Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Very First Build

Fiction ix

Guest snapper

That's pretty mean looking. Your photo shoot idea with the wood and darkened background is great - it really makes for some nice shadows that highlight the build.

Pretty cool looking ride! :) Great job! Did you use brush paint for the silver undercoat and then spray candy blue? Or is it a metallic paint?

Candy colors can be a pain to apply, and everything shows thru. If you can spray both coats the look will be smoother in the end.

The Merc looks great for a first effort, wish my first models looked that good! Welcome to the club!! :lol:

Pretty cool looking ride! :D Great job! Did you use brush paint for the silver undercoat and then spray candy blue? Or is it a metallic paint?

Candy colors can be a pain to apply, and everything shows thru. If you can spray both coats the look will be smoother in the end.

The Merc looks great for a first effort, wish my first models looked that good! Welcome to the club!! :o

Thanks. Yea i really didnt know what i was doing when it came to painting the body of the car. I used a brush for it so i go streaks and some spots that are to thick. I didnt see any this forum until it was to late lol. I am hoping my next car will have a smoother job on the body paint. I now have got some testors spray paint and some primer also

Excellent first build.cool.gif Acres ahead of what most first tries look like. Smart choice of kit, too. The Revell '49 Merc is a real "shake 'n' bake" - just put paint and glue in the box, shake it thoroughly and out comes a completed model. Very few fit and finish issues and a great Old School custom look. I agree that the spotlighted car against the wood and dark background is a cool photo idea. I'll have to remember to steal it! smile.gifcool.giflaugh.gif

Kyle, If you want to go thru the process you can strip the paint pretty easily and repaint it. The tips and tricks section has some great how to's on stripping paint that doesn't involve sanding and won't hurt the plastic! I have done this a few times and it went pretty smooth. Testors can be expensive, you might want to try some of the cheapy spray paint from Walmart and Krylon that works well too. Duplicolor spray paint can be bought at auto parts stores and can match what you see rolling down the road as well! Remember this, you can apply Laquer over Enamel, but NOT Enamel over Laquer! (enamel will bead up on a laquer surface, I've done it! :blink: )

This forum has soooo many helping friends, do not be shy on asking questions! That is what we are all here for! We can't wait to see what you build next!! Welcome to the club! :D

Edited by charlzrocks

Pretty cool for your first build. Well now that you have some spray paint, build the car again. Glad to hear you are already learning from your mistakes.

Thankyou guys all for the input. Yea i may eventually try and strip it for a re paint. Also i am underway on my next model. I am doing a 55'Chevy . I hope to have some pictures up soon. Just trying to see how i can dress the motor up nice on this one!

Pretty good for a first time out, Kyle. You'll improve as you build more.

There are plenty of great people here and all over the Internet at independent boards, too. Look in the links section. I frequent The Modeler's Haven most often. Awesome builders and a great bunch of people.

Charlie Larkin

Guest snapper

Remember this, you can apply Laquer over Enamel, but NOT Enamel over Laquer! (enamel will bead up on a laquer surface,

Just to be on the safe side in case anyone tries this, but is it not:

- do not paint lacquer over enamel

- ok to paint enamel over lacquer ?

I could have it wrong, so I want to make sure too.

The Krylon is a little "iffy"? http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25886&st=0&p=248071&hl=lacquer%20enamel&fromsearch=1&#entry248071

Just to be on the safe side in case anyone tries this, but is it not:

- do not paint lacquer over enamel

- ok to paint enamel over lacquer ?

That's how I've always heard it but an even better rule is don't mix the two at all!

Edited by mr moto

Thanks. Yea i really didnt know what i was doing when it came to painting the body of the car. I used a brush for it so i go streaks and some spots that are to thick. I didnt see any this forum until it was to late lol. I am hoping my next car will have a smoother job on the body paint. I now have got some testors spray paint and some primer also

Well you got past the first hurdle..what some of us call gettin er done! :D as for painting ..Iv'e been doin' this off and on 40+ yrs. and I'm still never completely satisfied with my paint jobs!! B) ..but hang around here and you'll see some amazing work from these guys..and Like anything it's all about practice...in my case I wish I had a little more skill to go with it B) B)