Model Cars Magazine Forum

'03-'04 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Conversion or Parts?

Does anyone offer a conversion kit or the individual parts needed to convert the Revell '99 Mustang Cobra kit into an '03-'04 Mach 1?

I'm not that up on the newer Mach 1s, but the shaker scoop looks awfully close to the '69 or '70 version. I think I can use the Revell Boss Mustang snap tite kit's front fascia (thinned a bit) for the front lip spoiler, so that leaves the decals, Magnum 500-like 17" wheels, hood, and rear spoiler as the main parts to find or scratchbuild. I can modify the seats without much trouble.

Is the Revell '99 Cobra the only '99-'04 New Edge Mustang kit in 1/25th scale?

Revell's only new edge Mustang is unfortunately the '99 Cobra, the Mustang that even Ford would like to forget forever.

I'd love to see a GT, Mach I conversions...but so far, nobody offers them. Seems the resin industry doesn't acknowledge new edge Mustangs...'05 and newer, yes. But after that..zero, zip, nada.

Wonder why the aftermarket and/or Revell has ignored the new edge Mustangs? Seems like the Mach I, GT & Bullitt would seriously spike sales of the very unloved '99 Cobra.

Considering the extreme popularity of the 03-04 Cobras and the Bullitt New edges, it is a valid question as to why Revell doesn't revamp their 99 Cobra into one of these, or why AMT hasn't updated their excellent 94-95GT kit to modern specs. I myself would like a New Edge Bullitt or Mach 1 in scale, let alone the 'Terminator'.

I'm not sure what's so "unloved" about the '99 Cobra, unless you're referring to the lack of resin parts for the kits to convert them to other cars... I see 1:1s on the road occasionally, and they're always in good shape, taken care of. A good friend of mine has one, and I plan on building his with the kit I have.

I agree, an 03-04 Cobra, 01 Bullitt (hey, Revell has the McQueen estate on board now), 03-04 Mach 1, 00 Cobra R, and any 99-04 GT would be welcomed additions to the modeling world.

Interesting thing about the box art car is that it has GT wheels, but the box sides show the correct Cobra wheels that are also included in the kit.

Ford lost their shirt on that car. They didn't have the beans under the hood Ford claimed...there was a recall to Extrude-Hone the intake and some other things to get them up to snuff. It was an embarrassment, and financial disaster. The "Terminator" 'charged cars rescued the image so well this is largely forgotten. I too would love to see a 2003/4 Cobra kit. Mach 1? Not so much. That was a lame effort, IMHO. A runout model to snare a few buyers before the 2005 car, nothing more.

Were these problems fixed by the time the 01 Cobras came along?

I'm not sure what's so "unloved" about the '99 Cobra, unless you're referring to the lack of resin parts for the kits to convert them to other cars... I see 1:1s on the road occasionally, and they're always in good shape, taken care of. A good friend of mine has one, and I plan on building his with the kit I have.

I agree, an 03-04 Cobra, 01 Bullitt (hey, Revell has the McQueen estate on board now), 03-04 Mach 1, 00 Cobra R, and any 99-04 GT would be welcomed additions to the modeling world.

Interesting thing about the box art car is that it has GT wheels, but the box sides show the correct Cobra wheels that are also included in the kit.

Seen a few myself. One that I liked the best was a Mean as all get out blacked out one. Didn't have a Cameraphone then tho. Most recent was this 03 in for an oil change. Guy was claiming near 500 HP All I could see was aftermarket exhaust so figure he seen we liked the car and was just posin a bit. But I dunno what if anything internal was done so can't say for sure.

0110101533-00.jpg

The kit has had me puzzled a bit too Like ya say GT Style wheels Realized that when I was considering a set for my 01. Another thing that got me was I thought it odd it didn't have a Spoiler, but upon study of the box I find it has a small little thing back there. Didn't think it was for another few years till the got the ducktail lookin one ?? I do belive this kit came around about the same time as the real car so it's possible we're looking at an early design on the box. Doesn't really matter to me tho I didn't get it to build a Cobra lol as yall said It's the only game in the New Edge style and I want a model of my 01 V6 lol

It's quite possible that 03 is pushing 500 hp... Exhaust, a chip or programmer, blower and crank pulleys for more boost... They're impressive cars. It's also quite possible the owner padded his numbers to impress you... Who knows?

