Model Cars Magazine Forum

Poll........ To divide the 'General' into 2 parts

NON-MODELING chatter ?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Make 'General' just MODEL related

Personally, i'm NOT interested in NON-modeling topics here at MODEL CARS MAGAZINE, so i'm wondering if the membership at large would like to see a change and add a 'Non modeling' area for general chatter etc.

Stuff like "I like vanilla ice cream' and 'How do you scoop your dog mess' can go in the non-modeling section and 'General' can return to MODEL CARS.

What you say ?

I would say its ok to make an off topic side and I Strongly disagree with the idea of deleting off topic ideas. It may not be about models but it has allowed us a way to have general conversations with others here and that has lead to friendships and a way to keep ourselves entertained while paint dries. I know that some don't want to read it so don't click on a thread. I personally like that teenages all the way up to guys beyond retired can sit and bs here and I see many people doing it. I'd ask to at least make the second section. Thanks

Hey put me in David's catagory, I beleive very strongly in free speech and I have no problem allowing differing opinion as I own a non Model related forum . Personally I like some drama from time to time as long as I can shut it off when I'm tired of it . Ed Shaver ;)

Isn't "General" already pretty self-explanatory? "General" topics.

I don't see any reason to divide "General" into "General Model Stuff" and "General General Stuff."

If anyone doesn't want to read anything in this section, or is bothered by non-model specific topics, why are they looking through the "General" category in the first place???

It's like the people who watch sex and violence on TV all day and then complain about all the sex and violence they see on TV.

If someone is offended by or uninterested in "general" stuff, the solution is very simple: don't read it!

I voted yes, the off topic stuff creeps in anyway so might as well give it a home, then the people who don't want to read it don't have to see it.

With the vague titles of many posts, "just don't read it" isn't as easy as it sounds. I've opened posts I'm not interested in multiple times because I forget its something I'm not interested in until I open it again.

While you're at it I'd also like to see rants and raves split up, leave rants & raves as is but add another forum for Tantrums. :angry:

Doesn't matter to me; I read this board in the "View New Content" mode and I choose what to open or not from the list of threads there. I'm not compelled to open anything that doesn't interest me. I do enjoy the trainwrecks from time to time due to the entertainment factor. Anyone else notice that when a trainwreck thread gets locked or deleted, that new content in general (including the "good" stuff), seems to diminish for awhile?

People have a habit of hijacking model or 1:1 threads with O/T stuff that often ends up divisive enough on its own. Making a new section won't change anything. There are plenty of nooks and crannies here as it is. If one were to add a section for general chit-chat, it would likely encourage certain people to post forbidden content.

I must've spent too much time typing away at my opinion on this matter... when I went to post my reply (the first time) it was lost to the internet :angry:

Anyway, in short ~ I feel the "general" area is already a good place to post non related modeling discussions. There's no need to create another one... we all know this is a site for modeling, if there's something here that doesn't interest you simply don't read it ~ move on to the next thread B) There will always be drama, many times I have found myself reading a thread only to see it ruined by another member talking "smack" about the builder, completely ignoring their work on the model ~ I guess some people can't help themselves.

If you insist on creating another area for general discussion, you should call it "DRAMA" But that won't stop some people from posting in other categories. If it was that easy to avoid certain issues, you might as well create one for "politics" too :huh: But some things you just can't get away from... sadly.

Well, when I browse the "General" category, I know what I expect to find is "general" topics relating to model cars, i.e., topics that do not fit comfortably within any of the other subcategories here on the forum. And, in all fairness, it should be noted that that is usually what I find.

I should also point that my definition of "model-related" is pretty broad. For example, I have no problem at all with the "What kind of music do you listen to while building?" threads and the like.

Finally, I have to wonder why this is even still an issue. Harry, I seem to recall you conducted a survey a few months back in which the members voted "No O/T stuff" by a pretty resounding margin. Am I correct?

I don't think there's any modeling topic that can't fit comfortably into one of the sub-sections of the forum... there's a place for virtually everything... so the "General" forum is for "general" topics, IMO.

Yeah, it was decided that the blatantly political and/or religious posts had no place here... I think we all pretty much agree on that. And that sort of posting has virtually disappeared here. But personally, I like the kind of "off topic" stuff like the current thread about vintage bicycles and things like that. Sure, it's not exactly model-car related, but I find it interesting and entertaining.

My opinion: It's a better forum if we include a little off-topic content in a designated area (the General section) than if we were to be strict and not allow any topics that are not 100% model car (like the infamous "other" forum that so many of us left because of the overbearing admin style). This way we keep the people who like a little non-model car stuff happy, while shielding those like yourself :angry: who don't want anything other than 100% model cars 100% of the time. If you don't want anything off-topic, you just don't go into the "General" area. Simple.

As long as we keep the off-topic stuff confined to a well-defined are, I don't see how anyone who doesn't like the off topic stuff can complain. Just don't go there!

And as long as we behave ourselves and not post anything truly offensive, we'll all be happy.

Sure makes sense to me.

But if I do that, I miss out on the "General" stuff that IS model-related, so that's obviously not a perfect solution ... so, yeah, perhaps dividing the "General" section into modeling and non-modeling isn't such a bad idea after all.

My concern is that opening the door even a little to O/T posting will result in this place becoming like a certain other forum I referenced earlier ... so polluted with flotsam and jetsam that has no place whatsoever on a model car forum that you practically need a machete to hack through it in order to reach the stuff that IS model-related. True, it is easier to avoid the O/T junk here, so, perhaps relegating it to a designated area would be the best way to contain its growth and keep it from spreading like a fungus into the other areas of the forum.

