Model Cars Magazine Forum

Build, collect, or both????

As I look at my stash, or collection to some, I've bought every model I own (about 70) for a specific reason, and plan to build them all. I don't consider myself a collecter for the reason I do plan on building what I have. How about you guys? :D

Both....I have plans to build most, but some of them I bought simply because I wanted them, with no real plans to build them.

For instance, I have the first issue of the AMT 59 El Camino and 53 Ford F-100, and going back to the second issue of the 65 El Camino. I don't have any plans to actually build them, but those kits, or cars, are special to me so I bought them anyway.

Most will probably be built, but who knows when? I seem to aveage about 25-30 builds a year, sometimes more sometimes less.

At the end of 2005, when I built 48 models, I estimated it would take me 44 years to build my entire stash, but I havn't built that many since! I've been putting more effort into each indivigual build and thus, taking more time to complete them.

98% of my kits are here "in case" I decide to build them. I have very few kits that I would not want to build. I don't have time-specific plans for too many of them. I like to do series of builds like I am on a Dune Buggy kick right now. I have always been on a Porsche kick, classic cars, moto GP, Minis, 60s-70s drag cars,etc.etc. I need blinders but the point is I have them in case I decide to build them. I try to avoid collecting because I feel it takes energy away from building. I do have some diecast but have recently begun a zinc abatement project. Almost all zinc based model forms will be leaving the building! Except for my minis. I have a 1/1 '60 Austin 7 in my garage and I couldn't part with my minis!

Guest zebm1

My stash should be much larger, but for sum thieving kids ina Cuban neighborhood...who's parents couldn't fathom any value in "toys". All of mine are for modeling, I don't usually model replicas...I just do what my imagination sees, or to some what it views. I finger my stash, although smaller than Ken's is worth maybe 5/6 K bucks.....yet all are re-modelable(don't look it up, iz my word) for my pleasure....all are just a medium thru which I can express my art. My 3 cents worth.....

:twisted: Zeb

Builder 100%...

I have one kit I collect. It's the Model King issue of the 66 Hemi under glass...only because I am sitting in the crowd on the cover between my friends Brian and Warren LOL...that's the only one I'll not build. If I get the hankering to build one, I'll get he new AMT release.

I have some that I do collect to keep, others I'll collect but will sell them off to finance supplies, etc. At club meetings I sometimes GIVE away semi-rare kits or supplies to good friends who'll give them good homes or need something for a project. Which sometimes ticks off the people who sell everything and the almighty buck is their god.

Lately I just buy what I want to build. I have more kits than most hobby stores so I'm pretty well fixed at this point.

Bob

I buy kits to build them. Ideally, I'll get to, because I have at least one idea on how to build every kit I own. I also buy kits just for parts, not caring that 80% of the kit will go "unused." It's still cheaper than resin most of the time.

So, let's see. At 4-5 builds a year and 250 kits...dang, it's gonna be close (God willing). :lol:

ps - there's something to be said for that initial joy of opening a kit and looking it over, ideas racing through your head. That's almost worth the price of admission alone. "Air building" rules.

Here's the way I figure it:

If you aquire kits faster than you build them, you're a collector.

If you keep and display the kits you build, you're a collector.

If you keep the box art of the kits you build, you're a collector.

Therefore we are all collectors and some of us are builders also

Just my thoughts

Carl Avis

Here's the way I figure it:

If you aquire kits faster than you build them, you're a collector.

If you keep and display the kits you build, you're a collector.

If you keep the box art of the kits you build, you're a collector.

Therefore we are all collectors and some of us are builders also

Good description..I buy much faster than I build...I buy 5-10 kits per month but only finish 1 or 2 per year lately.. so I have about 250 built kits, 250 'used' builtups to restore, and 1000+ unbuilts. I keep the box and instructions for all my kits.