Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rough year for classic cars

Floods of water, then mud trashing property in the southwest. I have noticed on TV a few glimpses of classic cars in the muck. A 1955 or thereabout Chevy pickup in a driveway, a first series Mustang half buried. Anyone know of any others? Of course I mean no disrespect to those who lost far more important property.

On a related bizarre note, a man wanted to show friends his Plymouth Barracuda, took a wrong turn in the gated community, and ended up on the Bush Compound in Texas. Secret Service was not amused. NOTE: I caught a glimpse on TV of the car, looks more like a 70’s era Mercury Cougar.

Edited by Jon Cole

John,

I've seen the rain in Calif on tv in Australia, but the pictures don't tell me exactly where the rain is falling.

I dont mean to come accross as to those that are in flood and in 5 months time will be in wildfire to sound disrespectfull... but...

A brother of mine has recently purchased a '34 Ford from around the Santa Monica area - somewhere close by anyway.

It's all original '34 except for the body which has been replaced by a fibreglass coupe body.

We were looking at the tv news and John mentioned the car he's just bought, and I said don't worry, it's got a glass body on it, it'll float!

We hope Santa Monica has good drainage, I've been there, walked on the pier looking at the beach and the Pacific, wondering why do all these people drive their cars down the hill onto the pier, turn around and drive back up the hill?, and there was a looong que of cars, what's the point in doing that? There's no parking on the pier that I can recall.

Anyhow,

James.

Maybe the extremely rare Barracougar. fun to say

Bloatedcougar, I saw one a few years ago near my house that had been hit by a car in the early AM. The furry kind.

Scary that they are that close (hundred yards or so)

um, too much coffee

Edited by samdiego

The classic car massacre of the year – or decade – has to be the windstorm at the Russo & Steele auction last January. Lots of pictures at this link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tjmyers769/RussoAndSteele2010Damages#

Here's just a couple:

DSC06906.jpg

DSC07030.jpg

Got to wonder how much Hagerty's and the other insurance companies paid out.

Edited by sjordan2

The classic car massacre of the year – or decade – has to be the windstorm at the Russo & Steele auction last January. Lots of pictures at this link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tjmyers769/RussoAndSteele2010Damages#

Here's just a couple:

DSC06906.jpg

DSC07030.jpg

i just looked at all those photos and that might be the worst thing i have ever seen!!!!!! i cant belive it!!! that has to be the worst thing

green hornet movie used 27 chrysler imperials mythbusters destroyed at least 2 beautiful imperials in the green hornet special.in the american version of top gear they trashed a nice 1971 cutlass s , and a fiero. mythbusters could have found and destroyed some junk imperials easily. they have destroyed some really nice older cars, like the fury that looked like a grandmas car.i really don,t think they understand cars, they often use the wrong type car for their tests ,like slapping a car in reverse while going forward , they concluded it can't be done,they used a late model car that the computer wouldn't let it do it. i,ve done it hundreds of times in demolitions derbies. the older trans. didn't like but they took it. the police car from american graffiti they used a 4 link coil spring suspension car to duplicate something done with a leaf spring car.that was rigged for the stunt i met the man who used to rig cars for movie stunt work .he was touring with chitwood at the time when i supplied the crash cars for them at local fair.but i can't say much i let Chitwood wreck a 67 mustang,a 66 marlin,64 falcon sprint,66 chevelle 2dr sedan,67 skylark among many others

Tragic - yeah, Rob. But if you're loosely hunting around for something to buy (like me), prices are way through the ceiling. Don't these sellers realize we're in a recession? I don't want much - just a '34 Ford 5 window coupe, full fenders, small block Chevy with a carb (no fuelie), auto, leather interior (preferably light grey), AC, and I'd like the whole car to be purple. Am I looking for too much?

Floods of water, then mud trashing property in the southwest. I have noticed on TV a few glimpses of classic cars in the muck. A 1955 or thereabout Chevy pickup in a driveway, a first series Mustang half buried. Anyone know of any others? Of course I mean no disrespect to those who lost far more important property.

Here is that Mustang I mentioned...

mudatthishomeoninHighlandCalif-vi.jpg

http://picasaweb.goo...ele2010Damages#

Here's just a couple:

DSC06906.jpg

DSC07030.jpg

Got to wonder how much Hagerty's and the other insurance companies paid out.

Uh oh! Better get Maaco!!!

:rolleyes:

or... "I'll paint any car, any color for $29.95. No Ups! No Extras!" -Earl Scheib

"I'll paint any car, any color for $29.95. No Ups! No Extras!" -Earl Scheib

Or, how about "I'll paint any car, any color for $19.95. No Ups! No Extras!" -Earl Scheib

Now, that, I remember back in Akron Ohio back in the late 50's and early 60's. My cousin took his 56 Ford to him and had it painted Red. In two weeks the paint was falling off in BIG chunks. They painted everthing except the glass. Now, the car was Blue and when that Red was falling off it sure looked funny. Goes to show ya, ya get what you pay for. Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

My mom had a 71 Nova painted by one of those type deals. Painted over all chrome too ! Only windows and tires didn't get painted. And as mentioned, shortly thereafter it began flaking off !!! Oh yeah, didn't even wash it either, painted over dirt and mud on fenders !!! I bout threw up !!!