Model Cars Magazine Forum

E.R. visit due to modeling mishap

Been there done that, late 80's. I was working second shift & was home alone in the morning building. To make a long story short put a #11 blade & left index finger together. Wrapped it up with a wash cloth & drove to the hospital, only a 3 or 4 mile drive. The ER was empty, so in a couple hours or so I was home with 5 stitches. One bonus I remember was that the Dr. was a woman & when she was finished sewing me up I looked over and commented on all the blood on the wash cloth I had used. She told me how to get it clean ! A male Dr. would have just said oh well. Of course the moral is as we all know those things are just so d___ sharp you can't be to careful !!

I still have a faint scar on my right thumb from an exacto knife incident from 25 years ago when I was 15...I remember it bled and bled, I kept screaming for my Mom to call 911 and that I had cut my aorta. Well, not exactly..the bleeding eventually stopped..didn't need stitches.

Cut the end of one of my fingers, side to side. Deep enough for an ER visit, but not enough for stitches. Just before I cut myself, I said to myself that I'd better be careful or I might...slash...cut myself...

Waited for about 2 hours (not bad), got a tetanus shot, a clean-up of the cut, and a butterfly bandage...and the nurse saying on my way out I'm sure we'll see you again!

So far, they haven't!!

i remember this one incident when i was 12-13 years of age...maybe even younger

it was the 5th of december and i had gotten a model kit of two helicopters (one being a bell UH1D) from sinterklaas (the original saint from whom santaclaus is plagiarized)

anyway, i take my kit up to my little room and i sit down at my desk

instead of neatly cutting the bag open with a pair of scissors i hold it up with my right hand and decide to slash it with the exacto knife i was holding in my left hand (almost in the same way you would crank a whip or cast a flyrod)

well, my depth perception was off just a hair and i ended up slicing my thumb open

i remember looking in there and seeing what i thought was the bone (turned out to be the tenant) laying like a shiny yellow tube on the bottom of a pink ravine

i stared at it for about half a second and then the blood started gushing out

me and my parent went to the doctor who was on call and my dad was very nervous

being a little kid myself i didnt notice the alcohol on the doctors breath (it being a national holiday he must have been having a few drinks with the family, not expecting to actually get called in) but he sowed me up quite nicely anyway

as i sit here typing, more then a decade later, i can still see the 1 inch scare at the base of my thumb

No stitches so far but came real close last week. Not paying attention I let the knife roll off the table.It fell point first and embedded itself in my shoe. I was wearing those heavy rubber crocs, and the blade had enough momentum to push the tip through to where it was just touching my big toe.

Whew :lol:

G

I bought some of those triangle shaped grippys for all of my knives just for this reason.

Oh man, I have a scare from a xacto accident that took place back in 2007. The scare itself is 2 1/4 long but the visble scare piece that you can see real well is about 1 inch long though. I can post what happen and also afew photos of what the scare looks like if you all want to see. Also just for the record I didn't go to the E.R at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I was super gluing a pliable part a few years back & when I let go some of the glue flipped up & into my eye. That took an emergency visit to my eye Dr. He put my head in a vice like contraption, numbed my eye & cut the super glue out. Not a pleasant experience. :P

Edited by forthlin

I bought some of those triangle shaped grippys for all of my knives just for this reason.

WoW! I got about 7 exacto knives an ALL of them have those tri angle "Grippy Things" I try to buy the type that have the 6 sided blade ferrules, they help them to keep from rollin of the tables along with the "grippy thngs"biggrin.gifwink.gif

I never got it that bad from an Exacto, but I got myself good with a utility knife. It was a doosy of a cut and took four stitches in my "Gold Finger", as I call it. Since 2004 it has had $5500 in repairs done to it, none do to a hobby related injury.

Gary