecar releases.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Applying the same logic, shouldn't there have been Street Machine options for Monogram's '70 Superbird..........

I think it would be even more logical for there to be a 426 Hemi to match all the racing decals they waste ink on when the kit has a 440! :rolleyes:

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

Applying the same logic, shouldn't there have been Street Machine options for Monogram's '70 Superbird and '70 Pontiac Trans Am kits too? I wouldn't include the '70 Road Runner as it was created long after the other '80s Monogram Mopar musclecar releases.

The original Monogram '70 GTX, had a Street Machine sibling, molded in blue, the Superbird was a sibling from the GTX tool too.

The '70 Pontiac Trans AM, hmm...good one Casey....another one for Bob Johnson, if someone here has contact info?

there was also the Challenger street machine 2n1 after the Challenger T/A version and the Buick GSX first GSX then street machine, but funny they did the 71 Cuda as separate releases first the shaker hood orange car then the street machine twin scoop hood black car

Edited by 440 Dakota
mistake

10 minutes ago, 440 Dakota said:

thinking about it a few minutes the 64 GTO same thing a later strret machine version and there were a few later 3n1s 79 Camaro and 70 Chevelle come to mind

there was a '78 Firebird 2'n 1 too, warbird it was called IIRC, the rear tires of that one and the Camaro ended up in the Ford F-250/350 pickup

On 08/12/2006 at 11:24 PM, Biscuitbuilder said:

More than once when I was at Playing Mantis, for example, we had to face the implied insistence from retail buyers that a model kit box be just a little bit smaller, a blister card adjusted so that more pegs could be used on a hanging display. Yet, as a manufacturer, we wanted a larger package, giving us more "presence", more visibility--so we had to meet somewhere in the middle. Believe me, when Walmart speaks, model kit (and other) manufacturers LISTEN. A lot of product sales hang in the balance there.

And what a sterling job they do in this respect lately.

39669607442_506f35aed3_b.jpg

27922091939_cdb8fa04da_b.jpg

Not only gives me this the opportunity to avoid unneccessary rubbish, it also demonstrates their deep concern with retailers' - and most of all my  - real estate.
It also saves a large portion of cartonage (read: trees), printing, warehouse space, fuel and soon the term 'air mail' has to be redefined in the otherwise way too
stout and rigid Encyclopedia Britannica, since air is what's predominantly mailed around nowadays.
I could not possibly have come up with a better concept to maximise profit, while at the same time lower the cost for the end user
and reduce the carbon footprint in the process.

Walmart et al can sod right off!

Where is Ralph Nader when we need him?

5 hours ago, Junkman said:

And what a sterling job they do in this respect lately... and soon the term 'air mail' has to be redefined in the otherwise way too stout and rigid Encyclopedia Britannica, since air is what's predominantly mailed around nowadays.

Some eBay vendors in places like Ukraine have a work-around for that:  they flatten the original kit boxes and put the sprues in a smaller box for shipping.  At least one Ukrainian company, ICM, tends to put small kits in big boxes.

Those vendors also warn buyers that they do not put an Invoice in the shipping box. That keeps nosy Customs inspectors from figuring out the real vs. declared value of the shipment.

I saw an eBay listing just yesterday where the seller mentioned those 2 things, and laughed.  Years ago I ordered some kits from Ukraine and they were shipped with the flattened boxes.  It confused me for a minute when I opened the box but it was pretty easy to figure out.

On 1/14/2018 at 7:49 AM, tim boyd said:

Here's a photo of the original 1/10th scale master for Revell's stillborn 1/25th scale 1953 Studebaker kit.

Thanks for posting that, Tim...I need to get my butt to Sandy at some point to check out the Museum. -_-

I think Jesse/Daddyfink may have posted some pics if the 1/10 Revell Attempt 1 master being loaded up to head to Utah from Tom West's(?) place a few years ago? I recall that dull black finish on the master and a black early Ranchero...

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Thanks for posting that, Tim...I need to get my butt to Sandy at some point to check out the Museum. -_-

I think Jesse/Daddyfink may have posted some pics if the 1/10 Revell Attempt 1 master being loaded up to head to Utah from Tom West's(?) place a few years ago? I recall that dull black finish on the master and a black early Ranchero...

Casey....yeah....I vaguely recall photos like that too.  

Yeah again...anyone who fancies themselves a serious model car builder needs to get to the International Model Car Museum at some point in their life.  It is an amazing place to be sure.   

TIM  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/14/2018 at 7:49 AM, tim boyd said:

Here's a photo of the original 1/10th scale master for Revell's stillborn 1/25th scale 1953 Studebaker kit.  After the kit was cancelled, the master was rejiggered (including front and rear wheels moved forward in A/FX style) for the "Miss Deal" release in 1967.  This artifact is on display at the International Model Car Museum near Salt Lake City, Utah.  TIM 

DSC 0472

More from the International Model Car Museum at this link.....

Now, with video: