Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tractor Trailer Community Build

highway

Happy New Year everyone!!! Well, still a half hour to go for me. I hope this one is better than the last one for all of you!! I got a little time in

today and worked on the cab. I filled in where the steps go and added some rivet detail here and there.

cid__1231101900-01.jpg

cid__1231102256-02.jpg

I might be able to prime it tomorrow. I may even be able to start work on the frame tonight. I still haven't decided on colors or stripes yet. Any

ideas or suggestions? I'm going for a fleet look so a simple two tone would be best.

Thanks for looking!

Rick

Well, I hate to do this, but I have to withdraw from this build... I'm pulling out of this one even before I've really solidified my entry with pictures... Sorry, Highway, life does have a tendency to interfere with a lot of things... Oh, I'll keep watching with great interest but something has come up that will prohibit me from doing anything serious in the way of modeling for the next several months...

Edited by Wagoneer81

Well, I hate to do this, but I have to withdraw from this build... I'm pulling out of this one even before I've really solidified my entry with pictures... Sorry, Highway, life does have a tendency to interfere with a lot of things... Oh, I'll keep watching with great interest but something has come up that will prohibit me from doing anything serious in the way of modeling for the next several months...

Chris there's no need to withdraw really, this build goes through the end of 2011. I would hope whatever curve ball life has tossed you way isn't going to effect you for the entire year. :lol:

the filled steps look cool, but it's the single headlamps that got my attention :D

Ditto made me do a double-take!

Count me in on this one...just sliding in under the wire.

Put me down for:

1. Autocar heavy wrecker

2. Freightliner COE dual drive with a flatbed

3. Titan with a tanker

I'll post up picture first chance.

No sliding in under the wire here, George, you have plenty of time! B) Welcome aboard, and I have the list updated.

Highway, I guess I'll throw it out now. Under my current project you could add a Ford Louisville Short Hauler :lol: That's the next one I decided to do out of my stash. That may change but thats what im pretty sure I will be doing next.

I git the Ford added for you, Justin. I had a strange feeling you might be starting on one of these. :DB)

Chris there's no need to withdraw really, this build goes through the end of 2011. I would hope whatever curve ball life has tossed you way isn't going to effect you for the entire year. B)

Yeah, Chris, I agree with James, even if the curve ball of life has you to where you can't work on anything until Labor Day, you'd still have 4 months to get finished, and that's assuming I don't extend the deadline! :D

OK, OK, stop twistin', my arm doesn't bend that way... B) I guess I can stick around for a bit. I'm not sure how long this will go on, it depends on how the cards fall in the next few months... Winter is physically difficult on me what with a chronic muscle disease AND a busted back causing an inordinate amount of pain and fatigue. Not much gets done by me during the cold months...

Bill and Brandon, just don't forget to give us a pic here and there of your builds, too! You don't have to post every pic, just one here and there. :D

Oh, and Bill, with you building a wrecker, of course I'd be interested! :lol::lol:

This is my entry for the contest. Revell Germany 359 with parts from the revell snap Pete. I will be using the sleeper and Cat motor from the snap kit. I was wanting to get this posted before the forum went down. I have got the cab primed and sealed and have completed the bodywork on the sleeper by filliing the interior tub holes on the outside back panel of the sleeper, still need to do plumbing and detailing on the engine and chassis.

IMG_0055.jpg?t=1294372024

IMG_0049.jpg?t=1294372024

IMG_0056.jpg?t=1294372024

IMG_0057.jpg?t=1294372024

IMG_0074.jpg?t=1294372150

IMG_0076.jpg?t=1294372150

IMG_0078.jpg?t=1294372150

IMG_0086.jpg?t=1294372229

IMG_0087.jpg?t=1294372229

IMG_0088.jpg?t=1294372229

This is my entry for the contest. Revell Germany 359 with parts from the revell snap Pete. I will be using the sleeper and Cat motor from the snap kit. I was wanting to get this posted before the forum went down. I have got the cab primed and sealed and have completed the bodywork on the sleeper by filliing the interior tub holes on the outside back panel of the sleeper, still need to do plumbing and detailing on the engine and chassis.

