Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Charger Daytona

mrmike

Charlie, once again Mother Nature fools us!

Thank you George!

I finished the Hemi this evening.

Daytona12.jpg

And the body has been polished and contains absolutely no clearcoat!

Daytona13.jpg

Daytona14.jpg

More to come.....

Edited by mrmike

Thank you Charlie!

I got the Hemi lowered as much as possible. The exhaust manifolds are now sitting on the motor mounts so this is as low as I can go without modifying the manifolds.

Daytona15.jpg

I modified the exhaust system and mounted it to the chassis.

Daytona16.jpg

The body has been foiled including the dreaded wheel opening mouldings. My solution was to use 3 separate pieces of foil instead of trying to manipulate one long piece of foil around the curve.

Daytona18.jpg

Interior detailing has begun, but the center console is in need of further work.

Daytona19.jpg

The front suspension, rear axle, and firewall are ready for installation later.

Daytona20.jpg

More to come.....

Edited by mrmike

Thanks guys!

Dave, I have the stock spindles in the K-member right now, but if the front end is too high, I'll try the race spindles. If I don't like either, I'll cut off the spindles and set my own height with a custom made spindle.

Mike, I used the Tamiya paint right from the rattle can. Maybe someday, I'll try decanting.

Edited by mrmike

Bill, I am so sorry to hear about your loss! I have been there with my pets over the years.

I have decided not to have any woodgrain on the dash and have repainted it semi-gloss black.

Daytona22.jpg

The center console has been detailed with some BMF along the lower portions of the console.

Daytona23.jpg

The interior side panels are being detailed.

Daytona21.jpg

My thanks to my Mopar Information Officer for his help so far on this project!

More to come.....

Mike, NOT to be nitpicky, but I owned a 69 Charger R/T 440/4spd, with the console, and I don't remember or see that chrome strip running down the side of it in my pics of it. Are you SURE it's factory correct? Not that it makes or takes ANYTHING from it, just askin...... ;):lol:

George, I think thats just the way the console is molded. The part below that chrome strip is actually supposed to be part of the floorboard, and should be carpeted. The part above the chrome strip is the actual console.

Looking great so far!

Edited by roadhawg

Oh yeah, Tommy, I was talkin about the "J" shaped chrome strip that's goin down from the console top to the floor. If i remember correctly the WAS a vynil beading that ran in that same general area that seperated the plastic on the upper side of the console from the carpeting on the bottom of it. But I'm an old fart now, and MAYBE I just don't remember a chrome strip there.(Although I'll BET money there wasn't) ;):lol::lol:

Well now, it appears that George is headin' for the poor house now that he has to pay off Tommy! But then, I didn't see a handshake on the deal! :(

I have come to the conclusion that the console is molded wrong. The chrome trim on the bottom edge of the console is too long as it extends too far back. Nothing I can do about it now since I have already flocked the carpet areas of the console and the interior floor pan. I do appreciate everyone's input on this project so far and look forward to reading more of your comments as I progress with my Daytona.

Being a new member here, I thought I would introduce myself with my new project, the Pro Modeler '69 Daytona. In order to build this car with the 426 Hemi motor, I had to find an air cleaner from a Revell '67 Coronet R/T and the exhaust manifolds from AMT/Ertl's '68 Road Runner kits.

Daytona01.jpg

The paint is Tamiya TS-19 Metallic Blue with a white/blue interior.

Daytona02.jpg

The body is in the early stages of clean up.

Daytona03.jpg

I look forward to making some new friends here and I welcome your comments.

More to come.....

nice kit i got the amt ver of this kit and its junk i am using the 426 for a project on this site my whoa mad that was the only thing i liked about the kit i think Revell and Mogram's kits are better like my Revell AAR Cuda is amazing expect the front nose panel lol just needs to drilled out but other then that its a great looking model. are these kits of your model still around?

OOOHHHH, Zo zew tink zew can DOUBTESS ME??? Make it TWO MEEELION dallahs,zu scoffier zu! I shall providess PHOTOGRAPHIC prrrrooff! I vant it in 10/20 /50 dollahs denominations viss UNmarkeded billz!!!! :D:D;) Not to Vorry Thomas, I VILL NOT take zur LAST penny! Only MOST off ZEM!!!BWWWAAAAHHHHAAAA!!!!!! :P:D;)

Vell Tomas, It SEEMS ve are BOTH right! There IZ a trim peice on zee bottom off de console, BUT eet iz NOT az shown in ze photo! So I guess I VILL NOT inherit TWO meelion dollahs, unt YOU vill NOT go broke! Let's joost call zis a Mexican/American stand-off! But Vee SCHALL MEET AGAIN!!!! :):lol:;) BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!!!

Vell Tomas, It SEEMS ve are BOTH right! There IZ a trim peice on zee bottom off de console, BUT eet iz NOT az shown in ze photo! So I guess I VILL NOT inherit TWO meelion dollahs, unt YOU vill NOT go broke! Let's joost call zis a Mexican/American stand-off! But Vee SCHALL MEET AGAIN!!!! :):lol:;) BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!!!

Mexican/American??? :blink:

I think I hear a bit of a "Cherman" accent there....