Model Cars Magazine Forum

community muscle car build anyone ?

diymirage

I've been reading this thread and have decided to do the following. :o

I'm building an air plane so I'm going to add it to this build. It only has one door but it has losts of muscle so I'm adding it. :P

Ignorance can be bliss, but not so much for the people watching or listening to the blissful.

In this isntance the ignore button would work great for ya all.

LMFAO :P

Ok so I'm posting these pics to show you how much is done on this kit. What you see in the pictures is all. I have to make a vinal top it now because I was taken apart a caddy, my hands slipped and put a HUGE GASH right in the center of the roof with the caddie widows!!! So I've got to get some styrene and stuff to do that. The chassis, suspension, and engine block is NOT finished yet but has been painted with there base colors but no detailing done yet and I had to take the BMF off so that has to be redone too. Let me know if it's all right to join in, and trust me, I'm NOT a fast builder, Accually I am a perfectionist so it won't be done anytime soon. :P

so here are the pics

sonoma561.jpg

sonoma563.jpg

sonoma564.jpg

sonoma566.jpg

Let me know what happens :o

Ok so I'm posting these pics to show you how much is done on this kit. What you see in the pictures is all. I have to make a vinal top it now because I was taken apart a caddy, my hands slipped and put a HUGE GASH right in the center of the roof with the caddie widows!!! So I've got to get some styrene and stuff to do that. The chassis, suspension, and engine block is NOT finished yet but has been painted with there base colors but no detailing done yet and I had to take the BMF off so that has to be redone too. Let me know if it's all right to join in, and trust me, I'm NOT a fast builder, Accually I am a perfectionist so it won't be done anytime soon. :lol:

so here are the pics

sonoma561.jpg

sonoma563.jpg

sonoma564.jpg

sonoma566.jpg

Let me know what happens :lol:

i think there is enough work left here to let you in :lol:

plus, im thrilled to see some actual building goin on

( just between you and me, i grew weary of arguing the definition of a muscle car about 5 pages ago)

so have at her :D

a little "stock" for "stock" comparison here. these are printed facts, not my opinion here :lol:

'94-'95 Impala SS

LT-1 350 V-8 260hp, 330lbs torque

0-60 7.1 seconds

1/4 mile 15.4 seconds @ 91.1 mph

'76-'79 Plymouth Volare Roadrunner

E58 360 V-8 230hp, 280lbs torque

0-60 7.3 seconds

1/4 mile 15.9 seconds @ 88mph top spd 111 0-60 in 7.2 sec and all with a 2.94:1 gear

both have lame highway cruiser gearing,Not so. The Road Runner was stock with 2.94 gears or 3.23 gears with the trak pak optional 3.55's were available. the Impala's slightly better than the Roadrunner. the Impala is quite a bit heavier than the Roadrunner, but is capable of outrunning it "stock" for "stock" even in top speedAgain that is not the case, I know, I've done it including going against the police package cars. The areo on those cars are not as good as the Road Runner either and they don't handle quite as well.. start modifying both and things could change. there is no way you are going to tell me either that a stock 318 from the 70's is going to outrun a Corvette, even one of those joke of a performance late 70's dogs Well, I'm afraid they did. Match for match, all are stock cars. Camaro Z28 350 4 8.6 0=60 16.3 @ 83 top 105 Vette L82 350 4 8.8 0-60 16.6 82 top n/aTrans Am 4004 4 9.3 0-60 16.9 @ 82 top 110.

i'm not knocking the 70's Roadrunners as i quite like them, at least the Volare based versions. it's no secret that i'm a huge Mopar fan, . besides hot rods, musclecars are my passion.

think that .5 seconds isn't a big difference? if you've been down a 1/8 or 1/4 mile track and you'd know that it is. what's that saying from that infamous movie? "winning is winning, no matter if it's by a fender or a mile" that's probably not exactly what was said, but for the most part you get the idea. if you don't i don't know what to tell you :lol: F and F is the movie the line comes from.

Dave

I'm going to correct you post, cause some if it is way off. And yes, I know about drag racing. That's what I first started out doing, but I hate brackets and it cost too much for a 1/4 mile heads up run. I moved on to dirt tracks, dabbled with a little SCCA road course racing and have a few wins at that. Until now, I have been racing NASCAR G.N. Sportsman cars. They are taking away a local track and I don't care much from some of the others in the area, so I think I may go back to SCCA road course racing. We already have three cars just sitting there begging to be built.

