Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have a little proposition for you guys

Ok, I am going to float an idea out here and see what you guys think about it. I realize that this is very risky and some of you may think I am crazy to even suggest it, but here goes.

I think many of you know that I am rather bitten by the Art Deco Bug. I am not sure why, but the flowing curvaceous lines of objects designed in that era have always appealed to me.

The other day I was skimming through ConceptCarz.com and I came across a car that I was aware of but had not seen in a while, the 1338 Buick “Y†Job. 4582935276_4aa88fd227.jpg

This car gets the credit of being the first concept car ever designed by a major automobile company. Harley Earl commissioned it and was often seen driving it in and around Detroit, back in the day. It is a rather large two seater, even by the standards of that era, but it has those beautiful flowing lines along with more than enough chrome and it incorporates an interesting boat-tail design in the rear very similar to the Auburn speedster. It sits a little “high†for my taste, but over all I love the look of it.

Looking at it reminded me of the 2003 Buick Blackhawk which was a more current concept car that drew heavily on the “Y†Job for its inspiration. 4582935286_904e871c1f_o.jpg

Besides a more modern powertrain, the Blackhawk sports room for four and a power retractable hardtop that folds into the trunk.

Then, I remembered the Chrysler Newport Concept from 1941, and I looked it up. Notice how it has a similar body contour on the side that flows diagonally down from above the front wheel well to just before the rear wheel and then up and over it. 4582306539_9f0b52cb4c.jpg

And interesting, notice that it has a very distinctive dual cowl design that segregates the front seats from the rear. In the 1990’s (I forget which year exactly) Chrysler had a concept car that incorporated this dual cowl design into a more modern car.

Anyway, this got me thinking. What if I took design elements from these three cars and combined them into one flowing Art Deco style vehicle? What would it look like? Would all of these elements work together or just clash with one another and look like a pot of stew? Well I drew out a few designs and when I was pretty happy, I committed the design to a block of sign foam.

A word about this foam….it is great. I have used Basswood (too hard), Balsa Wood (too soft), Modeling clay (too messy), but this stuff is just perfect. It is easy to grind with my Dremel tool into a rough design, then easy to shape up with standard sand paper and then easy to fine tune with the usual wet-dry fine grit paper.

Now the design shown here is not totally complete, but it is very close. 4582935992_dbcd80625a.jpg

As you can see, I have given it a version of the Buick grille. 4582307087_bd0b7ca4a1.jpg

I have incorporated the diagonally running side contour like the Chrysler, but I have extended the front fender similar to the Buick design. I have the dual cowl of the Chrysler and have incorporated a contour line into the trunk to give a hint of the boat-tail. 4582935758_fb4985f2fd.jpg

I am planning to form the front windshield, maybe the rear too, and a top to cover both seating areas. 4582935590_69e52ccd2e.jpg

I like the look of it, but that is not the point of this post.

Here is what I am thinking. Would any of you guys be interested in (dare I say it) a little build off? I was thinking that if there was some interest I would supply the vacuum formed bodies and top for a couple of dollars (to cover the plastic cost) and postage….it would cost somewhere around $9.00 to $10.00, mostly for the box and postage. You would have to provide the running gear of your choice….you know, pick a donor kit, or kits……you get to pick the engine, wheels and interior stuff and finish it with whatever chrome trim, headlights and colors you like.

Give it some thought. I will be out of town until the middle of next week without the ability to look at the forum, so you can think about this for a while.

Look, I am not looking to make a big deal out of this…I just thought maybe some of you guys would enjoy trying something different. You get to let your creative juices flow. Think about and if enough guys are interested it could be fun. And if just a few guys want a body, I can provide that and you can do your own thing.

Next up could be something more modern……I am really liking the idea of a sleek sharp modern futuristic 2 door, 4 place coupe….maybe an update of the Chrysler 300 type of vehicle….we’ll see. Think about the idea of a friendly little build off….and think about it, there would be no confusion about what scale is acceptable or what kits are allowed. I wonder how this would look as a DONK or a Rat Rod?

Edited by Peter Lombardo

Guest old man

this is sum thing i would like to try. i have never built anything like this before. it look's like it would be a lot of fun to do cool.gif

old man

Edited by old man

Just to be clear, I would want all to know that whatever you want to do is fine with me. The whole idea of this is to let it be a blank canvas for whatever you guys would like to do. My modeling world is big enough to let "any and all ideas" have their place. I don't care, give it tank treads and a turret, or a slick two tone paint job. And if there are enough guys we can have the forum members vote on the entries to pick a winner.....it is all good.

