Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Dart project!!!

cruz

Hi there fellas, just wanted to share a bit of this build, it is another one I am doing for a club member who loves Mopars :o It is based on the new Revell Dart only he wants it factory stock with some Cragars. I am painting it with Scalefinishes paint color, Dodge F Light Green.

I have basically finished the engine and chassis and will soon be working with the interior which will be white and lastly the body. I added a few wires and hoses to the engine to give it a bit of more life, blackwashed it for a bit of character and placed it on the chassis for now. I will update later. Thanks for looking!!! ;)

Bobs68Dartproject004-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Bobs68Dartproject002-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Bobs68Dartproject005-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Bobs68Dartproject006-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Great to see you working on this, I'm sure it will be another terrific build from you. I am always impressed with how clean your work is and the attention to detail you incorporate in all your builds. Have you ever had your models photographed for any magazines? My father works as an editor for a local mopar club magazine and wants you to send him some pictures for their monthly newsletter. Interested?

• 3 weeks later...

Took advantage of some time over the last few days and decided to finish painting the body, I still have to do a bit of wetsanding and polishing once the body is dry. The interior and chassis work is completed so it's not much more I have to do to complete this, just some BMFing and decals here and there and that's it!! :lol:

The inside lighting is making the car look goldish but is actually more of a light green, I will try to take some shots of it outside later on, in the meantime, this is what I have done so far....

Bobs68Dartproject2009-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Bobs68Dartproject2007-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Bobs68Dartproject2005-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Bobs68Dartproject2003-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Bobs68Dartproject2011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I decided to use Testor's Lacquer Clear for the first time, I've heard good things about it so hopefully it will work well, at the moment the body is in the dehydrator until tomorrow, I should have this polished and waxed by Sunday, God permitting of course!!! B)

thats looking badass for sure. You add a wash after primer to get that effect in the body panel dividing lines?

Thanks guys! Yes, I add a blackwash to the scribed panel lines after the primer coats and then just paint the body, that takes care of the panel lines!

Took some pictures outside, now you can truly see the color of this thing, a lot more different than the inside photos. I have wetsanded and polished it already and went ahead and placed the rear decal. I love the contrast of the white decal and the body color!!! :)

I think the decal is a bit too wide when compared to the 1/1 car, also, I am not too crazy about how the side stripes look, they should be completely straight instead of in an angle, something I could not do much about since that it's the way they were designed. I am sure someone makes the correct ones out there and I will get them when I am ready to do my own Dart. In the meantime, here are the photos......

Bobs68Dartproject3008-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Bobs68Dartproject3006-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Bobs68Dartproject3010-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Bobs68Dartproject3004-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This is a picture of the real thing so that you guys can see the issue with the rear decal, also, this is the inspiration for the color chosen B)

new68gts-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Color really goes well with the car Cruz, the decal still looks good, not much of a difference when compared to the real car. Question, do you thin the Scalefinishes paint before shooting them? How do you like them?

Thanks fellas! :) Scalefinishes paints are already thinned when you purchase them and yes, I can tell you I love them and yes, the owner is a very good person to deal with, I would recommend his services and product to anyone anytime!!! ;)

Oh man Cruz, excellent work on this beauty, I think you chose the perfect color for it, then again, I am partial to green on any car. May I suggest something? If you cut the decal in half, lenghtwise, you should be able to make it look more correct, I think this is where the problem is. It would be a little more tricky placing them at the end but it would yield better results because you will be able to thin the decal to the correct thickness from the middle out. The very thin lines should work okay, no need to alter them.

I absolutely love factory stock Mopars! This'll be AWESOME! I think everything looks just fine on it, I just wanna try out that blackwash stuff, where do you get it?

Fotki seems to be down now but if you type MIC washes under google images, you will see the picture of the stuff I use for that, well stocked hobby stores usually carry it but I am sure you will be able to find it through the web. Here is a link to a page where someone is actually teaching the use of the product, I think it's absolutely great for panel lines and it comes in various shades....

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.scalemodelguide.com/media/images/2009/10/26/MIG_wash.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.scalemodelguide.com/guide/painting/paint-washes/&usg=__qE1ZFsU6djSwS4o8GTNyZeRg4wQ=&h=1249&w=1024&sz=137&hl=en&start=2&sig2=RONveLesqYbZ6MEjuTfn2A&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=ZI1tu3cuCzZ0LM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMIG%2Bwashes%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=Oq0PTaiXI8KqlAfD9ZT3DQ