By the way, I have written a book on the F body Mopar's since I could not find one and there's so much missinfo in the net about these cars. I have tons of factory paper work straight from Mopar. Copies of course. I was hoping to be done with it by now. I'm actually doing two books. One is for the muscle car versions only and the other will have everything in it. The hold up is editing and trying to get the pics to work in the software and be able to download it to the publisher so it will work correctly. Last time we tried it, we ended up with 5 pics of the same car on one page. Could not get them off of there either. Had to delete it and start all over again. It's been a real pain I tell ya.

I'll start building my Fairlane as soon as I clear off the Tamiya Skyline 2000GTR that's on the bench right now. Shouldn't be too long.

The Fairlane is going to be Testors One-Coat Icy Blue with a Model Master Sterling Silver roof and Centerline wheels stolen from the parts box. Whether the Centerlines remain chrome, are dullcoated, or painted a darker gray with chrome lip remains to be seen.

And I agree, I'd like to see less bickering on what makes a "muscle car" and more building. :lol:

for a little fun comparison here to go along with the above posted facts about the Impala SS and the Volare Roadrunner. those cars both run 15 second quartermile times "stock" and do so with muscular images. my Subaru WRX ran 14.50 quartermile times "stock" and besides it's bulged fenders looked more "Pokemon" than anything, never was marketed as a "musclecar" and did that smackdown with a small displacement 4 cylinder.

a Ford Fairmont with a 427 IS NOT a musclecar, it's a Ford Fairmont with a big engine ;) a street machine maybe, but it's not and never will be a musclecar.

by your definition a '68 Ford pick-up with a 390 is a musclecar. it's got 2-doors, was built between 1960-'80 and has a big engine :D is it a musclecar? not even close, it's just a truck with a big engine.

a 2-door car with a big engine doesn't define a musclecar either. what about the '68-'69 Camaro Z/28 with it's 302c.i. small-block V-8, or the '69-'70 Boss 302 Mustang? then there is the 273 D-stock Dodge Darts, all the 340 powered Mopars. 327 powered Chevy's and so on.

Dave

Dave actually it's just a Ford pickup, you could get a 390 from Ford Motor company for the '68 2WD Ford F100 and F250 trucks under the Code H

Edited by Dukefan69'

that was the point i was trying to make Nick. a truck with a big engine IS NOT a musclecar, nor a muscletruck. it's just a truck with a big engine, plain and simple. it could be a cool street machine, pro street or serious 4x4 though depending on what's been modified.

my discussion, debate, or argument, whatever you wish to call it was in good fun and not meant to be demeaning or harmful. some people taking part in this community build are building true "musclecars", most it seems in my opinion are just building modified cars or street machines. what is or isnt a musclecar is infinitely debatable and we could argue that as well as specs until we are all blue in the face or wanting to cuss each other out. build away everyone :D

Dave

I know Dave just wanted to make sure you knew I had your back with extra info.

I have an original '76 Road Runner 360 auto. It's not a '77 but I'll run you and shut you down if your money is right. As a matter of fact, it'll put a vette on the trailer. And since you said 77, the 360 Little Red Express was the car (cough, it's a truck) of the year for two years running. It out runs vette's too. Muscle died in 80 when everything went FWD even though Mopar still made some stock 200 plus turbo 4's. And the 4 dr rule is not lame. No muscle car ever had 4 dr.s and a slow arse impala is not a muscle car that's for sure. Out ran too many of those things with a stock 318 single ex. Gran Fury. Even easier in my 360 4 spd Duster. Maybe it's just the driver in these cases. :lol:

100_0912.jpg

100_0913.jpg

dwc1110.jpg

ill take that bet! at the begining of the year, this is what i plan on doing.

My 84' 'vette with a carb swap, camle hump heads that have been ported and polished, stroked to a 383,a 4-11 blower with a dual quad manifold with two holly 750 cfm duoble pumpers, bored .30 over and a bueprint on the bottom end :lol:

All that hooked up to a 700r4 with a b&m stage two shift kit. and 4:11's in the dana 36(posi).

Stock my car puts out around 220 h.p. at the rear wheels, and around 280 lbs. per foot of tourque.

With all those upgrades im looking for around 400 h.p. to the rears and around 480 lbs. per foot of tourque.

I cant wait to get a 100 shot of giggle juice :lol:

Still wanna race?