Peter, sign me up for one, although as fast as I build, it may be awhile before I get to it. I love the look of what you've come up with, I've never been good at the older style bodies myself, but I think I could do something with a blank canvas as cool as that!

The Company is called BalsaFoam here is a link to there website http://www.americanfoamtech.com/balsafoam/craftideas.asp word to the wise when sanding do it in a ventilated area or outside on a windy day the hobbyshop I usta work in when we had it instock and had to make something out of it makes it very dusty but very usuable,plus if you do use it I would recomend the 12lb density as the 20lb makes it to hard and the 7 is way to soft

Edited by riknight1972

Peter,

I too like the old art deco styled concept cars. They are awesome, and I like your design. Another one of my favorites was the Buick LeSabre from '51. Franklin Mint released a 1:24th scale diecast of it several years ago but I never found one for a reasonable price.

51-LeSabre-Concept-DV-10-AI_a001.jpg

For $10, count me in! My only problem, like some of the other guys, is fitting it into the "cue". I've already got 2 builds on my bench that I've been working on for months...

Later,

This sounds really cool, Peter. I always loved the Y-Job and your version looks pretty nice. It would be interesting to see how everyone refines this body. Count me in, but don't stay up at night waiting for me to bolt the wheels on .. considering my record for completions. :) ... but I WILL have fun planning and starting the build! ;)

Ok, I am going to float an idea out here and see what you guys think about it. I realize that this is very risky and some of you may think I am crazy to even suggest it, but here goes.

I think many of you know that I am rather bitten by the Art Deco Bug. I am not sure why, but the flowing curvaceous lines of objects designed in that era have always appealed to me.

The other day I was skimming through ConceptCarz.com and I came across a car that I was aware of but had not seen in a while, the 1338 Buick “Y†Job. 4582935276_4aa88fd227.jpg

This car gets the credit of being the first concept car ever designed by a major automobile company. Harley Earl commissioned it and was often seen driving it in and around Detroit, back in the day. It is a rather large two seater, even by the standards of that era, but it has those beautiful flowing lines along with more than enough chrome and it incorporates an interesting boat-tail design in the rear very similar to the Auburn speedster. It sits a little “high†for my taste, but over all I love the look of it.

Looking at it reminded me of the 2003 Buick Blackhawk which was a more current concept car that drew heavily on the “Y†Job for its inspiration. 4582935286_904e871c1f_o.jpg

Besides a more modern powertrain, the Blackhawk sports room for four and a power retractable hardtop that folds into the trunk.

Then, I remembered the Chrysler Newport Concept from 1941, and I looked it up. Notice how it has a similar body contour on the side that flows diagonally down from above the front wheel well to just before the rear wheel and then up and over it. 4582306539_9f0b52cb4c.jpg

And interesting, notice that it has a very distinctive dual cowl design that segregates the front seats from the rear. In the 1990’s (I forget which year exactly) Chrysler had a concept car that incorporated this dual cowl design into a more modern car.

Anyway, this got me thinking. What if I took design elements from these three cars and combined them into one flowing Art Deco style vehicle? What would it look like? Would all of these elements work together or just clash with one another and look like a pot of stew? Well I drew out a few designs and when I was pretty happy, I committed the design to a block of sign foam.

A word about this foam….it is great. I have used Basswood (too hard), Balsa Wood (too soft), Modeling clay (too messy), but this stuff is just perfect. It is easy to grind with my Dremel tool into a rough design, then easy to shape up with standard sand paper and then easy to fine tune with the usual wet-dry fine grit paper.

Now the design shown here is not totally complete, but it is very close. 4582935992_dbcd80625a.jpg

As you can see, I have given it a version of the Buick grille. 4582307087_bd0b7ca4a1.jpg

I have incorporated the diagonally running side contour like the Chrysler, but I have extended the front fender similar to the Buick design. I have the dual cowl of the Chrysler and have incorporated a contour line into the trunk to give a hint of the boat-tail. 4582935758_fb4985f2fd.jpg

I am planning to form the front windshield, maybe the rear too, and a top to cover both seating areas. 4582935590_69e52ccd2e.jpg

I like the look of it, but that is not the point of this post.

