Model Cars Magazine Forum

REVELL 48 FORD CUSTOM

38 Crush

The door length shouldn't matter- it would just be a simple matter of rescribing a new door line in the coupe kit to use on the convert. I'm about 99% confident that piece will fit the convertible body, if the body is the same length (as far as I know, the 1:1 bodies share similar dimensions), and Revell got the shapes and contours close on the two bodies.

same here ! It's still not a true kustom chop with the rear lower than the front ( judging by the pics, i'm waiting for mine to be sure), but at least it's not a bonneville type angle top chop like on the Merc ! An the overall proportions are like the real one, unlike the merc which looked like a ( 50's ) russian interpretation of a Mercury :wacko:

How is the top "not a true custom chop"? it certainly wasn't a mass produced option, or a dealer installed package. is there some rule book I missed about what you can or can't do to a custom car? If I chop the roof on a1:1 car is there going to be a guy at a car show with a nascar style template checking to see if my modifications are within spec?

The thing I don't understand is: Half the cost of a kit is the complex mold to make a one-piece body! All the other pieces are molded in a two part mold and are quite a bit easier to make than is the mold for the one-piece body.

So, if Revell is going to make another kit with a stock body in the future (Provided Ken's suggestion is correct)... why spend the huge amounts of money for another body mold? All they had to do is mold the body separate from the roof and mold two roofs that the builder can choose. At that point the kit is indeed a 3 in 1 with stock being one of the options just like in the glory days.

Makes no sense and I mourn the death of 'logic' in our culture.

Besides, no two chopped bodies at a car show are the same. That is because two different persons were doing the cutting and welding. Both artisans in their own right. When a model company chops a top on a model kit, it rarely satisfies my eye unless they follow the classic lines of the top chopping zen masters Barris, Westergard, Winfield, Jeffries, Alexander Brothers, et al!

I was wondering about that, it seems like a ready made chopped top (just cut off the stock top and add the chopped roof) would be a nice option. Not as simple as the molded in chopped roof, but it would greatly reduce the difficulty of a chopped top without forcing one particular style of chop on everyone.

Now if the body has actually been narrowed as Zed suggests then I guess a stock roof height would be rather pointless.

I'm with Mr. Gyro Swatson. Each chop is unique, but there are proportion rules (vague at best) that should be followed. And you don't see many chopped 48s. This one looks odd to me through the side windows. I think the B-pillar is too high but the stock roof did hump in the same spot. I also think the aforementioned "Kustom" chop would actually refer to the way it would have been done in the shops that Jairus mentioned, with the rear being lower necessitating more slope to the backlight. made sense to me. Definitely should have a build review, preferably by that Sam Tate guy that used to do them. He's great.

The decal sheet is outstanding. Another triumph for the Graphics team at Revell. Sweet Dutchy pinstripes in multicolor.

Edited by samdiego

And if you really want to get technical, Darin, it was the Norse who first set foot on American soil while sailing in search of new grounds (they came in heavily through Canadian land today)

Yeah but those early Minnesota Vikings were beaten out by the Washington Redskins :P

Seriously though I plan on a couple maybe graft the stock roof from an old IMC kit!

Edited by bigphoto

Enough of this off topic and bickering.

I pulled out my old IMC '48 that I built years ago, and started to take apart to redo after I got better at building (no wonder nothing ever gets done.....).

I'll post pics of it soon.

Interesting seeing the two together.

Dave, it's called "modeling". Doesn't matter if the parts don't fit well, you sand, and putty until you are happy with the fit of the parts. It would be a different matter if there were a choice of WHICH stock 1948 Ford you could pick off the shelf. But when there is only ONE! Then complaining about it is moot.

Yes of course! Remove the splash pans and put on different hubcaps and bumper... 1942! (Of course I have to check Google as that was from my head) But I think the trim of the '42 is very similar to the '46.

Edit:

Bumper, grill and hubcaps. '42 does have splash pans. Signal lights are same as '46.

Edited by Jairus

J, I like it . . . I had not seen this before because I dropped my subscription to that OTHER magazine a long time ago. I love it, and clearly you have a love affair with surfing vehicles and surfboards. I can't wait to see your 1:1 build with the boards on the roof rack!