Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Dart project!!!

cruz

Super looking Dart, Cruz.

Have you ever used "The Detailer" washes for panel lines?

Thanks Jim, and of course, the rest of the guys!!! :lol: I personally don't use The Detailer for panel lines because it's too thick for that, it's actually better for grills and other little things but to be honest, I stopped using it completely. I was noticing that after it dries, you can actually pull it off like you would elmer's glue after using it on plastic.

If you look at the engine wash on this Dart in the first few pictures of this thread, I did that with Citadel washes, the ones used by the kids that paint the small dragon type figures for those fantasy games, I think the store is called Games Workshop? They actually sell various colors to choose from but I usually just buy the Badab Black.

CitadelWashSet-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

What I like about these washes is that they start out pretty light so it gives you options on how dark you can go if you so desire. They are very thin and are specially good on small parts. This is the engine on my Hurst Olds which I completed several months ago, I gave the engine block 2 coats and used the washes sparingly around the rest of the parts like the alternator, air conditioning hoses, carburator, battery and other areas.

CompletedHurstOlds044-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

CompletedHurstOlds041-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I prefer using the MIG washes for the panel lines, just one coat will do for this. I have not tried it on engines or anything like that but I have had good success with the Citadel washes so I will save the MIG bottle for just the panel lines. :)

Edited by cruz

Thanks for the tip on the Citadel washes. I've thought about buying these paints before but was unsure of how well they would work. They definitely have a wide selection of colors.

The work on your Dart is looking fantastic. Makes me want to break into my stash of 68's and 69's. I'll have to pick up some of that ScaleFinishes paint. Jameston is a great guy to deal with. He and I did some trading a while back before I got my airbrush. Now I'm ready for him.

Later-

Thanks for the tip on the Citadel washes. I've thought about buying these paints before but was unsure of how well they would work. They definitely have a wide selection of colors.

The work on your Dart is looking fantastic. Makes me want to break into my stash of 68's and 69's. I'll have to pick up some of that ScaleFinishes paint. Jameston is a great guy to deal with. He and I did some trading a while back before I got my airbrush. Now I'm ready for him.

Later-

Jameston is surely a great guy to deal with. When I decided to order the paint for my '62 Catalina which was Bristol Blue, he e-mailed me and told me to forgive him because the order would take just one more day to ship, he was uneasy about the color he mixed and was nice enough to let me know. I told him not to worry because it was at least 2 weeks before I was ready to paint the car anyway. He went ahead and corrected the color and told me that he was going to send me a free bottle of primer for the trouble anyway. Again, I insisted that he didn't have to do that but guess what? I have a brand new bottle of his fine primer with my order. You just cannot beat service like that, so Jameston, thanks again my friend, you will be doing business for a long time.... :)

This is just awesome Cruz but, do you want some advice? No, doesn't have anything to do with constructive critisism, it has everything to do with keeping this build, I asure you that you will be crying after handing it to the owner. :unsure: Better yet, give it to Gregg, he will have something to add to next month's cover of the magazine.

This is just awesome Cruz but, do you want some advice? No, doesn't have anything to do with constructive critisism, it has everything to do with keeping this build, I asure you that you will be crying after handing it to the owner. :unsure: Better yet, give it to Gregg, he will have something to add to next month's cover of the magazine.

Completely agree with you Kevin, he will be crying and regreting it. Mi pana, estas cab$^$^!! B) Give it to me man.

Yeah, that looks amazing, as always! I can't wait to see more. Looks just so great.

I got this kit for a christmas present yesterday. I meant now Revell Special Edition Hemi Dart. I think it is the basis of this build too? It was very great model kit and I'm building it to Super Stock Drag Racer, but I think that you guys have seen enough these so I'm not going to post a topic, I think.

But your project looks very good, can't wait to see the next update.

Yeah, that looks amazing, as always! I can't wait to see more. Looks just so great.

I got this kit for a christmas present yesterday. I meant now Revell Special Edition Hemi Dart. I think it is the basis of this build too? It was very great model kit and I'm building it to Super Stock Drag Racer, but I think that you guys have seen enough these so I'm not going to post a topic, I think.

But your project looks very good, can't wait to see the next update.

Make sure to share your work with us please, no matter how many people are doing the same model, there is always something new to learn from everyone.