Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Non-Toxic Cement For Models

I have always used the old-school orange Testors tube for my joint bonding, but I am now out and only have the non-toxic blue tube variety that came with a hobby kit. I never tried it before because a lot of people have said it is not as good, but since I'm not inclined to be making a trip to the LHS until after Christmas, I gave it a go. The orange citrus cent is a bit weird, but I've noticed its not as *stringy* as the orange stuff and was thinner and easier to apply with my trusty cheap-o Testors brush and had less of a 'crust'.

Anybody know if the claims that it doesn't hold as solid as the orange tube are true? I've also heard that the orange tube is not manufactured anymore or something?

Here's a little helpful hint: Toss the tube glue altogether. Use liquid cement, available from various manufacturers. It's the cleanest way to build. You apply the cement to the joint with a small brush (some brands have a brush built into the cap)... capillary action draws the cement into the seam. No more glue smears, stringy glue, etc. Definitely a step up from old-fashioned "tube glue."

Here's a little helpful hint: Toss the tube glue altogether. Use liquid cement, available from various manufacturers. It's the cleanest way to build. You apply the cement to the joint with a small brush (some brands have a brush built into the cap)... capillary action draws the cement into the seam. No more glue smears, stringy glue, etc. Definitely a step up from old-fashioned "tube glue."

Nah. I use CA glue for most my work. I find it works best for me. Liquid cement works best for you. My post was about tube glue. Thanks anyways brosef.

I think CA might have some issues in a hot, dry climate like Phoenix, where I live. It may be due to a lack of prep skill on my part, but it seems that after a few years, the CA sometimes just lets go. Not all of it, not all at once and it's mostly very small parts. I know that it cures faster in warmer temps, maybe that has something to do with the adhesion failure.

But like I said, it could also be a result of my prep.

I have always used the old-school orange Testors tube for my joint bonding, but I am now out and only have the non-toxic blue tube variety that came with a hobby kit. I never tried it before because a lot of people have said it is not as good, but since I'm not inclined to be making a trip to the LHS until after Christmas, I gave it a go. The orange citrus cent is a bit weird, but I've noticed its not as *stringy* as the orange stuff and was thinner and easier to apply with my trusty cheap-o Testors brush and had less of a 'crust'.

Anybody know if the claims that it doesn't hold as solid as the orange tube are true? I've also heard that the orange tube is not manufactured anymore or something?

I have always heard the negative comments on the "blue tube", yet I don't recall anyone actually putting it to the test. Your comments on it are the first I have heard that are specific to actual trials, and it doesn't sound as bad as I have been lead to believe. It's the 'orange tube' that I dislike. Too darn stringy!

I have a square glass jar of Testors Liquid Cement. I have squeezed 'orange tube' glue into it to slightly thicken the mix. Now it's still quite liquid, yet not as watery.

Yep. I've seen the guy buy as many as 10 tubes in the course of a day. And, wouldn't you know, he never buys any models! :rolleyes:

:D

You're going to love this ;)

I kept seeing ongoing references to Glucifer on your FB page, the way it was written & without me knowing any of the background it sounded to me like you were working on some sort of large craft-type sculpture or statue @ work, adding to it bit by bit every time you mentioned "four more tubes today"....man, I wasn't even close...not even in the same galaxy...and I swear, I haven't used any tube glue in decades :D

Edited by Zoom Zoom

:rolleyes: Glucifer? Reminds me of a recent episode of The Simpsons where Auto buys a wad of orange glue tubes and gets called out for not buying any models.

Kind of wondered if the discontinuation of the orange tubes was complete bull. One of the hobby shops in town was all like, "Ya, they only produce the non-toxic tubes now". Proves that not all LHS clerks are a reliable source. Probably fed me that line to push the dead stock of blue tubes.

Everything said and done, think I'm going to stick with the ol' trusty orange tube. I know how it works and how to use it to get the good results despite the stringies. The blue tube seems to be working in a pinch, but the actual bonding of plastic seems pretty weak-sauce compared to the traditional orange stuff.

For everything else that doesn't need a strong bond, I use that Insta-Cure gap filling CA glue. Quick, easy, fills into gaps as advertised and can be sanded down. The Testors tube is just used for the heavy-duty joints.

The thing that makes Testors orange tube glue work is that it contains a solvent, toluene, that partially melts and fuses styrene plastic together.

The blue tube stuff, in order to be called "non-toxic", basically eliminates the toxic part (the toluene, the ingredient that makes the glue work) and substitutes citric acid instead. In other words, the blue tube stuff is missing the very ingredient (toluene) that makes the orange tube stuff work! Bottom line: the blue tube stuff can't possibly work as well as the orange tube stuff.

The thing that makes Testors orange tube glue work is that it contains a solvent, toluene, that partially melts and fuses styrene plastic together.

The blue tube stuff, in order to be called "non-toxic", basically eliminates the toxic part (the toluene, the ingredient that makes the glue work) and substitutes citric acid instead. In other words, the blue tube stuff is missing the very ingredient (toluene) that makes the orange tube stuff work! Bottom line: the blue tube stuff can't possibly work as well as the orange tube stuff.

Citric acid? :rolleyes: Isn't that the key ingredient in orange flavored soft drinks? Explains a lot... Into the trash it goes!

Non-toxic glue? That's a good one! When I tried building a "Blue Max" funny car, given to me as a birthday present by a friend, with that glue (this was in the early 70's when the kit was new), the glue was pretty ineffective & I think the model hit the wall in frustration. I'd say the glue caused quite a toxic reaction due to it's complete uselessness :D "When life hands you lemons, in the case of lousy glue it even smells like lemons" :rolleyes::D

I hang a large part of the failer of our hobby on the blue tube glue.

I've heard over, ond over again how ones model fell apart before it was even finished, making model building too hard to do.

And theses days most people get exposed to the hobby through the big box stores, and they for the most part only sell the nontox stuff.

It's the cleanest way to build.

Hey, Pat Covert! When did you show up! :)

I still use the (orange) tube glue on 'less than crucial' jobs, but I've pretty much defected to Tenax, Permatex Epoxy, and Loctite Super Glue for all my sticking-my-fingers-to-everything needs!

My rule of thumb- avoid the blue tubes as if they are crawling with Swine Flu. It's okay for gluing clear parts... but not much else, and besides, there are plenty of better glues for clear parts anyway!

Edited by Chuck Most

Here's the glue's I like best :lol: .

Each has a particular use for my different stages of building. The glue I use the most is the two-part epoxy. I use a ton of that stuff, but I also use plenty of the super-glue, and to me nothing is stronger than the Testors orange/white stuff - hands down.

By the way Harry, how do you know which glue is best??. POCHER KITS COME WITH SCREWDRIVERS ;);)

2009_1130Photobucket10038.jpg

I don't mean to freak anybody out but I actually like the blue tube stuff. I use it all the time. My models haven't fell apart yet! Although I do admit I only got back into the hobby a couple years ago. So far so good. I even use it on some painted parts with no problems. It will eat the paint ( nice for weathering ). I have even glued wheels on with it. The nice thing about this is that the glue always stays a tad bit flexible. So if a wheel is not quite straight, you can bend it into shape without it snapping off. I still use my Zap a Gap ca when I need extra strength or quick drying.

I say go ahead and try it on little things like steering linkages or things that you may not want to dry quickly. How strong does a blower scoop on top of an injection system or a valve stem really have to be? :lol: