Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where/how to make transition from novice to intermediate

I’ve been building models since I was around 12 (1998), mostly out of box, stock mopars, nothing special. Compared to most of the builds I see here, my shelf looks like garbage. I’d like to give my models more details, but my 4 LHS all focus on trains, planes, and R/C cars. None of them really offer anything besides paint and glue. What are some of the more popular online outlets? Something that carries tools, supplies, customization items, and kits, too. I know I can use google and come up with countless sites, but what do the pros at MCM use?

I’d also like to venture into pro street versions of cars, since that’s the next logical step from stock builds – buy a stock car, mod it until it’s barely street legal. I can see point A - a Revell Roadrunner or Viper even, and point B - the awesome finished products displayed here, but I not seeing too much in between. Are all the frames scratch built or resin? Is it possible and within reason to turn any car into a drag car?

Also for some reason I feel like the standard curbside kits and other model stuff available at the LHS are more geared toward me when I first started. Paint, glue, done. Would I be correct in assuming this? What are some of the more quality brands?

All fairly vague questions, I know. Im just looking into making the transition from boring same old, same old kits to something different and eye catching. Any help is appreciated.

Hey Sean, welcome!

My best tip is to grab a couple issues of MCM or Hot Rod etc and a note pad. Take notes, figgure what gets you going and pick up a couple of kits.

Kitbashing is taking goodies from a few kits and seein what you get. This example is a Lindburg kit, all cut up, with a parts pack motor, aftermarket wheels and

brakes with a leftover rear end...More time than cost!

IMG_0601.jpg

Sean,

I've gotten back into modeling after about 15 years off and have been adding more detail to my builds. For me, I've started small, adding bits of detail here and there. Pre-wired distributor from MAD, fabbing exhaust out of K&S aluminum tubing, making an Optima battery, etc. Nothing real special, but each build gets better and better. For online retailers I use Megahobby.com, but I'm sure the guys here have other sites they like as well. My 2 cents, YMMV.

Sean, You've ask a lot of questions in a small space. Not that there's anything wrong with that but some may fall through the cracks and not get answered. And, most of us here do follow the rule; "There is no stupid question" so do ask.

I get from your post that you want to take the leap from painted, out of the box (OOB), to fully kit bashed with scratch built parts and after market parts.

I would first direct you to an excellent on-going-and-going how-to in the Tips, Tricks & Techniques section titled "Back to the Basics". Many of us who thought we knew it all have learned from Mark.

It is a GIANT leap from OOB to some of the fully detailed models you refer to. Look in the Workbench section and then try and find the completed model in the Under Glass section. (Hint: Follow the link for the member originating the topic to their page then follow the "Topics" link to all their topics. Search for the Under Glass postings.) The attrition is significant. It's sort of a "eyes are bigger than our stomach" syndrome. I would advise you take some intermediate steps. Build another OOB with a fully detailed engine. Next time add a detailed under carriage. Or, maybe concentrate next on an custom interior as well as the detailed engine. My point is for you to succeed.

I know of no aftermarket resin frames. As for turning any car into a dragster I refer you to your closest cruising spot on any weekend. If they can do it in 1:1, then you can do it in scale.

One good starting point for tools and parts is here: http://www.socalcarculture.com/ It is an excellent photo reference site. The "Models" button at the top will take you to another page where half-way down is a link to 'Aftermarket Resources'. There lie many answers to your question "Where?".

There's nothing wrong with building OOB models, Bob Downie - "Zoom Zoom" - is living proof of that. I think he once won "Best of Show" with an OOB model.

My advice would be to get subscriptions to MCM and the "other" mag - Scale Auto. Just try to learn one new thing and add it to each new model, don't try to add all these different techniques at the same time. Like, learn how to add wheels from another kit that mount in a different way, then learn how to lower or raise suspensions, then how to add disc brakes, then how to fit a newer motor in an older car; in just a few models, you'll have the skills it takes to make a full-blown resto-rod or whatever they call them.

Just focus on learning one new thing with each new model, and you'll get there.

And be sure to read at Romell Robinson's - "Aftashox" - thread on his '67 Chevelle, there's 28 pages of some of the best modeling advice you're going to find anywhere. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31030

Edited by Brett Barrow

Tools and supplies can be found everywhere from those LHS to hardware stores to radio shack, craft stores etc. Just keep your eyes peeled wherever you go. Of course Ebay is a great source for anything. There are lots of great dealers with websites, too.

I would heavily recommend, if you can manage it, to go to any model shows you can find and find out if there are any clubs in your area and go to the meetings. Meeting up with like minded people is the best. You will find friendship, tips, hints, sources for stuff and mostly inspiration. I belong to a great club here in Minneapolis and can't imagine being without it. I have seen over the years a number of younger builders start coming to our meetings and the first models they bring are OK but nothing special. They typically show constant improvement and after a few years they start winning contests! I am sure you can do the same. Good luck to you!

Sean.

For your prostreet inclinations ... AMT's '66 Nova will provide you with a tubed chassis which can be used on alot of kits . For your prostreeted rods , the frame from the Revell ' 41 Willys can be cut and stretched to fit under almost any street rod kit. Ask all the questions that come to mind , someone here always has an answer !

Donn Yost

Another piece of advice I would offer is to take your time when scratch building,there's no point rushing things as it's not a race to get a model finished-the more you can plan everything out as you would if you were building a 1:1 custom the better off you will be,try to take your time perfecting one skill instead of rushing through it to start another,good luck with your builds.

hey Sean,

Like the others say, take your time, a bit more detail on each project. I recently started back into the hobby, having never really done any detail work (or nice completed work, I was young when I last did this). I've only finished one car in the time since I've returned (5 or 6 months), I have a few more in various stages of progress. My point being each model is a stepping stone to the next. Or sometimes each PART of a model teaches us something new for the next PART.

