Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Jim Clark Lotus 49

curt raitz

This kit started as an eBay (gluebomb) purchase for $29.00.

All that was missing was a brake caliper, which I made a resin cast of, so no problem there.

The windscreen was cracked, so vacuum formed a replacement. I fabricated mesh screens for the injector tubes from brass screen.

I decided to build the #21 car Jim Clark drove to a 6th Place finish in the Belgian GP in 1967 (had an aftermarket decal sheet with this version and it did not require any changes to the windscreen)

The Tamiya kits of this era came with electric motors and required batteries. I did not install the electric motor or batteries...but did epoxy a few lead fishing weights to give some weight to the car so the suspension would move.

I forgot what a nightmare the suspension is to build on this model, extremely fragile just like the real cars...everything is glued solid!

Enjoy...

Lotus49_003-vi.jpg

Lotus49_005-vi.jpg

Lotus49_006-vi.jpg

Lotus49_008-vi.jpg

Lotus49_010-vi.jpg

Lotus49_011-vi.jpg

Lotus49_015-vi.jpg

Lotus49_018-vi.jpg

Lotus49_016-vi.jpg

Lotus49_002-vi.jpg

thanx for lookin'...

Curt

Another in a long line of great builds. Do you have any "Preressurection" shots?

Ed

No "Preressurection" shots, I just dug in and started building

sometimes it feels good to build just thinkin' of the build instead of thinkin' about takin' pictures of it while i'm doin' it, if ya know what i mean...

No "Preressurection" shots, I just dug in and started building

sometimes it feels good to build just thinkin' of the build instead of thinkin' about takin' pictures of it while i'm doin' it, if ya know what i mean...

Yep, I understand. BTW - it's time to modify your sig. ' cause there's one less on your todo list!

Ed

Another GREAT build, my old friend!! You must have a pretty large collection of those old 1:12th scale beasts sitting on the shelves these days...

Later,

Thanx Buddy...yeah I've got two of'em built, might try and get the Ferrari 312 T4 done by years end.

Just too big and nice lookin' to part with, plus trying to ship these things after selling them on eBay is just to risky

Yep, I understand. BTW - it's time to modify your sig. ' cause there's one less on your todo list!

Ed

Thanx

fixed my signature...but this is all the program will allow me to enter,

not as user friendly as before...can't even stick a Groucho Marx quote on the signature.

Nice job, Curt! My great aunt had a jewerly store back in St. Thomas (USVI) and sold high-end diecasts of some of these old, open-wheeled formula cars (this was back in the early to mid 70s. She would give them to me and since I was only interested in playing with them, well...they aren't around any longer. If only I knew what I had back then...