The 99 Cobra kit does have a wing. The early New Edge wings were moved farther forward on the trunk lid than the later, but I'm not sure what year they changed them. The ducktail wing was only on the 03-04 Cobras. The kit also has the correct Cobra wheels- it's just the box art that's wrong. From what I've looked at, it's a fairly accurate kit, and even has clear tallight lenses so you can accurately paint the amber turn signals that made those tails 99-Cobra-only pieces.

For making a V6, you're off to a decent start, since the 99 Cobra only says "Mustang" on the rear bumper cover, and has a similar hood to the V6 cars.

Edited by Eric Stone

Yes, 2000 or 2001+ V6 cars had the same rear bumper cover and hood as the 99 Cobra. The tails are specific to 99 Cobra only (and are pricey today because of it). So the car was down on power from advertised....Ford screwed up but put it right, and it is still a nice car today. Also the first Cobra to recieve the Independant Rear Suspension (which the kit accurately reproduces) and the kit wheels are correct. Also, the kit has TWO intake set-ups in the box......the 96-98 style and the 99 style intake, plus the valve covers and coils for the earlier motor and later motor. To me, that makes the kit worth it, as I can now build the C.O.P version for the car, and use the coil packs to 'update' an earlier Ford to later ignition with minimal scratchbuilding involved.

Eric Like I say I dunno the car very well so couldn't say for sure

Believe the Spoiler in the kit is 99 2000 think 01 was when they changed the spoiler Doesn't matter I took the Spoiler off my 01

Haven't really looked at the motor in my 99 kit Already modded the kit Chassis to accept a 3.8.

Gonna have to Correct you guys on one thing The 99 Cobra kit doesn't have the same hood as a 2000, 2001 v6. I believe it was 03 they went to the hood like the 99 Cobra kit gonna take the same work to do the hood as it will grafting the 94 GT lowers to the cobra nose and making a V6 grille.

Gonna have to Correct you guys on one thing The 99 Cobra kit doesn't have the same hood as a 2000, 2001 v6. I believe it was 03 they went to the hood like the 99 Cobra kit gonna take the same work to do the hood as it will grafting the 94 GT lowers to the cobra nose and making a V6 grille.

Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure so that's why I said 'similar hood'. :) Since I posted that, I've been seeing quite a few V6's on the road with their own V6 hood, not the 99 Cobra hood...

• 4 weeks later...

No big It happens woulda been easier had my mother waited a year or 2 to buy the car lol. I think GTs had that hood too Some with the Scoop some without

The hood scoop went on the car in 01 as did the rear spoiler change, the rear of the 99 cobra kit might have to be modified for your car a little(dont really remember) I think it has the cut out for the dual exhaust, the V6 rear doesn't have any cutouts(as you know).The power problems for the 99 Cobra was due to a problem with the manifold that sparked a recall and the power problem was fixed .I would also love to see a conversion kit so I could make a copy of my 1:1 2000 Mustang GT.I would also love t osee a conversion kit to make the 03-04 Cobra, great car can make 400 plus HP with just a exhaust change and a tune close to 500HP with a pulley change on the supercharger- there are a few Cobras in my Mustang Club that make Dyno proven 600 plus horsepower with easy mods on them

• 10 years later...

I had a real 2004 Mach1 (torch red) and sold it and now have a 2003 Cobra coupe (red fire) and the answer for a model is sadly the same.  After 1999 it seem like Revell/monogram lost interest in Mustangs for 2000-2004 just when two of the coolest new edge Mustangs came out.  The 2005’s were pretty boring (personal opinion) and not until 2007 when there was a Shelby did they look cool again.  Wish I had better news but I’m sure someone has stratchbuilt some early 2000’s Mustangs but I have never seen any resin parts or a body or anything.  There are 1/18 diecasts but that is about it.

384346A4-6257-4948-A4E6-DF0CE37DCC32.jpeg

B2B6E9EA-038E-43AA-B6BC-609DB6777CA3.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

We have a Bump of the Week trophy winner. 🏆 Come on down, Chris! 

Looking back, I'm not sure what I liked so much about the New Edge Mustang based on the SN-95(?) platform...that high arcing hood with the shaker style scoop added to it isn't helping anything.

On 3/21/2010 at 5:30 PM, whale392 said:

I myself would like a ...  Bullitt ...

Even without the car, I'd love to see a set of those  17 inch 5 spoke wheels in scale. They look good on almost anything. 

Edited by mk11