Model Cars Magazine Forum

community muscle car build anyone ?

diymirage

if the B body 94-6 Impala is a muscle car that would mean the G8 and CTSV are muscle cars :P

for this build i used the rule of thumb that a muscle car is a domestic 2 door build around a massive engine between 1960 and 1980

THAT is the subject of this build and any other cars are NOT

i really dont care to waiste any more time on dicussing weather or not a family sedan is a muscle car or not

i have set a subject for us to build and whoever is willing to build within that frame is more then welcome and who ever wants to build something else is nore then welcome to do that too

i just ask that those dont spam THIS thread with arguments and pictures off all that is NOT the subject

ill allow the elky no problem

the kyle petty would be ok IF the origenal was a 2 door build between 1960 and 1980

ill ad the elky to the list for now :P

id love to see another superbee in here :lol:

added you to the list

Sweet thanks. Ill have to check on the kyle petty car(as to what the original was) and get back to you, i believe the original was a two door,theres not enough room for four doors, not unless all the doors were as big as teh back doors on a extended cab truck :D

They use the Corvette based LS engine. This would include 440 Magnum and 426 Hemi Plymouth Satellites and Coronets.

Hawthorne PD used Hemi powered Coronets and Satellites in the late 60s.

feel free to build any of those engines in a era correct 2 door

i KNOW you got some :P

You can add me to the list, I'll build the AMX. I was looking at the wheels/tires I got tonight, the Cragars I was thinking on using are too wide, so I might just use the wheels that comes with the kit, they are nice Hurst wheels. The kits tires are awful though, but I found other tires that fit. Redline tires would look great with these Hurst wheels. I also got a nice torque trust set with T/A's. I'm building this one as a nice street machine, mostly stock with a few add ons.

So here's the kit I'm using;

cd4fe26a73.jpg

The engine is completed. The nameplates on the body says 390, but I discovered that the engine in the kit is a 327. I want a 390, so I looked in the parts box and took all the parts I need to build something that looks like a 390. I used the kits 327 block and transmission and oil pan, chevy heads and intake manifold, ford valve covers and mopar exhaust manifolds,engine front cover and oil filter. The air cleaner is from the kit, used BMF on the lid and brush painted the red and blue. I also wired it. Here's what it looks like;

bc8011f89f.jpg

d073a21267.jpg

I've been reading this thread and have decided to do the following. :rolleyes:

I'm building an air plane so I'm going to add it to this build. It only has one door but it has losts of muscle so I'm adding it. :P

Ignorance can be bliss, but not so much for the people watching or listening to the blissful.

In this isntance the ignore button would work great for ya all.

Edited by Plastic Freak

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the community here and I'm having a great time looking at all of your builds!

I've had this '64 GTO for about 10 years now and this looks like the perfect opportunity for it. Can I join in?

I was thinking of stuffing a huge mill in it but I'm probably just gonna go with the tri-power 389, headers and slicks (60's weekend warrior style). :rolleyes:

100_2583.jpg

The goat would look sweet like that, you gonna go like it has skyjackers in the back?

Not real sure about it yet... I just saw this thread and picked this kit out of my stack in the basement. :) It'll probably have some rake to it but not too much.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with steel rims in the back and cragar s/s in the front. Going for that classic drag look. I think that'll look pretty sweet on it.

I want it to look like the owner drove it home from work a few hours prior and now it's ready to get on the trailer for some Friday night fun. ;)

Not real sure about it yet... I just saw this thread and picked this kit out of my stack in the basement. :) It'll probably have some rake to it but not too much.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with steel rims in the back and cragar s/s in the front. Going for that classic drag look. I think that'll look pretty sweet on it.

I want it to look like the owner drove it home from work a few hours prior and now it's ready to get on the trailer for some Friday night fun. ;)

cant go wrong with cragar SSs

why not put steel wheels all the way around and mail the cragars to me ?

at any rate,

welcome aboard en enjoy

Well, I have the block/heads/intake/front cover on my GTO done. I just need to go get some Pontiac Engine Blue. I'm leaning towards doing mine in Barrier Blue with a matching interior, but I haven't made a final decision.

Other possible colors include Palmetto Green/Bronze or Parchment, and Nightwatch Blue/Blue. I may also just do a nice simple Cameo Ivory/Parchment scheme.

