Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ideas for underhood insulation??

Modlbldr

I think I used paper towel on this one, but I don't remember... I don't remember if I cut it before gluing it in, or if I glued it into the recesses and trimmed around it, but either way might work. I used white glue. If you find a method isn't working, you can wash off with water and try again. I painted it flat black after the glue dried. The underhood structure should be less glossy, but I only had flat and gloss black paint at the time...

66Elk13-vi.jpg

i have never tried this before but i remember seeing aluminized insulation under the hoods of several of my cars

i would say in order to replicate that you put down a little bit of a napkin and then put BMF over it (the napkin will give it the padded look)

if you are building a show car you can put the BMF on there without the napkin so it can look like the mirror foil you can buy for the purpose of showing the engine off

Detail Master marketed black 'underhood insulation' a while back, and I know I have it unused in my stash....If It's something you can use, Tom, I'll toss it in the package I'm already prepping to mail out to you.

Email me a nudge, and I'll look for it.

I use the wrap from cigarette packs (and I don't even smoke). Why? With a little bit of glue thickness and a heavy brushing of black paint, it looks very convincing. Also, by using a thin layer of glue and some thin washes of color, you can replicate the heat insulation type stuff. By using the Goldish colored version of the wrap, you can replicate heat-stained turbo wrapping/insulation. Also, you can use the wrap (cut to the appropriate size/shape and glued in) as backing to accurately replicate reflectors when placed behind a lens. Handy stuff this cigarette box foil wrapping.

This is a piece of fine grit sandpaper. It's not perfect, but at the time it's all I could come up with.

Received_23_11_2005230314-vi.jpg

I may try it again, but with some experimentation. Perhaps take a wire brush, and smack the sandpaper on the backside to give it some texture? It may work, or not.

I like the dryer sheet idea. I also would try a dark grey flock material.

It's threads like this that make this board so valuable.

I was thinking the dryer sheet idea as well but I remember painting one once and it didn't have much thickness or bulk. I would suggest a few layers of them glued tightly (less tightly for a more used car) and maybe that will add the bulk and a little thickness. I haven't done it yet but have lots of dryer sheets waiting...lol

I have heard of using TP, as well as masking tape painted black. I also know I have seen Flocking. Some of these other ideas are cool! I do not know pattern sizing on that black insulation from model cargarage, but it reminds me of the material you will find under most couches and chairs. If ya have a old one lying around? Maybe even find some in the craft section and buy a yard and use it for klike ever? I will have to check into this! Jody

All of those are great ideas (and photos) guys. I'll have to try the dryer sheet after trying the insulation Dave is sending. Thanks Dave.

Eric- That underhood looks nice and clean. I like it. Again, many great ideas.

I've used the Cigarette foil myself on the backside of a 90's Chevy stepside pickup. It works very well and adds a little more depth to the lens. If you haven't tried it, do so. I've also used it on a 60 Starliner dash in the area around the instruments.

Thanks again guys for all of the replies.

Later-

i have never tried this before but i remember seeing aluminized insulation under the hoods of several of my cars

i would say in order to replicate that you put down a little bit of a napkin and then put BMF over it (the napkin will give it the padded look)

if you are building a show car you can put the BMF on there without the napkin so it can look like the mirror foil you can buy for the purpose of showing the engine off

How about using some of that aluminum tape they put on a/c and heating duct work. It's really sticky, so you'll just need to trim it to fit, pull the paper backing off and pop it in place.

Anybody ever try BMF rubbed onto gaffers tape? Gaffers tape is a heavy weave cotton cloth like duct tape, but without the shiny smooth surface and less sticky adhesive on the back. When you stick the BMF to it and rub it in, the foil takes on a cross hatch texture similar to some underhood insulation.

Thom Asay

This is a piece of fine grit sandpaper. It's not perfect, but at the time it's all I could come up with.

Received_23_11_2005230314-vi.jpg

I may try it again, but with some experimentation. Perhaps take a wire brush, and smack the sandpaper on the backside to give it some texture? It may work, or not.

I like the dryer sheet idea. I also would try a dark grey flock material.

It's threads like this that make this board so valuable.

i totally agree

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the results of what I used. Not sure how accurate it looks, but I liked it.

DSCN3657.jpg

DSCN3658.jpg

It was a thin spongy sheet almost like those spongy dryer sheets. A friend from Colorado sent it to me. I am writing him a letter to find out what it is. I know that I have seen it before but can't remember where. It was a cream/tan color. I first trimmed a piece of paper to the shape I needed, and used blue painter's tape to tape the paper to the material. Then I trimmed the material to the same shape as the paper with scissors. Then I sprayed the trimmed material with flat black and waited for it to dry. Next, only because I had not done the proper putty work under the hood and was afraid that the material would conform to the poor body work, I glued the paper/tape pattern piece into place under the hood and brush painted it flat black so that the blue tape wouldn't show through the thin material. (you shouldn't need to do these two steps. I'm just stupid.)

Once the paint was all dry I glued the material in place under the hood with Elmer's glue gel. Presto- underhood insulation.

All of the ideas so far have sounded good and I plan to try a few. As soon as I hear from my friend as to what this spongy material is I'll post it here.

Later-