Model Cars Magazine Forum

Almost stock 41 willys...

Mad Slammer

that is TOO cool! i once saw what appeared to be a 49/50 merc ledsled, but somehow it looked different...turns out it was a volvo 122 (?) remodeled to look like a merc. you could look at it for a long time and not see that!

this reminds me of the same sort of thing. very cool and wish i had thought of it myself!

Thanks for the comments. Here are some more progress pics. It's going to be a Slammer, for a club challenge . . .

S7306676-vi.jpg

S7306679-vi.jpg

S7306680-vi.jpg

I put a strip of sytrene on the rear wheel arches to make the opening smaller.

This way the tires "tuck" nicely. . .

S7306689-vi.jpg

The strip on the rockers has a bit of an angle to follow the "rake". . .

S7306688-vi.jpg

And the front gets a small lip to really get it "in the weeds"

S7306687-vi.jpg

Hope you like it B)

I agree it looks a little awkward,but I can see several ways to rectify this. (1) chop the top. (2) raise the rear deck,starting at the rear of the cab about 1/4/3/16" and gradually bringing it down to the original trunk about 2/3 of the way down. (3) cutting at the base of the cab under the rear window,extending to about 3/4 inch behind the side windows and vertically behind side windows to the horizontal part of the top and pulling the rear window area back at the bottom,increasing the rake of the rear window,and blending it in with a gentle radius wher this piece meets the rear deck.This would require small tringular filler pieces behind the side windows,and a rectangular piece below the rear window.... (4) a pie slice of the body starting from about the rear door line and gradually increasing to about a 1/4 -3/8 " through the hood/nose (5)............a combo of all 4(GRIN) Of course,you could shorten it through the front fenders also,something like the old Bantams....OR leave it like it is,its still NEET !

I agree it looks a little awkward,but I can see several ways to rectify this. (1) chop the top. (2) raise the rear deck,starting at the rear of the cab about 1/4/3/16" and gradually bringing it down to the original trunk about 2/3 of the way down. (3) cutting at the base of the cab under the rear window,extending to about 3/4 inch behind the side windows and vertically behind side windows to the horizontal part of the top and pulling the rear window area back at the bottom,increasing the rake of the rear window,and blending it in with a gentle radius wher this piece meets the rear deck.This would require small tringular filler pieces behind the side windows,and a rectangular piece below the rear window.... (4) a pie slice of the body starting from about the rear door line and gradually increasing to about a 1/4 -3/8 " through the hood/nose (5)............a combo of all 4(GRIN) Of course,you could shorten it through the front fenders also,something like the old Bantams....OR leave it like it is,its still NEET !

Thanks Steve. . . B) This afternoon I took some Miliput and started blending the roof with the rear deck. This should help a bit. I was thinking about the top chop, but this project is due March 5th. and I don't have much time available to work on the models. . . So i guess I'll try it on another one later on. . . :)

• 5 months later...

Madslammer , heres a stock Wyllis Americar , for real . Probably the only one you will see too.

fillmeup.jpg

Ed Shaver

Hey Ed, Was there ever a stock version of the Willys available? Like you, I'd want to build one as close to stock as possible. I have looked atthe Thames panel too and wondered how difficult a stock ( or as close to stock as possible ) build would be. Bandit Resins has that little Morris Traveller - been thinking of scooping one of those for when I hone my skills a whole lot more. It would be an outrageously cute little fellow in stock form . red with the wood grain.. yeah.. I like it! Imagine if you will a Bedford tractor pulling an AMT car hauler full of those little guys... :PB)B)

Edited by impcon

• 5 years later...

Here's  where this thing is at as of last month... Had a couple of family issues, ended up relocating to my mom's house(as a request from my now ex-wifey) and have had very little time to dedicate to the hobby lately... so... If nothing goes wrong with the weather here,  i could be finishing this one for the oct. 4th show... the 12th Caribbean Scale Auto expo... here in Puerto rico... 

willys-shorty-2015.jpg

• 8 months later...

Well i finally got around to painting this thing... nothing fancy, just some duplicolor Hemi Orange engine enamel and a heavy clear coat... Now wait, i hope not as long as before... and sand/polish and final assembly... hope you guys like it...

13260280_10154278120179040_7251804352538

Edited by Mad Slammer