Model Cars Magazine Forum

REVELL 48 FORD CUSTOM

38 Crush

Well, I think one of these enterprising individuals who likes the parts lineup of the new Revell kit - but wants a stock height top - should buy both and combine the new kit with the old body ... and let the rest of us know how it goes. With photos.

It should be do-able, and we would have even more kit-bashing options ala Revell!

Well, I think one of these enterprising individuals who likes the parts lineup of the new Revell kit - but wants a stock height top - should buy both and combine the new kit with the old body ... and let the rest of us know how it goes. With photos.

It should be do-able, and we would have even more kit-bashing options ala Revell!

The IMC coupe kit? Godspeed to anyone who wants to mess with that thing!

I've heard that kit isn't too tough to assemble IF you ignore the instruction sheet and assemble it in the way that seems logical to YOU. What the guy meant by a way logical to me is a bit unclear, but I do have one of these (1970's Testors issue), and I'm thinking of giving it a go.

And yeah- that Perry's Coupe is something I've wanted for a while, but I'm not buying one due to what I've heard about his order turnaround.

I have had a hard time with Alclad lately. I don't know what it is. Before, I used to be able to get almost chrome finishes, now, nada!

Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Using Tamiya Black, like always, 10-15 lbs airbrush, light coats.

It's weird.

;) When all else fails: FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, use a black Enamel, preferably Alclad Black enamel, the Tamiya lacquer just doesn't have the depth & adhesion to work properly with the new alclad formulas, P.S. after a tip from Tubbs: aka Gary Davis, try the polished aluminum, it actually has a better shine than the chrome, or you could try "Spaz-Stiks" new Ultra mirror chrome, it can be used over ANY gloss black, & has an excellent shine.

Instructions, what dat?

I had no problems before, that was the thing.

I will try over emamel, but have doubts.

I tried the Spaz-Stiks spray chrome, it's so so

I have a little of the polished aluminum left, but it's more like, well, polished aluminum.

I'll see what happens later this week.

Thanks, Del

I've heard that kit isn't too tough to assemble IF you ignore the instruction sheet and assemble it in the way that seems logical to YOU. What the guy meant by a way logical to me is a bit unclear, but I do have one of these (1970's Testors issue), and I'm thinking of giving it a go.

And yeah- that Perry's Coupe is something I've wanted for a while, but I'm not buying one due to what I've heard about his order turnaround.

As soon as the cash is in......He turnsaround and is not heard from for months...........

Meh...I'm all done holding out on Revell doing any 'alternate' versions. It was,what, a 13 year span between this coupe kit and the original Convert and Woody kits? The Tudor and 5-window Deuce kits were about a decade after the original Roadster and Speedwagon (though the three-window didn't take nearly as long), and the 'no-brainer' hardtop version of the '72 Cutlass that everybody (including me) is chomping at the bit for still hasn't happened. If Revell is doing a stock-height version of this, it won't be until about 2016 before I even begin to think of seeing it on the shelves. But hey, I've been wrong, and for all the guys who want a stock height coupe kit, I really do hope I'm wrong this time. But I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure! B)

Okay, mixed up the timeline on the Deuces a bit! And I hadn't taken into consideration Revell has changed ownership about as often as Chrysler over the last decade or so. I also hadn't considered the 'custom as opposed to hot rod' angle until you mentioned it just now, but I clearly see your point on that. Sounds like a plausible theory to me, but you still won't see this cat holding his breath for a stock-top '48 coupe kit in the cards anytime soon. B)

Ken Hart wrote: "Thew three-window was the original '32 Ford kit. It was released in 1996. The roadster and Speedwagon followed in fairly quick succession. In fact, I seem to recall Tim Boyd writing that he received test shots for all three kits in the same package."

Ken....you recall is exactly correct! Cheers....TIM

;) When all else fails: FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, use a black Enamel, preferably Alclad Black enamel, the Tamiya lacquer just doesn't have the depth & adhesion to work properly with the new alclad formulas, P.S. after a tip from Tubbs: aka Gary Davis, try the polished aluminum, it actually has a better shine than the chrome, or you could try "Spaz-Stiks" new Ultra mirror chrome, it can be used over ANY gloss black, & has an excellent shine.

Gregg...I also had problems with Tamiya gloss black..the Alclad chrome looked great but rubbed right off. I too (eventually) read the instructions where it said to use Black enamal. Testors Gloss Black enamel + Chrome Alclad = problem solved. TIM

I love the fact that they are coming out with this kit, it has a lot of the parts that I have been looking for to use on the 48 convertiable Im building. Is there a release date as of yet?

According to my source at Revell,,,,their distributor started shipping kits to the retail stores with the special merchandising agreement with Revell/Hobbico the week before last. Based on that, I would postulate that the kits may be on sale in the stores in a matter of days or weeks.....TIM