Looking very nice so far, Chris. B)

the filled steps look cool, but it's the single headlamps that got my attention :lol:

Thought I could try to squeak one by, you caught me!! :lol: No real progress lately, broke one of the snowmobiles the weekend before last and two more last weekend so I've been in the garage instead of at the model table. My son joined the Navy a couple months ago on the delayed entry program, so this is our last winter with him for a while. Trying to do as many "family" activities as possible before he leaves!! ;)

Rick

Where's a good place to get rubber tires for our rigs other than Krauts? While the site was down I picked up a Revell W900 that I want to add to the build. I took pics that I need to post and I'm just about through with it.

Problem is the tires. Without looking back, someone had the same problem with there tires. The rim has a lip on it and actually sits inside if the tire. The sidewalls are so soft they will never hold the weight of the tractor. Krauts wants 32 bucks for a set of 8 rubber drive tires. I only paid 25 for the whole kit at Hobby Lobby.

Any cheap tires out there somewhere??

I know a place that has a set of Amt tires that are pretty cheap. But they only come with the tires. Nothing else. I will give you the link tomorrow when I find it.

And highway, the carpet monster took a swing at me today too. I lost one of the headlights for my freightliner so now I need to either try to find it or figure out a way to remake one. Should be a fun time.

Thanks.

I found a set of tires that had two extra in one kit. They might work with the kit rims, but it looks like I might need to buy new rims too.

I hate that. They should have made some tires and wheels that will work with this thing.

Where's a good place to get rubber tires for our rigs other than Krauts? While the site was down I picked up a Revell W900 that I want to add to the build. I took pics that I need to post and I'm just about through with it.

Problem is the tires. Without looking back, someone had the same problem with there tires. The rim has a lip on it and actually sits inside if the tire. The sidewalls are so soft they will never hold the weight of the tractor. Krauts wants 32 bucks for a set of 8 rubber drive tires. I only paid 25 for the whole kit at Hobby Lobby.

Any cheap tires out there somewhere??

those tires are awfull.Ive read that you can super glue them to the rim.One guy said to cut the center piece out,claiming that this is what distorts them,I,d think you would need to glue them for sure then.Another guy showed using old amt tires with the centers left on to lock them to the rims,Jerry sells them at his decal store.Some stuff them with cotton balls to firm them up.I only had one of thes kits and parted it out before I got that far,so I can only tell you what Ive read.Give the cotton ball and super glue a try

those tires are awfull.Ive read that you can super glue them to the rim.One guy said to cut the center piece out,claiming that this is what distorts them,I,d think you would need to glue them for sure then.Another guy showed using old amt tires with the centers left on to lock them to the rims,Jerry sells them at his decal store.Some stuff them with cotton balls to firm them up.I only had one of thes kits and parted it out before I got that far,so I can only tell you what Ive read.Give the cotton ball and super glue a try

Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into giving that a try. It's almost completely built and made for a pretty nice rig, I think at least. I just need to finish it up and do something with the tires and wheels. Maybe I'll get some pics posted soon, too.

update on the Freightliner :blink: chassis is painted as well as the engine and it's starting to come together. anyone who wants to know specifics just ask

013.jpg

014.jpg

Looks good. Questions. That lubriliner as I have seen it called in the instruction sheets, does that really have two lines to it? My Reo only shows one single line to it. How does it work. Just hold extra oil till the engine needs it like the Moroso Accumulator that we use on our circle track and road race cars?

And what is the chrome deal on the frame in the last pic?

Edited by dwc43

Here's my start on a Ford LN9000 that I need added to my list. And since it's sacraledge to put a Dodge on that Ford truck and it would have never happened back in the day, this one will carry the 69 Ford Torino Talledega for it's load. The 429 has been started in the Torino, but I forgot to take a pic and already put my camera up.

01510.jpg

01610.jpg

01710.jpg

Here's pic of my KW W900 from Revell. It's not a bad kit and so far it's turned out pretty good and to my liking. Only bad thing is I need some drive tires for it. I used some PE parts for the seat belts from Detail Masters and the cb radio from Sour Krauts. IT may be hard to see in these bad pics (sorry about that) but the back side is gold like some radios and has the antenna lead to the back of it. It's black with a silver face and coiled wired cord. It also has a 3906 Cat and the flash makes the color more shiny than it really is.

Still have work to do on this one. It's not finished yet by any means, but here's a sneak peek.

00910.jpg

00110.jpg

00210.jpg

00310.jpg

00410.jpg