Can I change my vote? :D

What I'm saying is, there's no need to post model-related stuff in the "General" section at all because there are already specific categories to accomodate any model-related posts. Let's leave the "General" area to "general" topics, then we'll all know what's where, and depending on our own personal tastes, which area to avoid (or check out! :lol:)

What specific model-related topic wouldn't fit into one of the specific forum areas? None that I can think of. We already have a display area, an in-progress area, a kit review area, a place for trading, a "wanted" section, etc. What possible model car-related topic can you think of that wouldn't fit somewhere on the forum besides the "general" area?

What specific model-related topic wouldn't fit into one of the specific forum areas? None that I can think of. We already have a display area, an in-progress area, a kit review area, a place for trading, a "wanted" section, etc. What possible model car-related topic can you think of that wouldn't fit somewhere on the forum besides the "general" area?

Well, there's a thriving thread called "What did you get today?" in the General section. It's a model car related topic, and I don't see any place that it fits besides the general section.

So, there. :D

Well ... since you asked, I did a quick scan of the topics on the first page of the "general" area and did see any that I would consider natural fits in other areas of the forum. Not one.

Chuck mentioned the "What Did You Get Today?" thread ... that's an obvious one. Someone else posted a pic of all the kits he's purchased this month. Ditto. There were several posts from people asking questions ... like why do 5 oz. Dupli-Color cans seem to be disappearing, does anyone made a '71 Roadrunner conversion kit, something regarding the newly reissued Revell Ford F-250 kit, etc? Where would you put those if not in "general?"

Honestly, I wasn't aware the idea of making the "General" section off-limits to model-related posts was what was in play here ... that, IMO, is a flat-out horrible idea, and creating a new, designated O/T "general" section would be the MUCH lesser of two evils.

If I may digress slightly, here, too, I supposed what discussions like this ultimately come back to me are: 1. My frustration over the fact that there cannot seem to be one lousy spot in the entire World Wide Web devoted to the discussion of model cars and nothing BUT that; and 2. My lack of ability to understand why so many people feel the need to come to model car message boards and post messages on everything but the subject at hand, and why that type of thing is not only allowed, but, in some cases, encouraged. I just don't get it. Never have and probably never will.

Harry, you mentioned the discussion of vintage bicycles here, and, if I may, I'd like to to use that example to illustrate the point I'm trying to make : While I have never personally been to one, I feel quite comfortable in stating that there are Internet discussion forums devoted to the subjects of bicycles and cycling in general.

The question is ... do you think that anyone has EVER gone on one of them and posted stuff model cars?

Somehow, I doubt it, because that would just be, well, more than a little weird. And, if someone did try it, don't you think the moderator would step in and let them know (politely, of course) that a cycling board was really not the place for that sort of thing?

So, again, I ask ... why is that those standards do not seem to apply where model car boards are concerned? :lol:

You win, too. :D

We can go one of 3 ways:

A. No off-topic posts, period (let's call this the Ken solution)... :lol:

B. Create a specific area only for off topic posts.

C. Limit any off-topic posts to a designated area (General Topics).

Solution A accommodates one certain group of members and alienates another group.

Solution B (which I think is what Pat is driving at) is unnecessary, IMO, as we already have a spot for "other" posts (General Topics).

Solution C accommodates everyone. Or in other words, leave things as they are!

My 2¢, for what it's worth.

But I'll be happy to go with whatever the majority wants.

Yeah, I think that's what I meant.

Let's PLEASE use 'General' for non-modeling, and PLEASE use the specific categories for the modeling that is applicable.

I think I worded things wrong originally now that I see responses.

"I like ice cream" SHOULD be a 'General' topic......I just hate to see decent MODELING topics get buried in 'General'.

MAYBE moving 'General' to a lower category will represent the MODELING categories better and guys will use them rather than the catch-all 'General' ??

I know.......I'm just hoping the non-modeling will eventually go away........as the 'thug drama' has.

It's not MY Forum. I'm just trying to help the flow of communication. IF it were mine, i'd be deleting NON-MODELING.

As stated previously by someone, perhaps even by yourself, OTHER Forums either have a 'Off Topic Chatter' and/or NO off topic stuff at all.

As a moderator I will NOT avoid if we get an 'Off Topic' tab/section, but the option for the masses to do so is a nice option.

But the problem, Pat, is, as Chuck and I pointed out, and as Harry concurred, there are a lot of good modeling topics that do not really fit anywhere other than "general."

Well, there's a thriving thread called "What did you get today?" in the General section. It's a model car related topic, and I don't see any place that it fits besides the general section.

So, there. B)

Yeah, I gotta say I don't get that whole "What did you get today" deal. It's like asking "what did you have for lunch today?"

And yet the thread goes on for 80+ pages! Beats me what the point is of telling each other what model we got today. :blink:

But notice: I have never complained about the fact that it's there. I have no interest in that thread... to me, which model so-and-so got today is about as relevant as who bought a new pair of shoes today...so what I do is... pay attention, everyone... I don't click on that topic! :P

I've found that this specialized technique of "ignoring whatever I have no interest in" works amazingly well for me. I'm just sayin... ;)

Are you sure you're not thinking of the "Rants and Raves" section during the time when it was OK to post political manifestos there?

Yeah, maybe that's it. I thought we used to have an actual "Off Topic" area.... maybe not. Either way, it got messy. Very entertaining...but messy.