Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's New Midget Kits

mike 51

As midgets use a direct drive system, (& did in the era these kits replicate as well), the way the drivetrain is done on this kit is indeed accurate. They didn't really use a transmission, thus the way it's laid out.

Sorry, I disagree with you. Molding all the parts in one piece makes it more difficult to detail. It also makes part swapping more difficult. If you want to use this engine in a street rod, the first thing you have to do is remove the transmission. It looks like a great piece but in seperating it, either the trans or the motor will likely be damaged. I can see the parts going to two builds but they'll need repair prior to use. Plus you end up with one really long seam to deal with. I wonder if some builders won't think its worth the effort. Its like the Chi-town car, if you want to change the newstalgia motor for a correct motor, you have to separate the trans or use an inferior one from another kit.

Mike

Ken, high sheriff of trades:

You've misunderstood my statement. The Chi-town has a newstalgia motor. No way in the world can you convince me that motor is not a good rendition of an alloy block.

The motor in the midget is a natural for use in an early model T like a pre-war hot rod, early lsr car etc. The in and out box would work well in an early modified round track car. As for it being substantially smaller, until we're able to compare them, I still see the possibilities.

i would say WOW is an understatement! WoW! that is totally too kool. photoetch! supreme looking chrome tree and fiddly bits! two track noses and grilles! i cant wait for this one to get out! and that trailer! this looks to be about the most exciting release for me personally in a couple years and with an offy coming! wow!

Triples!!!!

But with all seriousness aside, here are some building notes from today on the Midget

1. Take your time! Test fit everything, twice.

2. Figure out your paint scheme first. It may be better to assemble some parts, like the rear suspension set up, first, and paint them together.

3. Careful with cutting of those tabs at the end of the rear chrome radius rods. I messed up mine by cutting off a necessary end piece.

4. Since the body is so small, it may be better to airbrush the body with lacquer, or decant a spray can like the Tamiya colors.

5. Glue the radiator front and backs together and then paint.

6. The rear end/axle goes in two ways, but only one way is correct. Make sure backing plate lines up correctly, not 180 degrees off (like my first attempt.

So, the body is painted, black, but I will strip it again. It is too thick, and I was rushed a bit. I did paint the seat/interior semi-gloss black, but after looking at Drew Hierwarter's pics, I may go to the semi-gloss red instead.

I do hope that our good friend Fred Cady will pop out a set of some of his great gold-colored decals for this beaut!

Well, that's all for now.

I'm beat, and I'm not used to building.

I know, what a concept, an editor of a model car magazine that actually builds models, go figure!!!!!!

pau for now.

Thanks Big Kahuna! I see some nice parts to steal in that kit! :lol:

Really!!I can see that little V-8 "quickie" in several builds, along with those track noses, & while we're asking, PLEASE make a set of those tires in 1/24 scale 15" so we can update the Edmunds Super Modified kit to a nice dirt (read that "real") race car. :D

I SEE SOME HOT ROD PARTS. AND A NICE TRAILER TO PLAY WITH. TIM BOYD HAVE A NICE BUILD UP ON SPOT LIGHT HOBBY BOARD. THE CAR WILL LOOK COOL BEHIND ANY OF THE 50'S PICK UP TRUCKS. JUST MY TWO CENTS. PAPAFO :D

In "real" life, many of these cars were carried to the race track in the back of a pick-up, not on a trailer. The first team I worked on carried the car & tires etc. in the back of a long bed '58 Chevy pick-up, & they were one of the top runners in the BCRA midgets at the time. (early sixties). And the top guy in points at that time was running a V-8 60, Hank Butcher, I have pics of him at Shasta Speedway in a "Super Modified" in the '60-'61 season at the age of 13, it was the first car I saw with an on board fire system, they plumbed copper line from an ordinary extinguisher to the engine compartment because the old Stromberg 97s were so bad about leaking they were always catching on fire. :lol:

Edited by horsepower

And this one is to show you guys who is at the top of this game!!!

post-3-014374500 1289467753_thumb.jpg

Well, it's not me, but it's still US!!!!

Thanks to John Oszajca and Darryl Gassaway for making the trip up to the Edelbrock museum in Torrance, California.

A big thanks to Vic Edelbrock and Camee Edelbrock for making this all happen!

Okay.

For all the Nay Sayers, Nit Pickers, Beer Stealers, Swag Haters, and those who say I don't, can't, won't, doesn't, didn't, wouldn't, etc. etc. etc., finish a model, this one is for you:

post-3-013023700 1289467398_thumb.jpg

Well, it's almost done.

BAH! Models are meant to be worked on, not finished! :blink:

Edited by Foxer

One of my grandsons asked why they would be making a model of a "little person" ???;)

I showed him what a Midget is.;)

I've been trying to get him interested in model building but he is too hung up on his games to pay attention!:D

Okay.

For all the Nay Sayers, Nit Pickers, Beer Stealers, Swag Haters, and those who say I don't, can't, won't, doesn't, didn't, wouldn't, etc. etc. etc., finish a model, this one is for you:

post-3-013023700 1289467398_thumb.jpg

Well, it's :rolleyes: almost :D done.

The prosecution rests.

(Book'em Danno!)

ph34r.gif:blink: