Model Cars Magazine Forum

community muscle car build anyone ?

diymirage

The parts are washed and dried. I've glued the rear end and the bucket seat cushions and shells to each other. Right now, I'm trying to determine the painting strategy I'm going to employ, especially given the weather this weekend (cold and rain/snow,) and that my apartment doesn't have great air circulation. The other problem I'm dealing with is the weather itself, which has now become quite chilly.

I'm hoping with some degree of luck that things will break for a little tomorrow so I can at least prime. If I can get parts primed, I can get the brush-painting done, and possibly do a little airbrushing for some parts as I've found that the airbrush, when done near the window with a fan pointing out, doesn't generate too many fumes with enamels, anyway.

Charlie Larkin

Hey, If its cool with the host of the build I will switch from the 64' Falcon I was planning on doing to a 64' Cutlass F-85. That will put at lesat one Oldsmobile in the build. The Olds is more of a muscle car than the Falcon anyway and one of my fav. cars. So what say Eelco can you switch my car to the 64' Olds F-85 ??? Sorry to be a pain. :lol:

its all good

plus it is nice to see a broader aray of manufacturers :huh:

its all good

plus it is nice to see a broader aray of manufacturers :huh:

Hey Eelco

Thanks for switching out the Falcon for the Olds for me, this is what I will be building. One of my resin kits. The pics are of a mock up, its not started yet. I am a pro street junkie so that might be the direction it goes in, not sure yet. Nor on the engine choice, I did not cast the orig. kit engine but could use the engine out of the 66' 442 donor kit. The engine I sat down in the mock up with the 4 side draft webers is a DOHC Hemi,,,I guess that would be a crime against nature. Will post more pics when I figure out which way its going. :lol:

1A-RESIN10-15-2009026.jpg

53FORDEXTRACAB025.jpg

53FORDEXTRACAB034.jpg

The parts are washed and dried. I've glued the rear end and the bucket seat cushions and shells to each other. Right now, I'm trying to determine the painting strategy I'm going to employ, especially given the weather this weekend (cold and rain/snow,) and that my apartment doesn't have great air circulation. The other problem I'm dealing with is the weather itself, which has now become quite chilly.

I'm hoping with some degree of luck that things will break for a little tomorrow so I can at least prime. If I can get parts primed, I can get the brush-painting done, and possibly do a little airbrushing for some parts as I've found that the airbrush, when done near the window with a fan pointing out, doesn't generate too many fumes with enamels, anyway.

Charlie Larkin

You could do what i did yesterday, i wanted to get at least one model don in 09' so i built one yesterday evening(thats right in a matter of hours :lol: and it looks like something that needs to be flushed.lol)

I painted it outside when it was below thirty, heres my method.

First do all your pre primer prep work. then go plug in a hairdryer in your bathroom.

second, warm your paint in some hot water for a few minutes so it isnt all gunky.

Third, spray very light coats on it, then imediatley take it to your bathroomUse the low function on your hair dryer to "bake teh paint" after youve covered teh entire body with low hit it with the high functoin(you going to want the body tapped on good to your stand)

Repeat as many times as you want, you can also use it for paint, just let the paint sit in a room wiht a vent, and when your clear is drying let that dry all by its self(no hair dryer)

hope that helps :huh:

Ill post a picture of the paint job i got later today, mind you its not the best(i painted at night and got some strands of fibre on it from my jacket) but it looks pretty good for the entire body being painted and cleared in a hour and a half!

that is the log manifold from a desoto firedome hemi on there

and yes, they have one carb per cylinder

(so far for my low carb diet)

i dont like the rail wheels but other then thet it sounds good

specially the hemi :lol:

I can start posting progress pictures of the engine if you like? I need to start repainting it anyways :huh:

Here it is in a very old build i built as a kid.

023-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

I built that when i was about 10 :lol:

Since then iv'e added a blower to it though :P

wasnt your definition of a muscle car an overpowered car? i think mines gonna fit in just perfect :huh: (insert evil laugh icon here :lol: )

53FORDEXTRACAB025.jpg

That engine looks amazing in that little car, thats a true muscle car! why not keep that engine in it?

Also whats that tuck in the background?

The engine dose look cool in the Olds, but I am not sure If I want to put the DOHC Hemi in it, might be cool though. Lets see what everbody else has to say about it and I will give it some thought. B)

The truck in the background is the master for a 53' ford I mastered and am casting now, I am working on one of those for Nick's street truck build, he never added me to the list though I don't think. Here's a pic of a mock up I used in my E-Bay and web site ads. :blink:

53ford016-1.jpg

Edited by Porky

Hey Eelco

Thanks for switching out the Falcon for the Olds for me, this is what I will be building. One of my resin kits. The pics are of a mock up, its not started yet. I am a pro street junkie so that might be the direction it goes in, not sure yet. Nor on the engine choice, I did not cast the orig. kit engine but could use the engine out of the 66' 442 donor kit. The engine I sat down in the mock up with the 4 side draft webers is a DOHC Hemi,,,I guess that would be a crime against nature. Will post more pics when I figure out which way its going. :blink:

1A-RESIN10-15-2009026.jpg

53FORDEXTRACAB025.jpg

53FORDEXTRACAB034.jpg

that is a nice car

cant go wrong with those wheels either

but you are right about that engine

it is way to sick to stick in there (i mean, how are you gonna pop the hood? )

so ill send you a PM with my adres and you can ship it to me, then ill slap her in a 71 charger :lol:

so, you cast that kit yourself ?

id love to get started on that one of these days myself but im not sure if im ready yet :lol:

I can start posting progress pictures of the engine if you like? I need to start repainting it anyways B)

Here it is in a very old build i built as a kid.

023-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

I built that when i was about 10 :lol:

Since then iv'e added a blower to it though :lol:

wasnt your definition of a muscle car an overpowered car? i think mines gonna fit in just perfect :lol: (insert evil laugh icon here :lol: )

i think i have seen that kit before, did you post pics of it onces ?

either way, i like having old kits around i am not proud of, they make great scavenger cars :lol:

The engine dose look cool in the Olds, but I am not sure If I want to put the DOHC Hemi in it, might be cool though. Lets see what everbody else has to say about it and I will give it some thought. :lol:

The truck in the background is the master for a 53' ford I mastered and am casting now, I am working on one of those for Nick's street truck build, he never added me to the list though I don't think. Here's a pic of a mock up I used in my E-Bay and web site ads. :lol:

53ford016-1.jpg

OOOOPsss forgot to add you to my List Eric, I'll get right on it.

that is a nice car

Thanks for the good words on the Olds, it came out pretty well I think and has been selling pretty good too.

Not sure what wheels will end up on the thing, If I pro street this one the wheels won't work in the rear.

Oh but the hood will come off, it is cut all the way to the rear of the hood so it slides off the front of the car, no problem. I love those big DOHC Hemi engines, The intake and carbs are the really cool part, give it that "Shock & Awwweee" factor. The intake and carbs are off the old gran sport vette kits and I done a bit of scratch buildin' to the bottom, made it wider and raised it up to fit the Hemi, kinda looks like a tunnel port intake now, you can see the lifter tray under it

so ill send you a PM with my adres and you can ship it to me, then ill slap her in a 71 charger :D

The engines come out of the amt/ertl dodge super bee pro street kit, I have 15 or 20 of those kits, I build alot of pro street kits and use the engines, tires, wheels and chassis from that kit, I don't think I have another intake carb set up like that, I guess I could take the carbs back off this one and cast it, but if you need/want one of the DOHC Hemi's I think I am fixin to start casting it, be a couple weeks out I think, if you need one sooner I can send ya a kit engine, let me know...

Yep, I cast this kit a the 53' ford extra cab and the Falcon I was gona build and some semi truck parts, fixin to start doing some engines a 427 cammer ford, the DOHC Hemi who knows what else, anything I think that I can sell.

id love to get started on that one of these days myself but im not sure if im ready yet

Casting parts ain't too bad its the mold making that takes all the time and money, the mold rubber is kinda high. You do have to have some equipment, vacuum chamber, pressure pots, air compressor and alot of time. If you ever want to start let me know if I can help.

i think i have seen that kit before, did you post pics of it onces ?

either way, i like having old kits around i am not proud of, they make great scavenger cars :D

Yep, im in the process of redoing it, i got stuck on making the windshield frame so its on the backburner for now.

Its eventually going to be a replica of my 'vette. Just gotta start the engine for it :D

The engine dose look cool in the Olds, but I am not sure If I want to put the DOHC Hemi in it, might be cool though. Lets see what everbody else has to say about it and I will give it some thought. :D

The truck in the background is the master for a 53' ford I mastered and am casting now, I am working on one of those for Nick's street truck build, he never added me to the list though I don't think. Here's a pic of a mock up I used in my E-Bay and web site ads. :D

53ford016-1.jpg

I still think that that car is the true meaning of a muscle car B)

That 53' ford is pretty cool, whas that a real truck? or just something you thought of doing?

I still think that that car is the true meaning of a muscle car :D

That 53' ford is pretty cool, whas that a real truck? or just something you thought of doing?

Hey Jeff, I don't think they ever made such a critter :D

I was out in the shop and had the kankerin' to cut something up 2 53' ford cabs and a couple days later this is the end product, glad ya like it. B)

QUOTE(diymirage @ Dec 6 2009, 09:25 AM)

that is a nice car

Thanks for the good words on the Olds, it came out pretty well I think and has been selling pretty good too.

Not sure what wheels will end up on the thing, If I pro street this one the wheels won't work in the rear.