Did i mention that my 'vette is considered slow among corvette enthusiasts ;)

ill even keep my drag radials in the garage :lol:

Gah i love bench racing :D

Edited by ThatOneEmoKid

that was the point i was trying to make Nick. a truck with a big engine IS NOT a musclecar, nor a muscletruck. it's just a truck with a big engine, plain and simple. it could be a cool street machine, pro street or serious 4x4 though depending on what's been modified.

my discussion, debate, or argument, whatever you wish to call it was in good fun and not meant to be demeaning or harmful. some people taking part in this community build are building true "musclecars", most it seems in my opinion are just building modified cars or street machines. what is or isnt a musclecar is infinitely debatable and we could argue that as well as specs until we are all blue in the face or wanting to cuss each other out. build away everyone :D

Dave

Theres a truck out in a field a few towns over that was in a magazine.

Its a 89' ford f-150 with a 427 super cobra jet, it has been lifted and all that other mudding type of stuff. I'd love to get that engine for a project, heck i probably would evn try shoving it in the 'vette!

back on topic

(we were building muscle cars remember? )

here is some progress on the hemi cuda

i slapped a coat of primer on the body as well as a superbird wing from the bottomless partsbox

i also decided on the rolling stock

IMG00033-20091205-1551.jpg

IMG00034-20091205-1552.jpg

the stance is no where near where i eventually want it to be , this is just a mock up to show the wheels

:D

i will be building 2 hoods for this build

one will be the track hood, a fiber glass version

this will be based on the stock shaker hood

i cut out the lip and filled it in with a piece of styrene

then i cut out a rather square hole for the carbs (on the track the car will be void of aircleaners)

as we speak the fiberglass resin is drying

this hood will be painted a flat black

the second hood is somewhere in the mail as we speak

this is a resin AARC hood

this hood will be build as my street hood

the stock AARC scoop will be cut of and raised by about 6 inches so to make room for the carbs and aircleaners

this hood will be painted a 2 tone of body colour (butterscotch) and the the scoop will be a flat black that matches the billboard.

as for interior i want to do a twotone black/tan

(mainly since i have black flocking but are sick and tired of slapping a coat of black paint on the tub and call it good)

any thoughts and suggestion (concerning the BUILD of this car) will be apreciated and taken into consideration

;)

back on topic

(we were building muscle cars remember? )

here is some progress on the hemi cuda

i slapped a coat of primer on the body as well as a superbird wing from the bottomless partsbox

i also decided on the rolling stock

the stance is no where near where i eventually want it to be , this is just a mock up to show the wheels

:D

i will be building 2 hoods for this build

one will be the track hood, a fiber glass version

this will be based on the stock shaker hood

i cut out the lip and filled it in with a piece of styrene

then i cut out a rather square hole for the carbs (on the track the car will be void of aircleaners)

as we speak the fiberglass resin is drying

this hood will be painted a flat black

the second hood is somewhere in the mail as we speak

this is a resin AARC hood

this hood will be build as my street hood

the stock AARC scoop will be cut of and raised by about 6 inches so to make room for the carbs and aircleaners

this hood will be painted a 2 tone of body colour (butterscotch) and the the scoop will be a flat black that matches the billboard.

as for interior i want to do a twotone black/tan

(mainly since i have black flocking but are sick and tired of slapping a coat of black paint on the tub and call it good)

any thoughts and suggestion (concerning the BUILD of this car) will be apreciated and taken into consideration

;)

Shucks Eelco we never left topic persay, just sorta steered into the other lane a bit, what color are you gonna do your cuda?

Some guys here are making this way too complicated.

Just read the rules and build something that fits those rules, that's it. There are so many muscle car kits available out there that fits these rules I can't believe you guys can't find one and feel the need to enter something else.

Even I was able to understand those simple rules... I really don't see the need to argue about what is and what is not a muscle car here.

Now let's build.

Mine's going a little backwards. I glued the engine together and then...washed off all the parts.

Weather right now is making much progress difficult as it's cold and rainy, so I can't really paint too much. Once the parts trees dry, I'm going to do at least some of the subassemblies, and perhaps a little painting, as the Tamyia semigloss black seems to cover fairly well and I have a bottle of acrylic primer that I can brush on (everything else is spray-can.)

I'm still also trying to decide on the color. I'm starting to like Cameo Ivory/Parchment with black more and more. I have the paints except the body color (right now, working capital is very tight,) and it'd be something a little different. I might also do Cameo Ivory with a red or blue interior (Model Master Chrysler Engine Blue is pretty close to GM blue interiors of the vintage.)

Charlie Larkin

Really cool Eelco, im diggin those wheels B)

Are those 8 singles on that manifold??

Pretty cool

I little update on my entry, i still dont have the kit(ebay) But i need help on the color.

