Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford LTL 9000 Custom with Livestock Trailer

Owwww !!!!!! The best, fastest truck I ever drove was an '88 Pete 379 with a 400 big cam cum-a-part &13 speed .

I got a ticket for 88 in a 65 coming home from sugar town after I dropped 6 gears.

LOL, hey matt dont bust the cummins to hard, we had a 350 big cam in our 76 359 that made 565 to the ground. i cant say how fast it was cause it pegged the speedo. had a heck of a time with the heads move n roound on the block, ( we threw 42 lbs a boost in her, that was a contributing factor..lol) i like the 60 series in the ford , but a buzzin dozen would be neater...Hee hee

Scott

Can't say as I've ever seen an Alpine Green Series 60. The ones I've seen are a blue-grey, and I've found Tamiya Medium Blue XF-18 to be pretty close (maybe a touch too dark). Here's a real Series 60 from the Detroit Diesel Website.

Yeah Jim, I have that pic somewhere, too. The only thing I don't understand is to me that pic looks to dark compared to the Series 60s I had in my trucks. Most were about the same color as this pic of a 8V-71 or maybe even a shade lighter.

Detroit3_8V71_right_s.jpg

Either way, there's a Detroit dealer not far from me, and I'm planning on getting the paint there. :lol:

Owwww !!!!!! The best, fastest truck I ever drove was an '88 Pete 379 with a 400 big cam cum-a-part &13 speed .

I got a ticket for 88 in a 65 coming home from sugar town after I dropped 6 gears.

LOL, hey matt dont bust the cummins to hard, we had a 350 big cam in our 76 359 that made 565 to the ground. i cant say how fast it was cause it pegged the speedo. had a heck of a time with the heads move n roound on the block, ( we threw 42 lbs a boost in her, that was a contributing factor..lol) i like the 60 series in the ford , but a buzzin dozen would be neater...Hee hee

Scott

The funny thing is, the fastest truck I drove had neither a Detroit or a Cummins, it had a Kitty Kat!! I got nailed for almost 100 miles an hour with that old Freightshaker, it had a 3406 with a 13 behind it! :D

By the way, I agree with the 12, but I don't have any! :lol:

Yeah Jim, I have that pic somewhere, too. The only thing I don't understand is to me that pic looks to dark compared to the Series 60s I had in my trucks. Most were about the same color as this pic of a 8V-71 or maybe even a shade lighter.

Detroit3_8V71_right_s.jpg

Either way, there's a Detroit dealer not far from me, and I'm planning on getting the paint there. :lol:

Either way, I suppose it doesn't really matter since this is a custom truck. You could paint it to match the cab it you really felt like it.

Can't say as I've ever seen an Alpine Green Series 60. The ones I've seen are a blue-grey, and I've found Tamiya Medium Blue XF-18 to be pretty close (maybe a touch too dark). Here's a real Series 60 from the Detroit Diesel Website.

Matt,

Here is the DD Series 60 engine, (Italeri) that is in my Freightliner FLD SD. The paint was acquired from a local Detroit service center. Decals are from myself, available at Sourkraut's....Hope this may help you, Kurt

The chrome shown, was done in Alclad

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

DSC00910.jpg

Edited by Turbo590

Either way, I suppose it doesn't really matter since this is a custom truck. You could paint it to match the cab it you really felt like it.

HMMMM, I never thought of that possibility, thanks Jim. B)

You know, I've watched this build for quite a few moths now, when I was just looking around as a guest.

All I can say is- WOW!

You my friend, have made a new definition the term for "big rig"!

Thanks Andy. B)

Hey, is the moose bar painted with the Krylon "Origianl Chrome" paint? I want to know, because I can't afford an airbrush and Alclad :lol: So basically, Hillbilly Chrome is my last resort :D

Thanks, Andy

No, Andy, the moose bar is Rustoluem Black and the tubes are aluminum tubing.

I understand where you seen the "Original Chrome", because that is what the trailer was painted in. One tip of advice, don't get the "Original Chrome" or any Krylon paints, I have never had luck with them. I don't know what happened, but the original older can I had here sprayed fine, but I ran out and had to buy a new can of the chrome at Michael's, and it still fingerprints after months of being sprayed.

If you need "Hillbilly Chrome", I suggest going to your local auto parts store and getting a can of Duplicolor Chrome. I used it on the fenders on the tractor, even though they are a little hard to see in this pic.

HPIM2891.jpg

It seems to me to have a better "chrome" look to it, and is much more durable to handling that Krylon.

I got just one, JUST ONE, question about the Duplicolor chrome. :lol:

Does it recquire a black undercoat? I'm getting wheels from Dencon Resin and they're in black resin.

Thanks, Andy

No Andy, the Duplicolor on the fenders, which are resin from P&P Resin Works by the way, is sprayed right over gray primer. I will give you one tip, make sure you use something like Wesltys Bleache White (I think that's the name of it) or dishwashing liquid on the resin first to make sure you clean the mold release agents of it first. I forgot this when spraying these and the frame mounted tool boxes, I got lucky with the fenders, but the primer on the boxes ran because I didn't wash them first.

Thank you for the answer!

I've heard to soak it in Bleach-White. I thought that stuff was expensive though :huh: I'll stick with the good old dishwashing soap! B)

No problem, Andy, I like helping out whenever I can. You might check Walmart, I haven't bought any Bleach-White yet, but they do have it in the automotive section.

I really am speechless now.... : :P

Yep, Justin, my next planned custom sleeper will be a 230 inch bunk, from my research the largest custom sleeper available today. Here's a couple of pics of how I'm planning the sleeper to look like, even though I'm not sure whether it will be on a Kenworth or not.

ICTCustom230inchsleeper.jpg

335783999_o.jpg

Justin, I think that the first one is a 180 inch, just like the one on the Ford, if I remember correctly when I found that truck. The biggest thing I found I don't like not only of that one, but the KW I posted earlier, I don't like the space between the cab and fifth wheel. It's just my personal taste, but I always liked to have the trailer line up with the front quarter fenders and at least enough space between the cab and trailer to walk between.

That second one just blows my mind, kinda interesting. :P

I've always liked the high dollar car haulers, too, they always seem to have a nice truck. B)

• 1 month later...

Are you going to have a really nice interior for the sleeper or just leave it simple?

I guess it depends on if you are going to cut the top off of the sleeper to see in there.

No, Justin, I'm not putting an interior in this one, the sleeper is glued and Bondoed shut. The next big custom in the brain will though, since I learned not to modify the kit sleeper anymore! :D

• 2 months later...

Wow, it's been a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time since I updated this, but I've been busy with other things, including trying to get back to school for degrees in computer repair, programming, and also computer forensics. Yes, forensics as in CSI stuff! Maybe I can learn how to find out who hacked one of my email accounts back in January and put them in jail! ;) That has been one of the issues behind finally deciding to go back to school, since it took my friend who built my computer a week to get it restarted after the email hack, just because some stupid idiot (insert my name for "some stupid idiot" :P ) accidentally opened the link in the email which contained a virus while trying to figure out who all the hacker's email went out to!

Anyway, over the past few months taking what little time I've had to sit down at the desk and work on this, I did manage to get the interior finished, well until I was looking through another kit for a nice CB radio to put in it and I found something else in the particular kit that reminded me of something I seen in a custom truck I was talking to the driver of just a couple days before. Here is the now almost finished interior, since I still haven't found a nice looking CB yet, with the "something else" mocked in. :P

HPIM3005.jpg

HPIM3006.jpg

If you all like the look, that will be the new shifter!

I also got some of the little bits detail painted on the frame, and have the mounts for Porky's wonderful rear fenders in place. I made the mounts from aluminum tubing, and there are two pieces to each, a smaller piece of aluminum tubing holds the mounts to the frame and larger diameter tubing will be attached to the fenders so they can be removed if necessary.

HPIM3008.jpg

HPIM3007.jpg

HPIM3009.jpg

I also picked these up at the craft store, I think they will look good for chicken lights on the trailer and maybe the bumper, too. They are 5mm, and scale out to about a 4 inch diameter round light.

HPIM3012.jpg

More to come, and hopefully I can steadly work on this again since spring is finally warming things up so I can spray paint again! And maybe this won't fall back all the way to page 6, either!!! :P:lol::lol:

I split this LOOOOOOONG awaited update into two posts, because I wanted to post some new mockup pics, too! I also have done some BMF work to the cab, I have to have my shiny stuff ;) and mocked up my monster stacks, which scale out to 8 inches in diameter, if I remember correctly.

HPIM3002.jpg

They are K&S stainless steel tubing, but I'm afraid I may have to change to aluminum tubing. I didn't relize how hard the stainless would be to cut! :P The aluminum would also be easier for me to make turnouts at the top of the stacks with, because I just really have never been a fan of miter cut stacks. The stainless may stay, but I'll have to shorten them up still and cut the miter again, because I goofed one up trying to deburr it. :P Here's a mockup with them at about the height I want with the wheels on.

HPIM3014.jpg

This one is with the wheels off, but the trailer in the background. This is how I want it to look while looking from the front with the trailer on it.

HPIM3004.jpg

Finally, a few mockups with the stacks off and a few with the stacks mocked in place.

HPIM3010.jpg

HPIM3011.jpg

HPIM3013.jpg

The fifth wheel is itchen to pull something!!! :P:lol:

HPIM3015.jpg