Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped '25 T

Dave Ambrose

Go easy on me. This is my first posting in WIP. :mellow:

Starting a new model for the next SDMCC theme night. This is going to be the competition coupe from the AMT 3-in-1 kit with the engine and exhaust system from the Dragula. Mocking this thing up has been a fiddly nightmare of masking tape and intermittent structural malfunctions.

I really like the slicks that came with the 3-in-1. Rear wheels are from the Dragula. Don't know what I'll do on the front end yet. The notion of stealing the Munster Coach wheels has crossed my mind, but I have nothing in my parts box that looks right. The kit wheels aren't bad, but I feel like some mags would be better. I'm probably going to use the cycle front fenders from the kit.

Body color will be Boyd grape Pearl, with yellow frame and running gear.

Not sure about tail lights, etc.; probably not the kit parts.

mockup2sml.jpg

More pics as I progress.

Nice project, can't wait to see more! That is great body style. Those AMT rear slicks are looking very good on it. Those wheels are very nice ones too... This kit is "must have" but it's quite expensive, I think... But yours is looking very very good, keep it going! :D

Nice project, can't wait to see more! That is great body style. Those AMT rear slicks are looking very good on it. Those wheels are very nice ones too... This kit is "must have" but it's quite expensive, I think... But yours is looking very very good, keep it going! :wub:

Thanks. this is my first hot rod in multiple decades. A tragedy to be sure, but a correctable one. B)

I should have more progress soon. I'm going to assemble the front and rear suspensions enough to get the engine fitted and the floor board modified for the Dragula transmission. The body got another coat of primer. This time I used the model master primer and my airbrush. That's much better than Duplicolor from a spray can.

Got the cycle fenders glued and primed today. Some filling and filing required. :)

The price isn't too bad when you consider that it's got two complete cars in it. Don't know if I'll build the stock one, but if not, I have several destinations for the parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the hiatus. Been having paint drama. But, the paint is on, the body looks good, and I can put a better mockup together.

IMG_0814.jpg

I'm reasonably pleased. This is my first effort with bare metal foil, and the first time I've done an engine swap in ages. Had to remove the existing crossmember and make a new one from styrene. Looking forward to getting the engine wired, installed, and the organ pipe exhaust mounted.

More progress. It's almost done. It's just lacking some front suspension parts, fenders, and headlights.

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

Looks like I have some more touch-up to do on that tail light. Next time, I think I'll glue the photo-etch to some rubylith film, then stick it down to the bare metal foil instedd of filling in the tail lights with transparent red paint.

That is one HOT rod! what color purple did you use on the body? I have something very similar to it, called purplicious. anyway great job!

Thank you for your kind words. This one's turned out better than I expected.

I really like the way this paint came out. It's Boyd's Grape Pearl over grey Model Master primer. There's no clear coat.

It's somewhat transparent. If I'd known this sooner, I'd've used a gold undercoat instead of grey primer. That said, I think it has enough paint so that all you really see underneath is the pearl.

• 4 years later...