Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tractor Trailer Community Build

highway

Think I'd be able to get in on this one? I have a Pete 359 that I'm building. All that has been done is paint of the body and frame and addidng different tires. I will be able to get some pics up later tonight or tomorrow.

Sure thing, Ben (I hope that's OK B) ), I will get you added in the morning. I was at the mother in law's all day working on her computer, so I just don't feel like editting the list right now! :lol:

Hey Matt, not that it really matters, but I ran across the MIA instruction sheet from my COE this weekend. Coulda swore it was a Chevy Titan 90. Turns out, that crazy things a GMC Astro 95. Like I said, not that it really matters. I was dealing with just a cab and frame parts and am not too familiar with the minor details between the two. Anyway, thats where I'm at on things. :wacko:

Barry

An update for me is, I have almost everything for the truck chassis done. Cab is mostly painted. I probably wont have it done until around january because I have to wait awhile for some decals. And then the reefer, well Im still trying to figure out what to do with that. On another post, Dencon resin's, I believe his name is Matt had some Ideas for casting a reefer unit since we got a decent amount of people who would buy them so reefer will be probably around january too when I get that done.

IF you need a refer unit Krauts has one, but it's a little pricey for my taste.

http://sourkrautsmodeltrucks.com/?page_id=3&category=4

They have some great stuff though. I'm waiting for my second order so I can get back to work on my trucks.

IF you need a refer unit Krauts has one, but it's a little pricey for my taste.

http://sourkrautsmodeltrucks.com/?page_id=3&category=4

They have some great stuff though. I'm waiting for my second order so I can get back to work on my trucks.

Thanks for the link. Where is located so I know what to expect as far as shipping? Are they in the US?

HMMMMM, I wonder if the boss of this CBP would let me enter it here, just with a normal road truck engine in it!?!? B):blink:;)

Unfortunately Matt I can't allow that, per the guidelines the kit had to be un-started, or if started no significant progress made. Tearing apart a build and re-building an unfinished build for a community build project is far too many builds in one sentence to permit you to proceed with it. ;):lol: :lol: B)

Edited by niteowl7710

Thanks for the link. Where is located so I know what to expect as far as shipping? Are they in the US?

BCR Ventures

617 Rt 52

Walden Ny. 12586

Placed my first order on Friday night, got e mail confirm order shipped on Mon. got order on Thurs.

Just sent in another order on this past Friday night, got e mail confirm Tue. morn. Bet it gets here by Friday. I love the way there shopping cart does not take you to another page and it just pops up and it also runs a tab in the left margin of the page. I got decals and a bunch of other resin and non resin parts. Happy with all of it. Two things that stood out was the slam locks and off road driving lights. Made of real chrome metal and very heavy. I'm sure if you get the refer you will be pleased with it if it turns out like the other parts I got from them. Just ask Highway, he pointed me in there direction some time ago for something that I needed.

Thanks for locating those. I do have one more stupid question though. I don't see a use for two of those in a truck, so what would have been on the second pod? Maybe a regular full size speedo? Seems like trying to read that tachograph would be a little hard to do at speed down a busy hwy with a loaded rig. After looking at it again, my guess would be a normal tachometer since it does not have one, just the clock and speedo. Going to have to fire up the printer and see if I can make one to fit now.

Thw tach-o-graphs were a speedo and a tach. It was so the company could monitor how you drove the truck. Some, if not most, satelitte systems transmit that info as well.

It will be awhile b4 I can post pix as that will have to wait until I get home. As stated earlier, my build will be my screename, a KW pulling a flatbed. The trailer kit will either be the Great Dane Extendable flatbed, or the AMT Fruehauf flat. I'm leaning towards the Fruehauf, but I'm not sure. As for the tractor, I only know it will be a Kenworth with a Cummins engine(that way it truly represents me :blink: ), just not sure about cabover or conventional. I will get pix up when I can, as soon as I decide.

Edited by FlatbedKW

An update for me is, I have almost everything for the truck chassis done. Cab is mostly painted. I probably wont have it done until around january because I have to wait awhile for some decals. And then the reefer, well Im still trying to figure out what to do with that. On another post, Dencon resin's, I believe his name is Matt had some Ideas for casting a reefer unit since we got a decent amount of people who would buy them so reefer will be probably around january too when I get that done.

Not sure if you looked through their entire site or not, but I also found the fuel tanks that go under the trailer for your refer fuel.

http://sourkrautsmodeltrucks.com/?page_id=3&category=4&product_id=371

Edited by dwc43

Well, here's a little update. First pic is the bed completed, painted with metalizer and dull coated to look like weathered aluminum.The almost completed engine with the a/c unit sitting beside it. Some of the detail parts from Krauts as well.

00414.jpg

Next two are engine detail shots and Krauts detail parts in the background. I've got to get he a/c unit on the engine before I can proceed. I think I figured out how to do it if I can find some used up belts and pulleys.

00710.jpg

00810.jpg

That looks great DW

Thanks. Since I took those the other night, I detailed the exhaust manifolds to the turbo to get red of that IH red and give it a rusty cast iron look. Need to angle cut my down draft tube on the end, but I'll do that after install to see how long to leave it. I also made a dipstick for it if it will hold up. I need to get some wire insulation to complete that. I'll dirty it up a bit since it's an in service truck, not a show truck. Still need to install the a/c unit on it too.

I also need to paint the wood side boards on the bed and weather them in a bit too.

I also painted all the interior pieces except the cab itself. It's strange how all that goes together. Installed the Chrome door handles, window cranks, door pulls and ash trays to the door panels.

Edited by dwc43

Looking very nice so far, DW. I need to know, what are the goodies from Auslowe you have in the pic, especially the two in front of the road cones?

Those are just a few of the two orders I placed to Krauts. The parts on the left of the cones are slam locks for the doors. Two types, pull type and bail handle that rotates used on utility boxes.

To the right of the cones is a 4 pack of cb antennas. They have a resin base that needs painting and wire metal whips. Guess you can paint them white or silver if you want too.

Far right is a package of PE wiper blades including blades for headlights. lol.

Just in front of the engine is a grey a/c compressor and one of the cb radios I bought. It had great details on the face, comes with a separate mic and a coiled mic cord.

To the right of the engine you'll find a pair of construction hard hats and fire extinguishers.

I got some other stuff too that is not in the shot. Did not want to give it all away too soon ... lol. I also noticed on Krauts site that if it says out of stock you can e mail them to see if they can get it for you. Great site, thanks for giving me that link some time ago.

Can someone help me here on the AMT White Freightliner? My question is on the "Hose Tenna". How is the "Vinyl Hose" wrapped around on it? Does someone have a pic from a past build that I can reference please?

You mean the pogo stick? I haven't built mine yet, but looking at the instructions, it looks like it attaches to the frame rail similar to the one in this picture.

73854423.jpg

I would find a small piece of square plastic stock to put under it like the mount in the pic, then drill a couple holes in the square piece to mount the air lines into. The pogo stick, or "Hose Tenna" as the instructions say, is just to allow the air lines a place to attach to so the lines do not lay on the frame, because they can't lay on the frame by DOT regs. You can't see it well in the pic (sorry, best pic I could find), but after the air lines exit the mount, they run up the pogo stick to the springs at the top of the stick. The springs help the air lines stay off the frame when connected to the trailer and also help give them some extra "strech" when the truck and trailer is making a very tight turn. There is also a spring in the pogo stick itself for that, too. From there, the coiled parts of the lines are free from the pogo stick and either connect to the trailer or to holders for the gladhands on the cab, like these.

YVJPJSY2KX6W29RWYI.jpg

I hope this helps answer your question, Justin.