Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford LTL 9000 Custom with Livestock Trailer

Make your own Matthew.

Thanks Winston, I was thinking that, too. ACME platemaker is one of my favorite sites! :D

I'm glad everyone likes the "Wide Turn" sign, that actually came about from another builder in the CBP this is in making that comment, and I found a site where you can make your own safety signs, and you see how my mind works at about 3AM! :lol:

Hey, where's the freakin' trailer? LOL. Did ya get 'er done? :blink:

Let's see 'er! :P

B)

You know, Bessie Lou and Bessie Sue were just talking about that! :lol:

HPIM2888.jpg

They are waiting impatiently for their ride to have the finishing touches added so they can start their trip to California tomorrow!

As for those finishing touches, I'm in a mad thrash to get this done, at least in it's race form, for the end of the Cannonball Run themed CBP it's in on that other site that comes to an end tomorrow. I know some of you got on my case because I wouldn't tell you the super secret power plant because lurkers from that site who post here too would find out. Well, wait no more, because I have officially announced it, and anyone paying attention in my Truck CBP here already had a sneak peak to the answer! :lol: OK, for those who didn't see the announcement already, the powerplant for this is, drumroll please, an

ALLISON V12 AIRCRAFT ENGINE!!!

I'll have some pics of it in a little while! B)

An Allison V12? You're definately planning on making your deliveries on time! You'll definately need all those fuel tanks. On the other hand, I suppose you could have put a Rolls Royce Merlin engine from a P-51 in it.

And what, sacrifice a couple hundred horsepower??? :blink::P:P;) Highway, will your driveline tolerate that kind of horsepower for that long or do you anticipate puking a rear end somewhere this side of the Wasatch??? B)

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite builds simply because it's the last thing one would expect to see when someone mentions the words "Race Truck"!!! I can hear this beast now, roaring, all spooled up and running against the governor... passing my snail-like carapice at something approaching the speed of ouch! LUDICROUS SPEED, HIGHWAY, NOW!!!! "My God... They've gone plaid!!!" :blink:B) Hope to heaven your transporting beeves... If they're dairy cattle, you'll arrive at your destination with a trailer load of furry milkshakes...

An Allison V12? You're definately planning on making your deliveries on time! You'll definately need all those fuel tanks. On the other hand, I suppose you could have put a Rolls Royce Merlin engine from a P-51 in it!

Oh yeah, I figure 200 MPH should be no problem, so I should have no reasons for being late! B) The Allison was not actually my first choice, I was going to try to stuff a Detroit V16 from the Payhauler in it, but it was WAY to big! B) Then a few of my friends decided to join the build, and they ended up getting the Allisons, and just happened to get an extra one for me. Here's what they were thinking of entering, unforunately they were both unable to complete theirs.

This was one of them,

DCAM6672-1.jpg

and the other, which between the three of us came up with the wild idea of putting two Allisons in the sleeper!

DCAM6685.jpg

Mine is mild compared to theirs, but at least mine can be converted back to a road truck with a normal engine after the race! :P

And what, sacrifice a couple hundred horsepower??? :blink::P:blink:;) Highway, will your driveline tolerate that kind of horsepower for that long or do you anticipate puking a rear end somewhere this side of the Wasatch??? B)

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite builds simply because it's the last thing one would expect to see when someone mentions the words "Race Truck"!!! I can hear this beast now, roaring, all spooled up and running against the governor... passing my snail-like carapice at something approaching the speed of ouch! LUDICROUS SPEED, HIGHWAY, NOW!!!! "My God... They've gone plaid!!!" :blink:B) Hope to heaven your transporting beeves... If they're dairy cattle, you'll arrive at your destination with a trailer load of furry milkshakes...

I hope the rears hold out, I had them specially built to handle the power! I'm glad you're having fun watching this, but you should see the ideas when I really start sniffing the glue! :P

Oh, and they are dairy cows, because the whole plan of me and my friends with the rides I posted earlier was to have the goodies for the after race party! ;) I was going to carry the milkshakes, the friend with the green truck was hauling a reefer full of hamburgers and such along with fine adult beverages, and the one building the KW was going to haul the BBQ grill on the deck of his lowboy! :blink:

Well, this has got to be the hardest post I've had to make in this thread, but a relieving one too. I just officially withdrew from the CBP on the other site. B) I have a major fit issue with the Allison, and with the build ending tomorrow (well, later this evening now), I just don't have the time to heavily modify the cab mounts and floor to make it fit.

HPIM2889.jpg

HPIM2890.jpg

The cows are not happy with me either, they were really looking forward to mooooving to California! ;) Bessie Lou is very upset, because it means she has to get back out of the trailer!

HPIM2892.jpg

If you look close, you can almost see the tear in Bessie Lou's eye! :P

HPIM2891.jpg

Well, I guess this might just be a first in the history of model forums, has anyone started a rebuild before the first WIP was even complete!?!? B) Now I just have to dig up a Series 60 Detroit for under the hood, or maybe an old Detroit V8 or V12! At least now I can put all the shiny stuff on I wanted and also be able to wait for warm weather for some of my resin bits to be sprayed with Alclad. :P

Edited by highway

Well, this has got to be the hardest post I've had to make in this thread, but a relieving one too. I just officially withdrew from the CBP on the other site. :( I have a major fit issue with the Allison, and with the build ending tomorrow (well, later this evening now), I just don't have the time to heavily modify the cab mounts and floor to make it fit.

HPIM2889.jpg

HPIM2890.jpg

The cows are not happy with me either, they were really looking forward to mooooving to California! :blink: Bessie Lou is very upset, because it means she has to get back out of the trailer!

HPIM2892.jpg

If you look close, you can almost see the tear in Bessie Lou's eye! :rolleyes:

HPIM2891.jpg

Well, I guess this might just be a first in the history of model forums, has anyone started a rebuild before the first WIP was even complete!?!? :unsure: Now I just have to dig up a Series 60 Detroit for under the hood, or maybe an old Detroit V8 or V12! At least now I can put all the shiny stuff on I wanted and also be able to wait for warm weather for some of my resin bits to be sprayed with Alclad. :lol:

Allison,,, I've had the same idea for some time now just never got too it. Looks good. I need to get off the back side get going. gtg

I just don't have the time to heavily modify the cab mounts and floor to make it fit.

Do you have room to move the cab & sleeper back on the frame to clear the Allison and maybe just extend the hood ?

I don't know how hard it would be but it would be an alternative to hacking up the cab & frame.

Hang on.When looking at the pic of the engine to me it looks like if you lowered it and moved it behind the front axle it might fit.I know you can tell better than us just looking at a photo.How about a mid engine,stuff it betwwen the tanks under the bunk.If your gonna be going 200 you'll need a low center of gravity.If these opyions work,fill the hood up with high teck equipment to keep track of smokie. :lol:

Allison,,, I've had the same idea for some time now just never got too it. Looks good. I need to get off the back side get going. gtg

I'll give you one tip, Clayton, make sure you build the truck around the engine! :)

Do you have room to move the cab & sleeper back on the frame to clear the Allison and maybe just extend the hood ?

I don't know how hard it would be but it would be an alternative to hacking up the cab & frame.

That is a good idea, but for the CBP it's in, it just is not a possibility, Winston. The CBP is ending tonight and I just don't have the time, not to mention the snow is flying here and painting is off until spring! :lol:

Hang on.When looking at the pic of the engine to me it looks like if you lowered it and moved it behind the front axle it might fit.I know you can tell better than us just looking at a photo.How about a mid engine,stuff it betwwen the tanks under the bunk.If your gonna be going 200 you'll need a low center of gravity.If these opyions work,fill the hood up with high teck equipment to keep track of smokie. :D

Thanks for another great idea, Kevin. I was even thinking of just finishing the body goodies and saying the engine was in the sleeper, but I just can't lie like that! :lol: I was thinking of moving it back, because the front engine mount is sitting on the the bottom of the frame rail where I wanted it to sit, and without the carbs on the front, the rear of the valve covers did fit under the cab because it allowed the rear of the engine to clear the cab mounts. I just tried the only other open frame area, which is under the cab, and there just is not enough room between the cab mounts and first frame crossmember to fit. If it were earlier in the build I could have had the engine double as some of the stiffening crossmembers I added in the frame!

