Model Cars Magazine Forum

Job Announcement

Please see the job description below. You can also view it on the main Hobbico website, www.hobbico.com, or the Revell website, www.revell.com. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at hr@hobbico.com.

Product Development Manager

You have a passion for building replica plastic model kits, so you know the name Revell — the most respected maker of plastic model cars, ships, planes and more for over 60 years. A division of Hobbico, Inc., Revell now has an incredible opportunity for you: Turn your favorite hobby into a rewarding career! Join the Revell team...and wake up each morning excited about the important role you play in sharing the plastic model hobby with the world!

As Product Development Manager:

• Oversee development of plastic model kit products.

• Develop product plans including product objectives, pricing strategies and launch plans

• Analyze market and industry trends to identify profitable growth strategies and product development opportunities.

• Establish relationships with vendors to globally source and develop product.

• Manage product delivery schedules and timelines.

• Ensure the accuracy and presentation of packaging and promotional materials.

The successful candidate will possess:

• A Bachelors’ Degree in Business Administration or related field.

• 10+ years experience in the consumer product development area.

• A passion for and at least 5 years of hands-on experience building and collecting scale plastic models and die-cast products.

• Historic and present day knowledge of automobiles, aircraft, and ships.

• Up-to-date subject matter expertise on the latest trends in the military and automotive industries, including the racing circuit. Familiarity with related industry publications, trade magazines, and the use of internet chat rooms and blogs.

• Strong team orientation, communication, project management, creative and analytical skills.

• A proven record working with various types of licensors as well as experience in box art design and the creation of instruction manuals.

• Working knowledge and understanding of product design, the product engineering process associated with design, and tools for injection molds.

Revell offers:

• Challenging positions

• Opportunity for career advancement

• An Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) that allows employees to share in the benefits of improved company performance and growth in value

Qualified candidates should submit a resume and salary history by e-mail to hr@hobbico.com. All submissions will be considered confidential. No relocation provided.

Well, I shouldn't even bother . I had a year and a half of college . Still , I have been the photographer for two books , written one , and owned two sucessful business. I'm still active in two national car clubs as a tech advisor . The simple fact of the Bacelors degree wil always prevent me from getting such a position . Ed Shaver B)

Guest Johnny

Well, I shouldn't even bother . I had a year and a half of college . Still , I have been the photographer for two books , written one , and owned two sucessful business. I'm still active in two national car clubs as a tech advisor . The simple fact of the Bacelors degree wil always prevent me from getting such a position . Ed Shaver B)

Have you looked into continuing education Ed?

Seriously they now use life experience in leu of credit hours towards a degree! My mom got a gegree (can't remember what) recently from SIU with onlt a couple classes and her life experience added to her year and a half of college she took in the late 50's early 60's!

My wife, Marcia, went to the University of South Florida to get her Masters Degree in Library Science. She graduated 2 years ago when she was 58. She was working a full time job at the same time. Age is not an excuse, Ed.

And who is Ed Sexton?

Edited by crazyjim

My wife, Marcia, went to the University of South Florida to get her Masters Degree in Library Science. She graduated 2 years ago when she was 58. She was working a full time job at the same time. Age is not an excuse, Ed.

And who is Ed Sexton?

Ed is the guy that brought out the '57 Chevy Black Widow and all the latest kits youv'e seen released lately. All were in the pipeline when he left two years ago. He was at Revell for years.

Richard Shouse

RCS Motorsport Models of Texas

And who is Ed Sexton?

I myself have suffered age discrimination in my job search. I went in for a interview with gray hair and a beard, barely got spoken to for 10 minutes. 3 months later, the same job came up, this time I had my hair and beard colored, they did not remember me, I got in, had a 45 minute interview with the manager. It happens, it happens.

Guest Johnny

John, considering the fact that I'm sixty and all. I can't justify the expenditure . Look Hobbyco wants somebody young , not an over the hill fart like me ...... Ed Shaver

Ed my friend you are never over the hill until you are under the hill! :lol:

But I do hear you on the cost!

Well, I shouldn't even bother . I had a year and a half of college . Still , I have been the photographer for two books , written one , and owned two sucessful business. I'm still active in two national car clubs as a tech advisor . The simple fact of the Bacelors degree wil always prevent me from getting such a position . Ed Shaver :lol:

thats a whole year more then what i have :lol:

John, considering the fact that I'm sixty and all. I can't justify the expenditure . Look Hobbyco wants somebody young , not an over the hill fart like me ...... Ed Shaver

yeah, they must want someone in thier twenties like....the only reason i know dodge ever made a 1968 charger is because revell made a model of it

i wonder if age might not be a plus when it comes to a company that replicates cars from the glory days before catalytic converters and my conception :P

Sounds like a cool job for sure .. Maybe even a dream job... hmmmm. Can't say I have all of the qualifications, but that's going to be a hard person to find in any one individual.

Whoever said that the person needs to focus on the future of the hobby and not reviving the past is so right.

Sure would be nice to get younger people interested. I am convinced its not video games and all that other electronic stuff either. It's fast food mentality...everyone wants stuff fast and does not want to have to work at it. How many of you pop popcorn on the stove anymore ? hahha.... very few. It makes better popcorn...but its a not quick.

Ramble ramble

I wish whoever lands this job all the best. If I lived in the area I'd probably apply :D

Yeah but cars are their bread and butter.

They cannot compete, or have been able to with the hard core Armor and Airplane guys on any sort of meaningful level.

Those guys tend to be just a little more picky about the kits they buy and build.

RM tried to break in a little bit with some higher quality DML kits but a lot of people didn't know what they were or the ones who did had a pile of original DML kits.

So that didn't go over that well.

There was a time when they did reasonable quality Airplane kits: the PBY, JU-52, and HE-111. However, those bigger twin-engines and tri-engine kits are just a little harder get the numbers on no matter what the quality is. I know it's also very hard to say let's build another ME-109 or FW-190 with so many fantastic kits out there already. So what do you do?

Armor is worse, there are fewer armor builders and almosts nobody can compete with DML/Cyber hobby with their new line of kits at their price point. I mean look at the Tiger, super detailed inside and out, casted metal parts, PE, chains, even a litte metal bucket with a $50 - $60 price point. I can't even remember the last time Tamiya released a new armor kit in 1/35th scale. Tamiya has been hammering 48th pretty well though.

And now they are starting to dabble in micro RC, but they are not even in the running with the hottest thing going: mini and micro helis.

I am not saying they can't do it, but they have their work cut out for them to capture any of those other markets.

You end up being either GM or Porsche. You either do one thing really, really well and perfect it, or you do a whole bunch of fair things.

Everybody knows what happened to GM. Porsche was one of the most profitable with cash on hand car manufacturers in the world - until they too, became stupid and tired to buy VW, which was a huge mistake and Porsche ended up being bought up by VW.

Finding the balance is the magic - the black arts, and with anything you have to be at the right place, at the right time, with the right product, with the right marketing. There is no formula for that; all you can do is stack the odds in your favor and try to hit the marks before the other guy does. Following the other guy you just cut your odds in half.

I suspect it's going to be someone heavy on paper and light on substance like typical corp. America: all the credentials but couldn't make a good decision if their life depended on it.

Edited by CAL