Model Cars Magazine Forum

'79 Z-28 WIP

Farmboy

Thought I'd post a couple of pics of a wip I've been fooling with. I tried a couple of new techniques with this one and they worked! The first 2 photos are of the blue tint in the windshield and rear window. Future and blue food coloring did the trick in 4 or 5 light coats. No runs, nuthin'! It looks foggy in the first pic, but believe me, it's quite clear. Must be the bad lighting..

JrcUAlMhltIoloGMWImHaOVQ7OjJv3u6.jpg

cmQs8fSKvN5m1NPsdDcJAI1jaCIsp8iK.jpg

These last pics are of where the interior is headed. I had to scratchbuild the ears on the seat backs for the belts. The belt itself attaches to the roof just aft of the tbar panel. The seat is 3 shades of blue. The plaid was done with high pressure and very thin navy blue/gray.

JATdk2F3LWMjkROrsFloQtkA6TcaC7J1.jpg

o5n7dvpHCqiCrlrUS2PlAuAobp4oOUwa.jpg

iq0NE3ijT4JthEaJsu2n1pKhrkHFgqjh.jpg

The body will have the correct Z28 blue stripe package (part of the kit). I had a glue bomb of another Camaro that had an automatic shift so I replaced the standard shift. It will also supply me with the brake booster and a few other things. As always, comments and observations welcome.

A couple of more pics, not the finished model but almost there. I have yet to add the tail lights. I'm going to try the Future/food coloring for the transparent and amber. The tail lights are clear so I'm hoping for the best. The wheels in the photos are not the ones going on the car, those ones are currently in a baggie with oven cleaner getting the chrome stripped. The seat belts come from a 'pod' on the inside roof. I found the solution in using the clear curved parts of a pair of google dolls eyes. Glued to the roof with a small slot in them and painted they look great! Once the wheels are on it's engine work. I did forget to add the semi opaque sun strip to the top of the windshield. Guess I was too excited at seeing the tint working out. Anyway, next shot will be the completed car. Comments and observations welcome.

mrUt6lT2B4SQphMuj1nAIWGkUeGIGg5p.jpg

rt0fns9Oah5HDI6f2BI1hFD6D6iKtpSj.jpg

The seats look great! I had a neighbor down the street, when I was a kid, that had one of these. It was her Mother's car. I always thought it was really cool. Of course, that was when I thought the A-Team was cool too. LOL. Nice job on this. So you mixed the food coloring and Future then airbrushed it on? I just saw someone else use a similar method to create limo tint on another forum. http://www.escalemodels.com It turned out great also.

cposada...

A guy shouldn't have this much fun with food coloring! These are the tail light lenses. The red is straight red and future. The amber is a mix of about 7 yellow/2 red drops to a small amount of future. I didn't apply them super opaque as I could have as I'll be puttimg BMF behind them. Thought it may be of interest. Comments & observations welcome.

lHdb7Egvef57f0QAHDJbFuNsUB0CJ5rD.jpg

Nice looking Z, Mike. The taillight treatment looks good; can't wait to see it installed.

Your model generates fond memories: I had a '78 Z-28 in black with the gold/bronze stripes and gold-accented turbine wheels. Great car; wish I still had it!

:lol:

...7 hours later the lenses are dry and mounted to the rear over BMF. Model obviously needs dusting! Also, the wheels are chrome spoke/rim and finished with burnt jet exhaust. I first sprayed the chrome wheel with future and after drying applied the burnt exhaust paint. I then used a microbrush with thinner and removed the paint on the spokes without affecting the chrome finish. You have take my word for it in this pic, maybe I'll get one not so washed out next time. Comments and observations welcome

jDQFAG4KftLJHNGaAFv26FLCASmw3pkp.jpg

Finished. The license plates and antenna are on the bench waiting to be put on. I learned a couple of new techniques along the way with this build. Hope it was of some interest. The wheels by the way are from a '70 MonteCarlo Lowrider kit. Comments and critiques welcome.

D3BQB3eKAnhcCHVq7dDA34qdFiDvbe7C.jpg

next up is the '58 Impala from American Graffiti.