Model Cars Magazine Forum

Studebaker Trucks

I have a 1960s Studebaker truck I got in a trade a couple of years ago. I have no idea who cast it, and it looks old. Unless you absolutely hate diecast, that might be your best bet. I have seen a few diecast Studebaker trucks in 1/24 - 1/25.

Would you mind posting a picture of it?

SJS did a couple of resin Studes- a '48-ish pickup and a custom Champ pickup. There was a company called Premiere that did a Champ pickup kit in the early '60's, its kind of crude and underscale, and is pretty tough to find these days.

And what/who is SJS? I am looking for I think the '48 pickup

And what/who is SJS? I am looking for I think the '48 pickup

It was Michigan caster by the name of Steve Strnad- he went out of business several years ago. R&R began casting some of his old products, but the Stude wasn't one of them, sadly. I'm not sure if anyone is currently casting this Studebaker, as far as I know, you're only going to find one in a collector/vendor's stash. :rolleyes:

I have to find it, but that shouldn't be too hard.

I'm probably off on the date of the truck looking at photos. It might be the 1948 Chuck mentioned, but until I see it again I'm not sure. It definately has that rounded look but as I recall the grill is flatter more like the mid 50s. I will post some photos when I find it.

I don't think I would want to part with it, I'm not a huge Studebaker fan like you, but it is a nice looking truck and an unusual subject.

I have to find it, but that shouldn't be too hard.

I'm probably off on the date of the truck looking at photos. It might be the 1948 Chuck mentioned, but until I see it again I'm not sure. It definately has that rounded look but as I recall the grill is flatter more like the mid 50s. I will post some photos when I find it.

I don't think I would want to part with it, I'm not a huge Studebaker fan like you, but it is a nice looking truck and an unusual subject.

Fine... :rolleyes:

Fine... :lol:

CLAY, ERTL DID A 48 STUDE P/U IN DIE CAST. IT HAS THE FLAT GRILLE. I THINK IT HAD FIELD AND STREAM GRAPHICS ON IT. PROBABLY DONE ABOUT 10??? YEARS AGO. IT WAS CLOSE TO 1/25TH SCALE..IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THE SERIES WAS DONE FOR FOR GIFT STORES.IF NOT FIELD AND STREAM, THEN IT WAS DONE FOR NATURE ARTIST THOMAS KINCADE.

The diecast ones are on ebay all the time but they go pretty high, i been wanting to get one to build for my uncle, he has one in his garage that he drag raced in the i think the late 60s early 70s at US 30, after he quit racing he parked it never to come out of garage again

The diecast ones are on ebay all the time but they go pretty high, i been wanting to get one to build for my uncle, he has one in his garage that he drag raced in the i think the late 60s early 70s at US 30, after he quit racing he parked it never to come out of garage again

That sounds cool, any photos?

AzTom

both Danbury Mint and Crown Premiums have done the 1937 Studebaker Coupe-Express, which was the first passenger-car trimmed pickup in the US. The Danbury model is pricey, but you can get the Crown Premiums version through Vintage Truck Magazine for about $30--and it's excellent.

Crown Premiums also produces a '37 Studebaker Woodie Station Wagon with Cantrell bodywork that is a beauty.

Art

IIRC, the other Stude pickup SJS offered was a Champ, but I'm not sure on the year...'60-'64 maybe? It had the same nose as the Lark and was much like this one:

studechamp.jpg

SJS really had some great stuff in their catalog. Another case of "should've bought it while they were still in business". :o