Oh but the hood will come off, it is cut all the way to the rear of the hood so it slides off the front of the car, no problem. I love those big DOHC Hemi engines, The intake and carbs are the really cool part, give it that "Shock & Awwweee" factor. The intake and carbs are off the old gran sport vette kits and I done a bit of scratch buildin' to the bottom, made it wider and raised it up to fit the Hemi, kinda looks like a tunnel port intake now, you can see the lifter tray under it

so ill send you a PM with my adres and you can ship it to me, then ill slap her in a 71 charger

The engines come out of the amt/ertl dodge super bee pro street kit, I have 15 or 20 of those kits, I build alot of pro street kits and use the engines, tires, wheels and chassis from that kit, I don't think I have another intake carb set up like that, I guess I could take the carbs back off this one and cast it, but if you need/want one of the DOHC Hemi's I think I am fixin to start casting it, be a couple weeks out I think, if you need one sooner I can send ya a kit engine, let me know...

Yep, I cast this kit a the 53' ford extra cab and the Falcon I was gona build and some semi truck parts, fixin to start doing some engines a 427 cammer ford, the DOHC Hemi who knows what else, anything I think that I can sell.

id love to get started on that one of these days myself but im not sure if im ready yet

Casting parts ain't too bad its the mold making that takes all the time and money, the mold rubber is kinda high. You do have to have some equipment, vacuum chamber, pressure pots, air compressor and alot of time. If you ever want to start let me know if I can help.

thats cool :D

i wouldnt feel right asking for an engine right now though,

i still have the desoto to install and i have to many kits im working on, it would just end up being a show piece in the garage dio for now

thanks for offering though

im also not going to be casting anything myself anytime soon

the wife is working on a mini me and when he gets here in februari i doubt ill have much time for any other modeling :D

That F-85 looks amazing! B)

No progress to speak of, oughta be able to get started on mine next weekend, but here's the body style, the wheels I've chosen, and the main body paint color...

P1030386.jpg

P1030388.jpg

P1030391.jpg

The roof will be silver...Interior, I have no idea...lol...and I'll need to order a prewired distributor and wire my first engine. :rolleyes:

That F-85 looks amazing! B)

No progress to speak of, oughta be able to get started on mine next weekend, but here's the body style, the wheels I've chosen, and the main body paint color...

P1030388.jpg

The roof will be silver...Interior, I have no idea...lol...and I'll need to order a prewired distributor and wire my first engine. :rolleyes:

those colours would look nice on it

dont sweat the dizzy, seeing how you went with a prewired one, the hardest part is done

all you do now is drill some holes in the heads and slide the wires in

those are the wheels i had origenally chosen....

Got a '78 Firebird kit, want to build it street stock 403. Is it cool to throw this one into the muscle car build?

Nathan

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG0.jpg

....and that was the kit they came in ;)

that firebird definatly fits in this build

ill ad you to the list

decide on the paint yet ?

as cool as the screaming chicken is, the idea of stripes on it is quite novel to me aswell

The interior on my GTO is now painted. The airbrush (and the paint, which lost some of its solvent and had to be mixed and remixed) fought me all the way, but it got done. I'm now sitting with the window cracked open at 30 degrees outside to let my apartment vent.

(and wishing I wasn't a bachelor :rolleyes: )

Model Master Chrysler Engine Blue is a fairly nice match for GM blue vinyl of the period. I'm still figuring out what I want to do for the interior. If I can come up with cash, I might order a bottle of Barrier Blue from MCW, otherwise, it's Cameo Ivory, A.K.A. Dupli-Color DS-GM153, which is very easy to obtain at auto parts store for less money.

Charlie Larkin

those colours would look nice on it

that firebird definatly fits in this build

ill ad you to the list

decide on the paint yet ?

as cool as the screaming chicken is, the idea of stripes on it is quite novel to me aswell

Screaming chicken? :rolleyes:

I'm a sucker for the cliche. Black with that "screaming chicken" going on the hood.

Edited by beefheart22

Shucks Eelco we never left topic persay, just sorta steered into the other lane a bit, what color are you gonna do your cuda?

this one right here :rolleyes:

IMG00038-20091206-1921.jpg

IMG00040-20091206-1922.jpg

and here is a picture (louzy but still) to compare the paint i got (RAF trainer yellow) to the butterscotsch i was shooting for

IMG00043-20091206-1937.jpg

and finally a shot fo the car with the racing hood on it

IMG00041-20091206-1934.jpg

as i mentioned before, this car will have two hoods, the one shown in this pic which represent a fiberglass hood we will bolt up for trackdays

and a steel 6 inch rise AARC hood that will allow shelter for the 8 carbs and 2 aircleaners during road trips and cruizin'

wife is working on a mini me and when he gets here in februari i doubt ill have much time for any other modeling :rolleyes:

Hey no problem & Congrats on the mini me, that my friend is a live changin' thing, for the better I might add. Thats when I got back into modeling. When our son came along I sold my race car, motorcycles and started building again, keeps me at home and is leaps and bounds cheaper than drag racing 1:1 cars. We live close enough to the local drag strip that I can sit out on the deck and listen to them burn it up, sometimes miss the smell of racing fuel and burning rubber though. B)