Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobvby Lobby Observations

My Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon was burning a hole in my pocket so I headed for the strip mall. Lucky ducky--it is only a 5 minute drive. I arrived and headed for the model section. I noticed several things: 1. Lots of empty military kit shelves 2. A lower inventory of model cars 3.A much larger selection of building and finishing supplies. Our fearless leader Gregg, had written about a new supplier of abrasives, Alpha Precision Abrasives. There was a large selection including sanding pencils. I grabbed a pack. As I checked out the clerk told me they were in the process of remerchandising the whole store. She indicated there would be more modelling items. This will be an interesting watch. Keep an eye on your local Hobby Lobby.

I hope those changes are chain-wide. Like others have mentioned here, I've seen a few more things than normal on clearance the past couple of weeks, and I guess I assumed the worst- that they were cutting inventory, but somebody pointed out that they could be making room for new kits. Hope that's the case!

I hope those changes are chain-wide. Like others have mentioned here, I've seen a few more things than normal on clearance the past couple of weeks, and I guess I assumed the worst- that they were cutting inventory, but somebody pointed out that they could be making room for new kits. Hope that's the case!

I was told at my HL that alot of new stuff is coming in, when I asked if they were dropping kits, the lady assured me no, that models were their biggest seller. I hope she's right cause there was alot of clearance kits, even newer ones.

I was just at Hobby Lobby yesterday . They split up the models. They put all the military stuff in another isle. It looks like they are getting rid of the train stuff. All they had left was on an end cap.

I've noticed a lot of train stuff on clearance at the few stores I stop at around here, kinda wondered about that...

I emailed hobby lobby HQ here is the response

Thank you for your email. We are not planning to diminish our modes department at all. Our buyers will clearance out a particular model if its sales do not meet their projection. Another reason this type of merchandise is ever discontinued is simply because the vendor has stopped making the item.

Hobby Lobby, just as with vitually every big box chain store, goes through several store "resets" every year (I believe HL does resets twice a year, January and June. This is a time when they get ready for the next, upcoming selling season, and while the Christmas Holiday season is still 6 month off, that is what they are preparing for, as holiday merchandise has been ordered already, and a lot of it will be coming into their warehouses in the next 4-8 weeks.

Hobby Lobby probably doesn't restock what train stuff they carry once winter is past--for their market, which is largely beginners in that area, trains are a winter time thing (and that's a long-standing tradition BTW) so naturally they would let that stuff run down. Model kits, on the other hand, have a pretty good run in summer, once the late spring yardwork gets done, then dies off for them in late August/through September, as school starts up, people try to get in that last warm weekend before cooler fall weather sets in.

Art

The train aisle at my local HL is pretty barren lately... but the model aisle and the supplies aisle are as full as ever! And ya gotta love that weekly 40% off coupon!

The local Hobbytown USA here actually has less of a kit selection than HL, but more tools/styrene/brass/paint, etc. Too bad they don't have a 40% off coupon too... they sell at retail. :lol:

HI, H/L is dropping all their railroading and putting in slot cars. This is a good time to buy models at h/l as they are closing out a lot of them. I found out their discount pricing, first discount is 40% off the sticker. The next discount is 40% off the first discoutned price and so on. Steve

After reading this thread, I printed out a 40% off coupon and headed over. Ended up getting three kits for less than $20 for all three, a mini belt hand sander and a bottle of accelerator, which was the only thing I could use the 40% coupon on... Some of the tools are on sale as well, so make sure you check them out as well.

Today I picked up an AMT Stingaree rail kit for $6.11 as well as some paint, aluminum tubing and a display case (40% off coupon used on the display case) I'll use the stingaree as some sort of kitbash in the future I am sure.

They had 3 of the Stingaree, 3 Revell Cobra roadsters, 2 newer Revell Mustangs and a few opened box kits that I wouldn't have touched. They were resetting the whole "Modes" isle and still had a great selection of kits. Too bad they are all wayyy overpriced!

Went to check out the Hobby Lobby here to see what they had on sale, and wouldnt you know........nothing!! Not a single model,paint, or any kind of supply on sale. I think everything else in the store was marked down anywhere from 20%-50% off. I was so disappointed. I figured I could use it as an excuse to talk my wife into leting me buy a kit or two for my b-day. Maybe next year I guess....lol :blink:

by the way, where do you get the 40% off coupons??

thanks

Gary