Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Chevelle -AMT

sak

Bought this at a yard sale for only a few dollars, planned to just use the body shell for airbrush practice but have now decided to build this entirely. Wasn't impressed with it as it has issues. The ends of the stabilzer bars are cast into the inner fenders and just seem to fade out from there and the frame is hollow and leave a visible groove that can be seen on the inside of the car. Crude steering rod assembly. Also the firewall forms part of the floorpan as well, leaving a gap that will have to be puttied up before any flocking is done. But I made new stabilizer bar ends and filled the groove in the floorpans and made a little less crude steering assembly that looks better to my eyes anyway.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/post-2559-12678516811459_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I can match the pictures up with these words. I hollowed out the exhaust tips. That thing in front is what is supposed to pass as the steering. Also no steering gear in this kit. Big pet peeve.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/post-2559-1267851835225_thumb.jpg

The steering wheel that I found in a junk box. looks like a grant classic spoke so I will use it. Could not find the belt so I made a pulley for the alternator and will make a belt from some thin styrene.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/post-2559-12678519833954_thumb.jpg

The firewall was atrocious with almost no detail whatsover, so I will use one from a cutlass, looks close enough for me, and also I oppened the opening in the front bumper and the gauge cluster in the dash. I never have luck detailing chevlle dashboards because of the strange shape so I cut out the gauges and will print out gauges I made in paintshop and glue that to a peice of styrene and put that behind the dash. I plan to open the front grille up too, just trying to concieve a way to fabrictae a grille.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/post-2559-12678522994524_thumb.jpg

A picture of the steering. The kit has poseable wheels so the tie rod ends rest on pins cast into the lower control arms. I removed them and made new ones and attached them to the spindle where they should be. I took the steering from my junk box(from a skylark I think) and I made tie rods. Not perfect but once its painted, it will look better. Also glued on a flange so the idler arm has a place to attach to. I will add the steering gear from the cutlass, just have to shim it so it fits right.

Thats all for now, comments, criticism is always welcome.

Thnaks

Jeff

Edited by sak

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Small update. Installed the "carpet". And finished the dash/ steering colunm. But I have trouble with the shape of these chevelles dashboards. Soon the interior can be assembled. And the body hopefully be primed this weekend.

Edited by sak

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update, Got the shell painted, need to add more clearcoat and polish it still. Worried about how this is going to go together. Both the frame and the shell were badly warped and I straightened best I could. And I noticed that the interior parcal tray does not meet the shell so no way to secure it there. Very awfull design in this kit. But hopefully I can begin foiling it this month.

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

Jeff

These are the slotted wheels I took from a monogram bel air. And the grille, still have to glue the verticle bars onto it. And put on a new liscense plate decal.

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

Edited by sak

• 2 months later...

Hello there friend! Reminds me of the funny commercial of the guys swimming in caramel!! Excellent build up fella and the color choice is top notch! The gen 1 chevelles are the coolest lookin bowties and my favorite! Keep on wit the keepin on fella!!

peace

Tito

• 1 month later...

Amost finished. Just need to do some touchups. First time I used epoxy type glue and the stuff got everywhere even though I used gloves when I touched the tube or anything around it when I mixed it.Theres epoxy glue fingerprints everywhere that I had to polish down to become less noticeable. Also when the shell, interior and chassis were joined, the geometry of the front fenders changed and the front bumper then did not fit as it did before. I had to fight with it and rubbed some of the alclad off the edges. So I must touch that up too.The hood does not fit right anymore as well so I have to find a way to shave some off the sides without chipping pieces of paint off. I don't have anymore of that color so this scares me. I made one big mistake because the wheels are 1:24 scale and might look a little too big. Bah.

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

Edited by sak