Charlie Larkin

Well, I have the block/heads/intake/front cover on my GTO done. I just need to go get some Pontiac Engine Blue. I'm leaning towards doing mine in Barrier Blue with a matching interior, but I haven't made a final decision.

Other possible colors include Palmetto Green/Bronze or Parchment, and Nightwatch Blue/Blue. I may also just do a nice simple Cameo Ivory/Parchment scheme.

Charlie Larkin

are those all correct colours ?

im thinking of painting my hemi cuda butterscotch

im pretty sure they werent sold in that colour but if anyone complains ill just tell them its a charger on steroids :lol:

dont forget to keep updating those pics too

(ill post some tomorrow myself)

im pretty sure they werent sold in that colour but if anyone complains ill just tell them its a charger on steroids

They were sold in that color. Code L5. Butterscotch is Dodge's name for that color, Plymouth's name is Bahama Yellow.

Here's one;

2497728_4_full.jpg

are those all correct colours ?

im pretty sure they werent sold in that colour but if anyone complains ill just tell them its a charger on steroids :lol:

dont forget to keep updating those pics too

(ill post some tomorrow myself)

1966 Pontiac color samples.

Charlie Larkin

ok so i went to the LHS today after work. wouldn't you know it, just as i'm walking into the car model isle, some other guy is walking out of the isle with my model choice. ;)

so i peeped around a bit and located something else. it's a 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429. it's in the year range. it's a huge gas guzzling motor. it's got two doors. i'm not a ford fan, but what the hey!

Could you please update my entry?

thanks!

ok so i went to the LHS today after work. wouldn't you know it, just as i'm walking into the car model isle, some other guy is walking out of the isle with my model choice. :lol:

so i peeped around a bit and located something else. it's a 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429. it's in the year range. it's a huge gas guzzling motor. it's got two doors. i'm not a ford fan, but what the hey!

Could you please update my entry?

thanks!

too bad on your kit

was the person who bought it in on this build, maybe well still see it again ;)

there's a whole lot more musclecar in Eldestructo's '94 Impala then there is in a '77 Roadrunner. the no 4-doors rule is lame,

I have an original '76 Road Runner 360 auto. It's not a '77 but I'll run you and shut you down if your money is right. As a matter of fact, it'll put a vette on the trailer. And since you said 77, the 360 Little Red Express was the car (cough, it's a truck) of the year for two years running. It out runs vette's too. Muscle died in 80 when everything went FWD even though Mopar still made some stock 200 plus turbo 4's. And the 4 dr rule is not lame. No muscle car ever had 4 dr.s and a slow arse impala is not a muscle car that's for sure. Out ran too many of those things with a stock 318 single ex. Gran Fury. Even easier in my 360 4 spd Duster. Maybe it's just the driver in these cases. B)

100_0912.jpg

100_0913.jpg

dwc1110.jpg

Edited by dwc43

"they" didn't misspell anything. that is a picture of a 440 wedge powered 'cuda, not a 426 Hemi

stretching your build date to 1980 is interesting as the "musclecar" era was essentially well and over by the end of 1972. there were cars built into the mid-70's that still may be considered musclecars, but they in most all cases weren't muscular anymore in thier power, just appearances.

there's a whole lot more musclecar in Eldestructo's '94 Impala then there is in a '77 Roadrunner. the no 4-doors rule is lame, but it's your community build do what you want :lol:

Dave

lates take this one line at a time B)

when i said they misspelled hemi i was making the joke that that picture was of the car im building which (as i mentioned) runs a hemi

i stretched the era from 1960 to 1980 to have a nice broad frame to build in, i didnt want to limit this build to just 2 or 3 kits so i made it span 20 years.

if someone wanted to hopythetically enter a 1979 ford fairmont with a 427 in it i would welcome that openarmed because even though the ford fairmont is NOT a musclecar , a ford fairmont with a 427 in it IS

like you said before, some cars were only muscle cars in appearances and that is why i added the two door rule. 2 doors cars just allow for a more muscular desing and they stey closer to the idea of a musclecar because they are less intended for creature comfort or hauling families then 4 doors are (also, wiki had it as a criteria)

lastly, i did not come up with these rules to exclude anyone or to rub anyone the wrong way

i just have them to keep us all on the same page ;)