Here is what I am thinking. Would any of you guys be interested in (dare I say it) a little build off? I was thinking that if there was some interest I would supply the vacuum formed bodies and top for a couple of dollars (to cover the plastic cost) and postage….it would cost somewhere around $9.00 to $10.00, mostly for the box and postage. You would have to provide the running gear of your choice….you know, pick a donor kit, or kits……you get to pick the engine, wheels and interior stuff and finish it with whatever chrome trim, headlights and colors you like.

Give it some thought. I will be out of town until the middle of next week without the ability to look at the forum, so you can think about this for a while.

Look, I am not looking to make a big deal out of this…I just thought maybe some of you guys would enjoy trying something different. You get to let your creative juices flow. Think about and if enough guys are interested it could be fun. And if just a few guys want a body, I can provide that and you can do your own thing.

Next up could be something more modern……I am really liking the idea of a sleek sharp modern futuristic 2 door, 4 place coupe….maybe an update of the Chrysler 300 type of vehicle….we’ll see. Think about the idea of a friendly little build off….and think about it, there would be no confusion about what scale is acceptable or what kits are allowed. I wonder how this would look as a DONK or a Rat Rod?

Wow! Count Me in Peter, I'm a huge fan of that Styling, I'm already working on Your Sleek Coupe Body. Let Us know when the Bodies are ready, I'm anxiously waiting !

I'm intersted though, like the rest of us, time would be a factor. I'm sure I'd get it started and the general ideas going (with a full version in my head) but I couldn't promise a completion date.

I'd also be interested in your other bodies. I've seen what you've done with them and they're amazing in their own right. Any chance of getting a copy of those?

Peter - I'm in! Like you, I am also a fan of the art deco styling of cars. I have tried to restyle the AMT Blackforce in that manner and I am about to re-build it.

When you mention similar styles, take a look at the cars from France in the mid30s. The Bugatti, Delahaye, Talbot-Lago all have the same style with their 2 seat coupes.

As for a deadline, whatever you decide is fine with me. I'll add in that those who attend NNL East every year should bring their creations along to show next year.

Thanks for the great idea. Let me know when you are ready and I'll send you a money order.

Peter, I really like this idea. Your concept bears a much closer look and attention. It's different and it's a chance to get my hands on a unique, "one-off" body design. I love it, a challenge like this is right up my alley! Sign me up, I'll want two of those bodys, one to build straight-away and one to hang onto for a future project.

It's kinda funny, really, a couple of months back I took two partsbox flathead V-8s and intake runners and exhaust from a '32 Caddy and started to fabricate a V-16 flathead. I didn't know why at the time, and then this comes along! It'll fit perfectly under that looong, narrow hood!

Let me know when you need the money, and I'll be sure to get it to you!

Chris

Guys, I am overwhelmed by the response to the idea of having you guys build your version of the dual cowl roadster. I just got back from a few days of golf in sunny Florida....the weather was amazing 85 to 90 degrees every day....man, I just love Southwest Florida. Anyway, I am tightening-up the body a bit...I want it to be as close to perfectly symmetrical as possible. Also, I want to make a hardtop (like what the Blackhawk has) for it which will be included with the body just to give you guys some options. I will also try and create a soft "up" top too...we'll see about that. Also, a number of guys expressed concern that time was an issue. I fully understand that, so maybe the best thing to do is just have whoever wants to build it, build it at their own pace and not worry about a "build off" concept. Just have fun with it.....build it the way you want, when you want.

OOPS, I almost forgot, when the bodies are ready, I will post photos of it and you guys can just e mail me, I will give you my home e mail, with your mailing info. I will send them out and you guys can send the money once you recieve the body and you are happy with the quality and condition. This is not big money, besides we are all "brothers" on this forum. Have a good one.

Yeah, I like where this is going, as well. I've got a few ideas bouncing around upstairs already, a classic late 30's concept, a modern asphalt carver... The possibilities are endless. Radical custom builds like this are out of my normal realm but it'll be a welcome change of pace. If you don't reach out once in a while, how do you know what's possible??? :lol:

I'd be interested in getting a body as well. I'm slow with building too, but would love to give something like this a go. Great job so far on the design. As with your past couple moldings, your skills continue to impress. Thanks for offering something like this as well, very cool!