Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Charger Daytona

mrmike

If you can get a finish like that out of a can, why even bother with decanting? Your paint looks fantastic as is.

Thanks Harry! Sometimes I seem to get a better finish from a rattlecan than from an airbrush. I have said this before and I continue to say that painting, be it with an airbrush or spray can, is a hit or miss deal with me. I continue to experiment with techniques and practice on occasion before I actually paint a body. If my experiment doesn't work, I go back to the basics. I am really happy with the finish on my Daytona and the fact that there is no clear gloss on it! :wub:

Thank you Jody!

Christmas is rapidly approaching and time at the bench has been in short supply here. I was able to start detailing the dash.

Daytona24.jpg

The interior side panels are awaiting assembly with the interior floor, dash, and firewall.

Daytona25.jpg

The headliner has been painted.

Daytona26.jpg

More to come.....

that's looking pretty nice! i know there is a tail stripe coming along with a color matched spoiler, but i wonder how nice it would look without it and the spoiler done in blue.

Dave

I was thinking the same thing myself! Kinda dark and sinister looking.

Thanks Harry, but isn't there a member here by that name? ;) And, I do know of one other person to whom that title may apply.

Up on 4 wheels! I did a mock up this morning to check the stance and it's perfect! I used the stock car spindles instead of the factory stock spindles which set the rack just where I wanted it.

Daytona29.jpg

Daytona30.jpg

I might finish my Daytona today, but there is still a lot of work left to do.

More to come.....

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Jared! I'm glad you've been watching!

DISASTER!!!!! My 10 year old decals broke apart after dipping them in water.

Daytona31.jpg

I could order a set from Keith Marks, but then the Daytona would be sitting on the bench for a couple of weeks longer than what I wanted. My solution is to mask, sand, and paint the stripe on.

Daytona32.jpg

Daytona33.jpg

More to come.....

Thanks Harry, but isn't there a member here by that name? :lol: And, I do know of one other person to whom that title may apply.

Up on 4 wheels! I did a mock up this morning to check the stance and it's perfect! I used the stock car spindles instead of the factory stock spindles which set the rack just where I wanted it.

I might finish my Daytona today, but there is still a lot of work left to do.

More to come.....

Mike get that Wing on there it looks like a charger with a nose cone, I love Mopars, I got one of these kits around here somewhere...........

Daytona31.jpg

I had the same thing happen when I built my Daytona years ago. I dipped the decals in water, and they crumbled up like super stale bread! I ordered a new set from Revell, but caution dictated that I cover the decals first with Microscale Decal Film.

Worked like a charm! I told Revell about the problem with their flimsy decals, but apparently I'm hearing stories that not much has changed. :D

Bill, this is the first time I ever had a problem with Revell decals and I think the problem is due to the age of the decals. If I knew this was going to happen I would have tried coating them with some Microsol Liquid Decal Film. Oh well, life goes on! :)

• 7 months later...