Im either thinking one of two versions. Either one like i woulda built my elky into if i had kept it(same color, kinda like its all done except for the color and the wheels, which would look like this.....

l_a53e8c5ce7cb47a6927fde394c4b6948.jpg

Except it would probably be hoodless and have a huge engine inbetween the fenders(still havent chosen that, im thinking an ls1) and a sedan style camper.

The other would be a yellow beast, most likely slammed with huge slicks out back and skinny rail wheels up front, with a bed cover on it. and a hemi. B);)

im really leaning towards the replica of mine, but what do yall think?

nick, the colour will be either butterscotch or bahama yellow ;)

with black billboards B)

(there is a picture of one a few pages back)

Eelco i actually like where you are going with your 'cuda build ;) the Superbird wing is cool and so is the over-carbed Hemi. the other thing i like is that you are using the rarely seen aftermarket Spyder wheels which i really like, but aren't too popular.

when you say AARC hood i'm guessing that you are reffering to the AAR 'cuda hood? very cool hood but it's pretty flat, you most definitely will have to raise the center to clear those carbs. i think you are building a very cool modified musclecar, or one that i would consider to be a 70's era Street Machine, almost Street Freak styled.

Dave

the rims came in a firebird kit but i used the turbine wheels on that one ;)

i didnt think id would like them when i first looked at them but once i got those wide rear tires around them they started coming into place really nicely B)

as for the AARC hood, yes it is too low but this repro right here is my inspiration :lol:

CUDA-AAR-8INCH-HOOD.jpg

Really cool Eelco, im diggin those wheels :lol:

Are those 8 singles on that manifold??

Pretty cool

I little update on my entry, i still dont have the kit(ebay) But i need help on the color.

Im either thinking one of two versions. Either one like i woulda built my elky into if i had kept it(same color, kinda like its all done except for the color and the wheels, which would look like this.....

l_a53e8c5ce7cb47a6927fde394c4b6948.jpg

Except it would probably be hoodless and have a huge engine inbetween the fenders(still havent chosen that, im thinking an ls1) and a sedan style camper.

The other would be a yellow beast, most likely slammed with huge slicks out back and skinny rail wheels up front, with a bed cover on it. and a hemi. :DB)

im really leaning towards the replica of mine, but what do yall think?

that is the log manifold from a desoto firedome hemi on there

and yes, they have one carb per cylinder

(so far for my low carb diet)

i dont like the rail wheels but other then thet it sounds good

specially the hemi :D

Stock my car puts out around 220 h.p. at the rear wheels, and around 280 lbs. per foot of tourque.

With all those upgrades im looking for around 400 h.p. to the rears and around 480 lbs. per foot of tourque.

I cant wait to get a 100 shot of giggle juice ;)

Still wanna race?

Did i mention that my 'vette is considered slow among corvette enthusiasts :)

ill even keep my drag radials in the garage :D

Gah i love bench racing :)

Well you aint stock are ya ?? Go ahead and put the drag radials on there. I'll bring out the Duster instead. Hope you don't mind, but I'll stick with the bias drag slicks. :D

Never seen a Superbird wing on a 'cuda or Challenger...very cool! :)

So, who's gonna step up and represent for Oldsmobile and Buick in this build? :)

I was toying with doing a 4-4-2, but decided I wanted to get my Pontiac done.

If I still have time for this, I might do build #2.

I voted for a spring date, it'll give the weather a chance to become nice enough again to paint.

Charlie Larkin

Gee, I didn't mean to start something, just wanted to know if there was time o get in! :D

its all good man

i actually planned to ad a poll to it over the weekend

:)

I was toying with doing a 4-4-2, but decided I wanted to get my Pontiac done.

If I still have time for this, I might do build #2.

I voted for a spring date, it'll give the weather a chance to become nice enough again to paint.

Charlie Larkin

i guess spring dates would be good for those of us who cant paint indoors

i have a room i mainly use for storage

and in there i have a paintbooth i spray my models in :)

thats one of the reasons i opted for the earlier date

that and the kit im building is pretty basic ;)

So, who's gonna step up and represent for Oldsmobile and Buick in this build? :)

Hey, If its cool with the host of the build I will switch from the 64' Falcon I was planning on doing to a 64' Cutlass F-85. That will put at lesat one Oldsmobile in the build. The Olds is more of a muscle car than the Falcon anyway and one of my fav. cars. So what say Eelco can you switch my car to the 64' Olds F-85 ??? Sorry to be a pain. :)

Edited by Porky