Model Cars Magazine Forum

Extra Fine Sandpaper 2000 grit and Finer

GaryM

I'm looking to try and find some extra fine sanding paper, the finest I can find is 2000 grit and that is at believe it or not at WallyWorld. Know I know that 12,000 grit is available, but where to find it?????

THANX, Gary

I've found that Tamiya Coarse compound will take Tamiya TS-series finish from 2000 grit (dull but no paint texture) to a very nice polish. For higher gloss, follow through with Tamiya Fine and Tamiya finish.

There is a Rockler store nearby, they're a woodworker's supply store...they carry separate sheets of Micromesh, they're nearly double the size of the pieces we get in the "hobby" kits. Since I use 2400/3200 the most, that's what I've gotten to replace the sheets that get worn out. They also carry 1500 which you can't get with Micromark. I rarely use anything over 4000 grit, so it is nice knowing I have a local source for the sheets I do use, since the hobby shops can't be trusted around here to carry anything useful.

One thing to remember though, if you want to use the 12,000 grit paper, you have to make sure to gradually use previous grits successively, in other words, if you start with the 4000, you have to use the 6000 next, then the 8000 until reaching the last one. Your 12,000 grit will not handle the job without the help of these others.

One thing to remember though, if you want to use the 12,000 grit paper, you have to make sure to gradually use previous grits successively, in other words, if you start with the 4000, you have to use the 6000 next, then the 8000 until reaching the last one. Your 12,000 grit will not handle the job without the help of these others.

i 2nd this answer.

i also rinse off the cars between sanding levels.

oh and make sure to use water to keep the paper wet, the end result is spectacular!

Wow Pete! They seem like a really good resource. thanks for posting this link. :o

Peter

Glad to share. While you are at that site check out their polishing sticks. I by them 50 at a time to get a good price. They are exceptional because they are coated with mircomesh abrasive.

There is a Rockler store nearby, they're a woodworker's supply store...they carry separate sheets of Micromesh, they're nearly double the size of the pieces we get in the "hobby" kits. Since I use 2400/3200 the most, that's what I've gotten to replace the sheets that get worn out. They also carry 1500 which you can't get with Micromark. I rarely use anything over 4000 grit, so it is nice knowing I have a local source for the sheets I do use, since the hobby shops can't be trusted around here to carry anything useful.

In Canada the same product is available at Lee Valley stores. Lots of other goodies for the model builder there, too.

i 2nd this answer.

i also rinse off the cars between sanding levels.

oh and make sure to use water to keep the paper wet, the end result is spectacular!

I add a drop(yes just one drop) of dish washing detergent. I also use a bucket of water so I can dip the part frequently. The detergent breaks the surface tension of the water and lets it rinse cleaner. The wet model and abrasive prevents any bits getting on the abrasive and making deeper scratches in the plastic. This is especially important if you are doing clear parts.