Keep your eyes open and you will see parts and tools everywhere, even the supermarket. On line shopping is great, I use scale dreams, and Micro mark (tools) as well as others, look those two up you'll be happy you did.

Sean, I can tell you that in the 10 years I've been back building models, I still enjoy building OOB. I still have fun with simply just putting a model together.

The levels you will achieve will come in due time. Enjoy the journey and the scent of all that fresh styrene.

To have fun, it's the only gutsy reason to build a model.

Sean,

For tools, you can't beat Micromark, they've got more tools than any one human could possibly ever use in one lifetime and their prices are great.

For advise and tips, this forum community is the best source I've found. Pretty much everybody here wants to share their craft and knowledge and help others improve their skills.

Welcome Aboard!

David G.

There is really no transition from novice to intermediate or other different levels of modelling.

What your doing in essence is adding things or trying new things. Maybe scratchbuilding more. Those are things that shows the different levels of modelling. It really has nothing to do with being novice, intermediate or advanced. Those are just subjective levels based on who you ask.

It has been said, don't focus on the label you will call yourself, focus on getting better at techniques. Grab your last two models and nit-pick the heck out of them. Is there an area of the model that just doesn't look like the real car? Now find threads, techniques, friends, etc. that can help you improve there.

And analyze pix of real cars, parts, etc., not just assume you know what things look like.

Another thing a great modeler told me that really helped me was "treat each group of parts as its own model". For instance build the motor as if it was going to be displayed without the car. The dash. The suspension. The grille. The inside of the trunk. He even builds seats as if they were on display outside the car. It really helps.

John

Edited by coopdad

There are several here who have suggested it, but the transition to a higher level isn't about kits. Going out an buying better kits is a waste of time without practice. If you have the opportunity, go to ebay and pick up some junkers or somebody's spare parts then get out a saw and start hacking and re-gluing parts back together. Learn how plastic reacts and how to correct mistakes. Then take some of your hacked up bodies and play with some paint and tape and see how you get it to look realistic. It may sound boring but frankly a lot of my best projects started with discarded bodies. Let your imagination run amok. After you have that then get into the books or on line photos and see what you like. Oh, and have fun! That is most important. Detail is not important if you haven't mastered the basics. When you look at the stuff here on line, know that many of these models involve hours of basic prep work and meticulous finishing. The really great stuff is never done quick and easy. Good Luck!

Thanks for the replys everyone! I see what's being said about the label thing. I also like the idea of treating every part and assembly as though that itself is a model. I like trying something new in preparation for the next model, but trying taking my time combined with trying something new for each part would definitely yield more improvements! I can more accurately describe the direction I want to go in as "more detail." From my 1:1 hobbies Ive learned I can pretty much do anything as long as Im willing to slow down and take my time until it's right, instead of just filling a time requirement.

We have a Micheals, but I havent seen any chain stores, which is why I asked about preferred online vendors. I found a better LHS, and grabbed a few items. BMF, new blades, some sheet styrene (I do want to replicate a IMSA Fiero in time) and some Tenax7r glue, which I read here it was common on several benches. I also decided to add another model to queue, Lindberg's Little Red Wagon. Something different, and a Mopar so it had to be added:)

Thanks for the replys everyone! I see what's being said about the label thing. I also like the idea of treating every part and assembly as though that itself is a model. I like trying something new in preparation for the next model, but trying taking my time combined with trying something new for each part would definitely yield more improvements! I can more accurately describe the direction I want to go in as "more detail." From my 1:1 hobbies Ive learned I can pretty much do anything as long as Im willing to slow down and take my time until it's right, instead of just filling a time requirement.

We have a Micheals, but I havent seen any chain stores, which is why I asked about preferred online vendors. I found a better LHS, and grabbed a few items. BMF, new blades, some sheet styrene (I do want to replicate a IMSA Fiero in time) and some Tenax7r glue, which I read here it was common on several benches. I also decided to add another model to queue, Lindberg's Little Red Wagon. Something different, and a Mopar so it had to be added:)

Sounds like you have some body modifications in mind. You will need to get some filler and sanding materials. Time to go to the beauty shop and auto store. The auto shop for some two part glazing compound. This is a find grained putty and works great on models. I personally use Euro Soft, but Bondo and several others make the same thing. If you buy some, transfer both the compound and the hardener out of the plastic containers and into glass. This stuff was made to be used quickly so the life of the plastic containers is much less that the chance of you ever using it up on plastic models.

Now the beauty shop. Sanding sticks. Most finger nail finishers use a variety of sanding sticks with different grits. Get a reasonable variety. Use them for wet sanding the plastic and putty. They are great for shaping body panels and blending new body panels.

Most skilled modelers are not proud of where they get stuff. For the most part they want something that works at the best possible price. Good luck!

Edited by Pete J.

I have been looking at the Scale Dreams website and they look like they have a lot of products that I could use, you might want to check them out. Tower hobbies is good too.

One of my first "modified" builds was a 32 ford sedan. It was a really nice kit and it taught me a lot about detailing and customizing a model. I would suggest getting a 32 or 34 ford and building a "Rat" to start off with because you have alot to work with ( options such as lowering and getting stances right). You also have alot of "room" as in on the engine and on the frame.

Heres my sedan :

th_100_1392.jpg

Its not my best but I really had a lot of fun building it, and I learned alot :D

It was my first one that I wired, the first I lowered, and the first I used parts from other kits to build. You may or may not like rat rods or hot rods, but they sure do have a lot of room to work with.

Good luck !!!