Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Twin turbo'd Camaro kit.

Guys, I just peeked in a box of old build ups from my uncle and found a 69 camaro with a twin turbo'd sbc. The turbos are small and perched up on the odd exhaust manifolds, ported right into a single 4 barrel. Where I have no doubt this set up would work, I have never seen a 1:1 car built in real life like this. And did the kit come with mismatched rims or is that my uncle being wierd? Any ideas?

That is the old Monogram 1/24 '69 Z/28 Camaro kit. I remember building that back in the '70s before Revell developed their series of '69 Camaros.

The wheels should match so it is possible that your Uncle did some swapping/kit bashing.

That kit is available today, check Tower Hobbies, Modelroundup, Hobby Lobby, LHS.

Mike

Guys, I just peeked in a box of old build ups from my uncle and found a 69 camaro with a twin turbo'd sbc. The turbos are small and perched up on the odd exhaust manifolds, ported right into a single 4 barrel. Where I have no doubt this set up would work, I have never seen a 1:1 car built in real life like this. And did the kit come with mismatched rims or is that my uncle being wierd? Any ideas?

The turbo set-up is typical of some carbed mechanically tuned turbo systems from up until computer control made tuning less of a carp shoot. There are two types of systems - a blow through and a draw-through. What is in the kit is a blow-through - the air is blown-through the carb.

The other set-up is a draw-through - the turbo draws the air-fuel mixture into the intake manifold.

Both make power and both work well with smaller turbos and the 70s and 80s low compression stock motors.

Yea - the kit stinks. But it started to learn about turbos when I opened that kit.

Edited by seeker589

The turbo set-up is typical of some carbed mechanically tuned turbo systems from up until computer control made tuning less of a carp shoot.

Carp shoot.

fish3.jpg

Seriously though, thanks for the info guys. I may have to find a home for that engine after some time in the purple pond.