Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Damage at Russo Steel Auctions

Yea I heard about this last night while watching Barrett Jackson. They were going on and on about it and said they might of had to stop the acution for the night, well it didn't happen to them but sucks to be the other auction company. They said one of the tents blew on the freeway, but if I were going to leave my car in a tent over night with a storm coming I think I would put up the top and roll up the windows.

No lawsuit there! They were only kept out until there was no chance of anything falling on anybody! I believe the authorities had something to do with that!

Heard Haggerty Ins. say they were stepping up and taking care of their customers!

Real shame the damage done! So much for claims of "never seen rain"! I know it's really not funny but if they couldn't laugh they would only cry.

I'm just glad that no one was seriously hurt!

I was thinking the same thing!

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing things :lol::)

Now that I think of it, makes me wonder about how good the restorations of some of those cars actually was vs how much was being asked for them:angry:

Edited by Joe Handley

That must've been a pretty nasty storm... One of the cars is one of eleven 1970 Hemi 'Cuda convertibles... and the windshield was laid back. A Sox and Martin car, couple of Superbirds, T/A's, and some exotics... Oh that was bad.

That cuda was the one that made me lose it when i watched that and those poor Shelbys................

you will find some sort of filler in easily 95% of all restored cars. it's just part of the body work stage and very common. how do you think you get a perfectly straight car or truck?

Dave

True that, Dave. "Bondo" is not the enemy, it's how it is used. As a skim coat, when applied correctly, it's not a problem.

I'm not 100% sure about todays cars, but I remember just a few decades ago, every car on the new car lot had some kind of filler on it... how do you think they (the assembly line) dealt with that seam between the roof and C pillar?

BTW, feel terrible for that Cuda convertible... with that windshield frame laid back. Add to that this damage has been "publicized", they cannot hide the history of that car from future transactions. One of eleven? What a shame.

As for the tent comments, large event tents have always been used for these events. Hindsight... it's always 20-20. It will be interesting how the automotive community react at future car auctions.

Perhaps its my aging eyes, but it certainly appears that good ole pink bondo was used in copious amounts on a few of those cars.

If I were a high end collector, I would certainly be leery now of purchasing anything at these auctions without first going over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb. I wonder how many of these spur of the moment buyers (phone, internet bidders) later regret their purchase.

Man, what a loss of cultural heritage.

But: I would not leave my car in a tent overnight, in winter, in Arizona. No, I wouldn't. I just wouldn't. Actually, I wouldn't leave my car in a tent overnight anywhere anywhen. I just wouldn't. Nope.