Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tractor Trailer Community Build

highway

Don't know if you can see them, but the seats also have a lever added to them to adjust the seats and there's a 5th wheel release lever added to it as well. And the engine sports white colored Puralator filters on it.

00510.jpg

00710.jpg

00810.jpg

01310.jpg

00610.jpg

Edited by dwc43

the luberfiner should have two lines, one going in and one coming out. apparently they should both be at the bottom not one going in near the top and one coming out the bottom as i have done. next time i'll be sure to get that detail right.

the small pump with the chromed bowl is for the cab lift.

Thanks for the info. I only drove an old 82 Mack for one year, so I learn a little something new everyday building these trucks. They are starting to grow on me too.

Wow, great work going on guys! I've been in a Nyquil induced haze for about a week, since my better half decided she would share the flu with me :blink: , so I haven't been doing anything except looking at the back of my eyelids! :blink: If any of you happen to notice I don't have a kit in your list or you have taken your pics and I have not marked your entry with a (*), let me know and I'll get the list updated. :P

@ Dave: Does the toolbox come in the Freightliner? I never really looked through mine yet, and if not, where did you get it?

@ DW: The Kenworth is looking nice and looks like you are off to a good start on the Ford. One tip for your close up pics, try using the macro function on your camera, they will show detail much better. If you have a little icon that looks like a flower on a button, that would be the macro, if you don't have a button like that, see if you have one that says "mode". My cheap camera has the "mode" button, and that should take you to a menu where you can select the macro setting for the close ups. :blink:

@ Justin: The fifth wheel releases look good, and the J shaped release is more common on the 1:1s. The brand of truck doesn't have any difference on the shape, fifth wheels are made from aftermarket manufactures, and the most common are made by Jost and Holland. The release handle is one of those little details you don't have to worry much about, anything looks good! :blink:

Here are some update photos. I still have to polish the paint and add stripes on the fenders and slear coat them. I just mocked up the truck wtih the factory stacks and bumper but wll be using a photo etched stack kit and a polished Texas bumper. I have the interior left to do along with plumbing on the engine an chassis and then on to the detail items.

IMG_0112.jpg?t=1295133236

IMG_0113.jpg?t=1295133236

IMG_0114.jpg?t=1295133236

IMG_0115.jpg?t=1295133236

@ DW: The Kenworth is looking nice and looks like you are off to a good start on the Ford. One tip for your close up pics, try using the macro function on your camera, they will show detail much better. If you have a little icon that looks like a flower on a button, that would be the macro, if you don't have a button like that, see if you have one that says "mode". My cheap camera has the "mode" button, and that should take you to a menu where you can select the macro setting for the close ups. :)

Thanks. I checked the camera and no macro setting. I know something that might have made it look bad. I used the night setting with the flash and it picks up both subject and backgrounds. I thought I'd try it for the low light condition I had inside at the time. Guess I'll go back to the other setting. It does have a full manual setting, but not sure that will help any. Trying to save up for a 15 mp Cannon Rebel EOS dslr. That should do the trick, but the one I looked at the other day was over $600. Might be a while before I get that one.

Have the 5th wheel releases changed over the years or have they just been pretty much the same?

I like the style in the first pic the best. Would that be appropriate for a peterbilt 359 and a kenworth w900 or did they have a different syle then?

Also I would like to add one to my White Freightliner COE. What style would be best for that?

Thanks, Justin

I saw Highways post on the 5th wheel, so you know about that. If you scroll up and look at the KW W900 Aerodyne I posted it has a simple L shaped handle. I used a sharpie on the end of it to make it look like it had a rubber coated area to grasp.

The old Mack I used to drive had a little flip piece that was supposed to keep you from unlocking the 5th by accident as if that could ever happen. Then it had this 3 inch little nub that stuck out. No way on earth to unlock that 5th with that thing.

I had a piece of pipe that laid on the floor by my seat with one end mashed done to slide up on that little nub. To unlock the 5th, I set the trailer brakes, applied reverse against the trailer and then set the truck brakes. Took all the pressure off the 5th that way. Flipped the safety catch and then slid the pipe over the nub and pulled the pipe towards the cab in an upward motion and it was then released.

