Model Cars Magazine Forum

2010 Corvette Promos

For the 2 or 3 of us that still collect, comes now the amazing news that, in addition to the 2008 and 2009 Corvette promos on the water to the USA, there will be two 2010 Corvette promos produced:

2010 Corvette Coupe in Switchblade Silver (gotta love that color name)

2010 Corvette Convertible in Torch Red

Check your favorite source for details.

When you say promos, are you talking plastic kits? From what I'm seeing these days, most dealers have diecasts.

Dealer promotional models are, generally speaking, 1:25 scale plastic models that are fully assembled and molded, or painted, in factory colors:

2005Promo01.jpg

As far back as the 30's there were metal promos but the plastic ones became popular in the late '40's; junior got the promo when dad bought a new car:

1949FordPromo.jpg

Promos have almost died out so news of anything new is a big deal. You are correct that most dealers that have any model cars usually have diecasts, which are not "traditional" promos.

Dealer promotional models are, generally speaking, 1:25 scale plastic models that are fully assembled and molded, or painted, in factory colors:

2005Promo01.jpg

As far back as the 30's there were metal promos but the plastic ones became popular in the late '40's; junior got the promo when dad bought a new car:

1949FordPromo.jpg

Promos have almost died out so news of anything new is a big deal. You are correct that most dealers that have any model cars usually have diecasts, which are not "traditional" promos.

So I understand, based on days gone by many decades ago. Are there still styrene plastic promos as in those eras? I guess I don't understand the current meaning of "promos."

Edited by sjordan2

Maybe this will help - think of a "promo" as an item that that a manufacturer (Chevrolet Division of General Motors, for example) has produced in order to promote the product(s) they sell.

A model kit or diecast is generally an item that a company like Revell produces to make a profit for Revell.

Put the words "Dealer Promotional Model" in your search engine for more info.

Edited by 7000in5th

Are there any photos out there of these promos? Seems I remember they're not Revell but AMT? Would that mean seriously undersized wheels/tires?

No photos of the 2010 promos that I have seen, but they will surely look exactly like the 2005 promos:

2005Promo02.jpg

The last AMT Corvette promos were made in 1999, Revell has done them since then. The wheels and tires look okay to me in the above photo, what do you think?

No photos of the 2010 promos that I have seen, but they will surely look exactly like the 2005 promos:

2005Promo02.jpg

The last AMT Corvette promos were made in 1999, Revell has done them since then. The wheels and tires look okay to me in the above photo, what do you think?

The Revell ones look fine, but I was just thinking aloud about what I'd seen somewhere that it was AMT and not Revell doing the 2010/2011 Corvette promos. Wish I could remember the source. If they're Revell that's a good thing. If they're AMT, I'm afraid the wheels will be at least 1 or likely 2 scale inches too small in diameter. Like their Challenger SRT-8 rolling on 18's :)

I have a few Corvette promos and the paint on some of them is very good. I also have a few Impala police car promos, also very good. I would like a new Corvette promo to add to the stash.

I have a friend who races slot cars and likes promos as they are stronger than a kit due to the mostly 1 piece body and the fact that they are painted. I have watched Ebay and the older promos still have high very good value. There are still lots of promo collectors out there.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. I am new to this forum and I had to join to get in on this discussion. I have collected promo models since I was a kid in the 50s. Those didn't survive. So I started over as an adult. I now have over 300 promo models with the main emphasis being on Corvettes. 192 of my promos are Corvettes. And I can proudly say that I have at least one of EVERY year Corvette since they began in 1953. That is one reason this is great news about the Corvette promos being released again. 2007 was supposed to be the last year for them due to lack of interest and GM's impending bankruptcy. I am so glad to hear this and will have to continue my collection. I have seen all three that have actually been released so far on eBay. And they are taking pre-orders for the two versions of the 2010s now. So, rejoice, Corvette promotional model collectors. Happy days are here again!!