Thanks to both of you for the great ideas, but just not enough time left. Oh well, I wanted a regular truck engine in it anyway, the Allison was going to be removed after the CBP anyway! :lol:

Also, is that website on the computer in the 4th picture the "other model forum" you have been referring to? I see truckman1981's mack superliner tanker on the front page.

Actually Justin, that is this forum in the pic, I just wanted to show the Scale Auto people the best forum on the web is where I spend most of my time! :lol:

The reason it might look different from yours is I have my view set to "Comfy". You can change the look of the forum here to suit you, if you look in the bottom left corner of any page, you will see a box that, in your case, says "IP Board", and it's right next to the box that says "English". If you click on the arrow next to where it says "IP Board", it will give you a drop down menu of the skins available. If you select the "Comfy" skin, yours will look just like what I have on my laptop. :lol:

hey matt even though your not gonna make the "cannon ball run" this biuld is still a HUGE success. :lol:

dennis

AWW geez, thanks Dennis! :lol: Even though the build might be over today, this build won't be! I'm already thinking of ideas for a normal engine, and at least I don't have a deadline now, so I can add all the extras I wasn't going to have time for! :lol:

I built this International 4300. More pics in another part of the forum.The sleeper top removes to show the shower,kitchen,and gun (for bad neighborhoods) LOL!On the back is a "Custom" made decal that says "Rollin' into Texas with the hammer down". from the Steve Earle song "Guitar Town".Has two fuel tanks 250 gal per side.

BigSleeperInternational003-2.jpg

BigSleeperAPU005.jpg

BigSleeperInternational001-2.jpg

BigSleeperinternationalJosie002.jpg

This decal had to be redone since this pic was taken.

DianesdollBigRigdecal69ford005.jpg

Been a trucker all my life,as you can see below.

CherryHillOrchards001.jpg

I'll give you one tip, Clayton, make sure you build the truck around the engine! :lol:

Thanks for the tip.In that case I may have a time with it,I'm thinking of using a old build from 2 or 3 years ago.

Were did that come from? do know there was a kit last year but missed out. Some one made a post a few weeks ago about a resin caster and he has one on his site but can't remember who it was.Did save it but just can not think of the name,I'm thinking it was a Fotki site??? from a list of about 30 or site kinda hard too.

Were did that come from? do know there was a kit last year but missed out.

Clayton, you are exactly right, that Allison is the same as the engine pack kits from AMT from around a year or so ago. There have been a few different issues of it, and I've seen them on ebay now and then. The kit this was in was from around the late 90s and had "Compitition Parts Pack" on the box.

Well, after a week of thinking (well more like sulky and being overly depressed ;) ) about not completing this for the other site's community build, and staring at it almost every waking hour since it's way to big to fit back in the box, I started working on it again. There is finally something under the hood!

HPIM2900.jpg

No, it's not the kit engine either, I just couldn't stand the thought of a Cummins under the hood of this beast. I'm sorry, I just don't like Cummins engines, the only good one I ever drove was a 444 Big Cam (I think) that was in a 1974 White Western Star wrecker I drove that could probably pull your house off its foundation! OK, enough gabbing, here's the new engine, which just happens to be from an Italeri Peterbilt kit, a Detroit Series 60.

HPIM2901.jpg

I have to do a little front engine mount modification, but the rear mounts fit perfectly, and the small doghouse in the firewall looks like it was made for this engine. I just have to find some Alpine Green and wait for the snow to leave town and spring to come so I can spray it!

I just couldn't stand the thought of a Cummins under the hood of this beast. I'm sorry, I just don't like Cummins engines

Owwww !!!!!! The best, fastest truck I ever drove was an '88 Pete 379 with a 400 big cam cum-a-part &13 speed .

I got a ticket for 88 in a 65 coming home from sugar town after I dropped 6 gears.