Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford LTL 9000 Custom with Livestock Trailer

• 2 weeks later...

I have a small update and need some help as well. I have the bumper's final shape finished, but I want your opinion on color. Should I keep it black or should I chrome it? Here's what it looks like black with a few of the cross bars in place.

HPIM2860.jpg

HPIM2861.jpg

Wow! That thing's gonna need a parade permit just to drive down the street!

It's gonna need to be registered with the harbor authority if ya drive near the seashore!

It'll have to set up a homeowners association if anybody stays in the sleeper!

Did I mention ... wow that thing's big and long!!!!

:D:)

Thanks so far guys. :( Here are the pics you guys asked for, I mocked it up with the tanks in place and most all of the other pieces that will be shiny bits. Now use your imagination guys, the two rear sets of tanks are hanging level with the others, the roof wing, fenders, and frame toolboxes are are covered in aluminum or chrome! :(

HPIM2862.jpg

Here is a closer shot from the front.

HPIM2863.jpg

Wow! That thing's gonna need a parade permit just to drive down the street!

It's gonna need to be registered with the harbor authority if ya drive near the seashore!

It'll have to set up a homeowners association if anybody stays in the sleeper!

Did I mention ... wow that thing's big and long!!!!

<_<:(

:( The permits are in the mail! <_<

Edited by highway

I have to say black looks good, can't wait to see it done. And you had better stay on Rommel's good side, hiss wrecker is the only thing big enough to move your rig, if it breaks down.laugh.gif

Thanks Chris, and everyone else that helped with the choice! I even asked the better half last night what she thought (even though she thought the idea of a roo bar was dumb when I first wanted to do it :lol: ) and she even thought it looked nice black, so black is what it will stay. It probably won't be warm enough here for me to spray any Alclad till spring, anyway! :lol:

Yeah, I better stay on Rommel's good side, too. Until I get a few of my wrecker ideas built, I got to call him! Maybe he will at least give me a break on the tow price! :lol::lol:

With all that fuel you could do a NY to LA run without stopping for diesel! :blink:

Wait a minit, ya a gonna need an overweight permit for fuel. B)

That's the point, Winston! :lol: Actually just as long as I can get from Chicago to LA that's all that matters! :lol: This a part of a community build on that "other" magazine's not so great forum, and the subject is a Cannonball Run on Route 66 from Chicago to LA. Oh, and I'm not worrying about an overweight permit for the added fuel load, because I'd like to see the DOT keep up with this truck! :lol:

Anyway, I'm just sitting here listening to some of my all time favorite trucking songs like the "Movin On" theme and "Roll On 18 Wheeler" among many others and waiting for some paint to dry, so I figured I'd give everyone a little status report. I haven't been doing much more than detail painting and some BMF work, and most of that has been on the interior, which is 99.9% done. That little 0.1% is the turn signal mount that I seen to keep forgetting about! :lol: It's all that needs finished, other than the CB, which I haven't figured out where I want yet.

I did start painting the signal mount, and waiting for the red I added for the hazard flasher switch to dry.

HPIM2873.jpg

I also have to find a straight pin so I can make a trailer brake arm.

I also heated the shifter from the kit to rotate the top around to sit more realistically, and added a bit of red to the range switch to make it look like a 13 speed shifter.

HPIM2872.jpg

HPIM2871.jpg

I finished up the rest of the pieces with some BMF, I like my shiny stuff! :lol:

HPIM2868.jpg

Finally, I also played around with the mural on the computer last night and got it to the final size. It is printed on regular paper for now, and I didn't want to stick it down with tape because I didn't want to goof up the paint, but this will give you an idea of the final look.

HPIM2870.jpg

Well, back to work on it, I have to have it finished by Dec. 1! And you know what that means, too, right? The super secret engine will be reveiled later THIS WEEK! :o

EDIT: By the way, I forgot to mention the red dome light on the roof! I gotta have mood lighting, too! :lol:

Edited by highway

Thanks guys, I haven't had much time to get more finished on it yet, with the exception of some chrome paint on the fenders, which actually turned out very nice. No pics of them yet, but I'm hope to have some more in the next day or two. The deadline for the build got pushed to Dec. 5, so I have a few extra days! I was starting to wonder if I'd get it finished or not!

Oh, and Scott, thanks for the idea, now I have to find another one of these kits!! B) Since my 1:1 dually is named "Lil' Red", I could build another monster like this and call it "Big Red" and have the model of the 1:1 dually with it!!

Matt,

Since you're pulling a livestock trailer you could assign the smaller fuel tank to be water ,mount a mini pump to the tank and a water hose hook up to attach to the trailer this would be to mist the animals when you are running through hot areas. B)

Leo

I like that idea Leo. I already had the plans of the back two tanks being for water storage for the sleeper, why not share it with the cargo, too! :( I have to keep that in mind when I do a slight rebuild of this after the CBP, because there will be a few details I want added to this I just don't have time to build before the end of the CBP.

Matt,

Since you're pulling a livestock trailer you could assign the smaller fuel tank to be water ,mount a mini pump to the tank and a water hose hook up to attach to the trailer this would be to mist the animals when you are running through hot areas. B)

Leo

and finally one for a septic tank you could paint that brown for identification purposes. :(

Edited by Semi Trailer Mechanic

and finally one for a septic tank you could paint that brown for identification purposes. :lol:

I already thought of that, too! Well, except the brown part! The two rear tanks are for water storage, one for clean and one for "dirty". :lol:

Holy COW that's a long truck!!! Get it? Cow,.........cause it's gonna have a cow trailer. Hence the "cow" in "holy cow". because it hauls.......cows. :lol:

It's funny you mention that, Ben. The license plate I was thinking of using from a Revell issued Aeromax came with this plate. I blew it up some so it would be a little easier to read.

RevellItaleriFordAeromax.jpg

Of course, I made this for the back of the trailer. :lol:

guest20100316035338WIDEASHELL1.jpg