Hi guys. I am new to this forum and I had to join to get in on this discussion. I have collected promo models since I was a kid in the 50s. Those didn't survive. So I started over as an adult. I now have over 300 promo models with the main emphasis being on Corvettes. 192 of my promos are Corvettes. And I can proudly say that I have at least one of EVERY year Corvette since they began in 1953. That is one reason this is great news about the Corvette promos being released again. 2007 was supposed to be the last year for them due to lack of interest and GM's impending bankruptcy. I am so glad to hear this and will have to continue my collection. I have seen all three that have actually been released so far on eBay. And they are taking pre-orders for the two versions of the 2010s now. So, rejoice, Corvette promotional model collectors. Happy days are here again!!

Welcome to the Forum. I am glad there are still a few Corvette promo collectors out there. I have 188 Corvette promos but not much that is rare.

Artifa6.jpg

Already have the three 2008/2009 on my display shelf and the two 2010 ones on order they are supposed to be here around the end of this month). If you're interested in the first ones hunt them down fast as I understand that they're not being done in the huge numbers that were done in the earlier days.

Yes these are plastic and carry the Round2 label on the bottom. The kit is of course a curbside and I would say its fairly good (not quite on par with the Revell curbside kit but close. It also comes with the post 2005 steering wheels and wheels which were not available from the Revell kit. I read somewhere that Round2 were suppose to be bringing it out as a curbside kit sometime this year and I hope so (a great source of parts). The seats appear to be made of the same vinyl that was used to do the Challenger ones a couple of years ago.

As one of the few promo collectors that appear to be left I'm very happy to see these back out.

Don't have a photo hosting site so can't post pics of them but take my word they're quite nice and besides how else are you going to get a plastic 2008 Indy Pace car to put on your shelf.

robw

Welcome to the Forum. I am glad there are still a few Corvette promo collectors out there. I have 188 Corvette promos but not much that is rare.

Artifa6.jpg

Are all of those cars in that pic promos? If so, then you have some of the older and rare cars. What is the oldest car you have?

post-6973-029832400 1286110791_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have a few promos, my best being the 65 & 67 Corvette, but the 50 Studebaker is my favorite because my uncle gave that one to me when I was in 8th grade.

I have a few Corvette promos and the paint on some of them is very good
Speaking of the plastic promos wasn't there only a few that were actually painted rather than molded?

AzTom

CorvettePromos-vi.jpg

Cool stuff! Im a new collector myself. Where do you buy them other than ebay from? Know of any websites for this type of stuff to trade or buy from?

Drew C from SC

I buy my promos from Bobs Promotional Cars, he has a website. I have nothing but good things to say about Bob Reck and his service.

robw

Are all of those cars in that pic promos? If so, then you have some of the older and rare cars. What is the oldest car you have?

The oldest original, intact promo that I have is a 1976 Corvette. All the earlier Corvettes in the picture are later re-released promos or built kits (and a couple of slot cars and the Revell "Route 66" 1962 diecast). I do have an original 1966 Corvette convetible promo that I got from a friend AFTER he converted it to a race car (including chopping off half the windshield frame and applying a "shark" paint job). Some day I will restore it.

If you guys know much about Corvette promos, then you know the last pic above is of a 1967. And that is the Holy Grail of Corvette promos.

Impressive collection! All the mid-years are big on the collector market, but the '67 is one of the hottest.

I have a few promos, my best being the 65 & 67 Corvette, but the 50 Studebaker is my favorite because my uncle gave that one to me when I was in 8th grade.

Speaking of the plastic promos wasn't there only a few that were actually painted rather than molded?

AzTom

CorvettePromos-vi.jpg

Excellent display; a '64, '67 and '66, right?

Not sure what the painted-to-molded promo ratio is, but I know that when AMT tried to mold some '90's Corvette metallic colors, they ended up with a swirled mess!

Don't have a photo hosting site so can't post pics of them but take my word they're quite nice and besides how else are you going to get a plastic 2008 Indy Pace car to put on your shelf.

robw

One more post today.

Robert, have you converted a Z06 into a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport convertible (or coupe) yet? If so, I will be happy to host your pictures since, I am sorry to see, Ismael's last update to his Corvette web site seems to have been about April, 2008.

Regards,