Marvin had the caddy of all truck. The Freightliner he was driving had everything. He could unlock the 5th from the seat with the flip of a toggle switch. Lucky %&$#*#(*#(. LOL!!

Matt, sorry to hear about the Flu, it's been a contributing factor to my absence in this build.

Anyway managed to do something, sprayed 1 coat of Duplicolor GM Frost White, which I thought showed up in the 80's turns out it was there back in '76 also, still needs 1 more coat of white, then the cab gets masked for the yellow.

Sorry about the pictures, I wasn't in the mood to crack out the desk lamp and such.

FILE1620.jpg

FILE1623.jpg

Nick

The old Mack I used to drive had a little flip piece that was supposed to keep you from unlocking the 5th by accident as if that could ever happen.

Believe me DW, it CAN happen! Once when I was still driving wrecker, I had to go on what was supposed to be a simple winch out that ended up being a recovery. The driver had gotten stuck on a small hill between a parking lot and a road, and he had everything bound up so bad the kingpin of the trailer actually popped the fifth wheel open. When I started winching the tractor, I noticed (thankfully!) the trailer wasn't moving and I stopped and checked the fifth wheel. It was almost ready to come out from under the trailer, another few inches and I would have dropped the trailer on the ground! It ended up we had two wreckers there, the one I had for winching the tractor, and the other to hold the nose of the trailer while we got the tractor out of the way and then move the trailer so the driver could hook back up to it.

Matt, i think that toolbox is the battery box, at least i sure hope it is since i ran the wire in there :)

Now I'm going to have to look at mine more! :lol: Even if it is the battery box, it would make a nice toolbox, too! :lol:

Started doing a School Project on a possible Future Career, what does this have to do with this build, the career was Commercial Truck Driver.

Anyway still slowly working forward, until I cracked the body work on the back of the cab on the point where the roof meets the back of cab, so I taped off the white and started repairing that, hows that song go, two steps forward, 3 steps back B)

Got a bit done on the bed, BMF, Tailights installed over some aluminum BMF, handles aren't done. the chrome parts in the bed are MPC Trans Am Firebird Custom Gas caps from the Annual kits, both will need BMF'ed due to the fact that the chrome on them is 33 years old.

FILE1636.jpg

FILE1637.jpg

FILE1635.jpg

As for the cab I taped off my white, The rest will be yellow, so basically what's yellow will be white and what's white will be yellow, and I created the back of cab trim, it'll need BMF'ed and detail painted.

FILE1633.jpg

FILE1634.jpg

lots more to do.

Nick

Edit: Noticed the god awful scratch on the corner of the bed, that'll need fixed and touched up.

Edited by Nick Winter

Question. What color is the Spicer transmissions? Red maybe? Since I have the Aerodyne W900 and the Paystar almost finished and the LN Ford started but waiting on paint, I need to start on my Diamond Reo C-116DFL. Mine will use the Cummins NTC-350 inline six with a turbo and a 16 spd Spicer.

I don't like the sleeper, so this one will not have one and will get a deck plate in the back. If I can find one somewhere (probably from Krauts) I'm going to replace the squared off aircleaner for a more traditional round one. I think I'll dump the roof mounted A/C unit as well for what I think will make it look a lot better.

Now I need to get to the hobby stores and see if I can find some trailers for these rigs, unless someone has a link for some good (cheap) online sources.

Well haven't done a whole lot. Fixed the scratch on the bed. Made up a set of period correct Cibie fog lights, for the front bumper. And I have been working on the light bar, I dipped it in Glass paint, Which I was given, I have amber, red and blue, great stuff for emergency lights, then I cut the tabs off the base, and BMFed it, and added a strip of BMF in the center or the lense, where it will have "HOLMES" on both sides in black, just like the real light bars Holmes offered with there beds, still need to make 2 rotators for inside the light.

FILE1653.jpg

FILE1655.jpg

FILE1656.jpg

FILE1657.jpg

FILE1658.jpg