Model Cars Magazine Forum

mid engine corvette Finished 9/28

customsrus

with all the talk about a mid engine corvette I decided to try my luck at building one. took a c6 corvette moved the mid section forward (cab forward design lol). did not want to change the wheel base. moved engine to back by using a second front suspension. may not use this engine but set in here so you can see the idea. reshaped the back end of the vette. wheels are off the concept camaro. there are also bits and pieces of a ferrari in there also.

IMG_0317-vi.jpgIMG_0331-vi.jpg

IMG_0327-vi.jpgIMG_0330-vi.jpg

Edited by customsrus

heres a couple shots of interior frame ane engine. interior has been shortened and has scratch built rear bulk head. frame is scratch built using flat stock and two front suspension added.the engine and transmision have been modified to represent a transaxle setup.

IMG_0371-vi.jpgIMG_0370-vi.jpg

IMG_0374-vi.jpg

Edited by customsrus

Very cool. Are you going to make the engine visible through the rear hatch?

The engine will be visible through the rear hatch, I am not sure if the engine in the pictures will be the engine that I use. I want something a little more exotic, but the engine will be based on a corvette engine, not a foreign car.

Obviously, this is a very slick looking conversion. It has a nice mix of Corvette and Ferrari styling ques working very well together. I am very impressed with the over all look.

I did the same thing with the rear transmission, converting it into a trans-axle by removing the drive-shaft between the motor and trans on the rear engine Corvette I did a while back.

It would seem that more than just a few of us would like to see a rear engined Corvette.....will GM ever figure it out?

Finish this off nicely, I want to see the end product. :(

I did the same thing with the rear transmission, converting it into a trans-axle by removing the drive-shaft between the motor and trans on the rear engine Corvette I did a while back. ;)

I remember the corvette you did,very nice work. if I am not mistaken yours was the futuristic corvette that you formed a new body.Your model gave me the idea to build this one.Thanks

Looks good. Maybe someone from GM is watching...LOL I can't figure out why Chevrolet isn't doing something like this. They already have a transmission/transaxle that would work. Remember, the Vette has the transmission between the rear wheels already...Change the bellhousing and you can bolt the engine right to it. Anyway, back to your model. I love the layout, lines, and shape. If Chevy builds one, they should copy your design.

Frank

Looks good. Maybe someone from GM is watching...LOL I can't figure out why Chevrolet isn't doing something like this. They already have a transmission/transaxle that would work. Remember, the Vette has the transmission between the rear wheels already...Change the bellhousing and you can bolt the engine right to it. Anyway, back to your model. I love the layout, lines, and shape. If Chevy builds one, they should copy your design.

Frank

GM has done several mid-engine Corvette concept/show cars since the early 60's, but keeps building the front-engine Corvettes. Google mid-engine corvette concepts for more info.

• 6 months later...